If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Some pictures from the railway yesterday. Camelot has the Christmas lights on already I see!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  2. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Great pics of Cheltenham here, gotta say looks great in the Bluebell scenery. I'd imagine crew resident to the railway will have been taking notes how best to operate the loco along the line seeing as, all being well, it won't be much longer before Stowe's overhaul is completed.

David likes trains likes this.
  3. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    The first pan shot is a cracker David. I get the impression this extended swap of 30925 and 80151 has been well received on the two lines and it's certainly providing us with plenty of great shots of them in new environments.

Regards,

Dan

4. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    4MT 75027 was sent to Goodwood House for the weekend. Must have been quite the extravagant birthday do at that price tag. Still, that's one way for a 'dead' loco to earn it's keep...

upload_2021-10-30_16-18-39.png

5. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

She looks nice and scrubbed up enough to be operable at a glance! Any idea where she is in the Bluebell's overhaul queue?

6. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

£5m?? Makes you want to know whose birthday it was. Someone who hasn't got to worry about inflation, for sure.

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Great photo of 30925. Just wondering if there could be a chance in the future of further loco swaps for a short period of time.

8. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Sure I read that it's next overhaul will require major firebox work, pretty much par for the course now for the BR standards judging by other recent ones completed.

Got a soft spot for 75027 as it was the first loco I ever drove, before driving a car in fact. Long term ambition to build a 3 1/2" gauge version of it to LBSC's design but with detail improvements.

Regards,

Dan

9. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I reluctantly watched The Larkins last night on ITV, a remake of the excellent Darling Buds of May. I say reluctantly as I watched the first episode a few weeks ago which was quite frankly terrible. Dull and not even funny.
    Anyway a railway was set to be featured in last night's episode as the local branch line was due to be closed as it wasn't making any money and Pa Larkin wanted to "save it". Horsted Keynes Station featured quite a few times. Then a train was featured. First it was heard entering the station and the resident expert "trainspotter" identified it as a "BR 5, BR1B tender". Blimey, I thought, the program makers have actually been advised by the Bluebell and will be using 73082...... Then we were shown the train being hauled by Q Class 30541 The trainspotter wasn't much of a trainspotter then.
    Oh, and the reason the Line wasn't making any money was that the station master was pocketing most of the takings from the ticket office. Oh dear.
    Still at least the Bluebell will get some good PR from the broadcast.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

3ABescot likes this.
  10. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    I admire your tenacity for wasting an hour of your life watching such nonsense. Remakes of classic series are almost always awful

11. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

There’s a focus on volunteering in November’s issue of The Bluebell Times, along with news of progress on the Jewel in the Crown appeal.

In this issue:
    • The Jewel in the Crown appeal is off to a strong start – but there is still time to see your donation doubled
    • A young 9F Club member raises money for the appeal – by selling lemonade
    • Bluebell volunteer Chris Cooper is awarded a lifetime achievement award by the National Transport Trust, after more than sixty years dedication to the Railway
    • How volunteering in our museum led to a second career as a community rail line officer
    • The Heritage Skills Centre is signed off for use — and the carriage trimming team are first to move in
    • A photo retrospective from our hugely popular ‘Giants of Steam’ event
    • Local signal box name boards on display in the museum
    • An alien presence in SteamWorks!
    • And much, much more
    The Bluebell Times is published monthly on the second Friday of every month. The next issue is due out on Friday 10 December.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/bluebell-times/

Tom

12. maureen

maureen Member

Yes you are right remakes if any classic be it dramas, film, opera and ballet are all total rubbish, I wouldn't waste time watching them, especially modern remakes of operas and ballets, why don' t they leave them alone and produce them as they were written in the first place!

13. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I have seen many different opera productions, “traditional” and otherwise, good and bad of both. I’ll just observe that the best single productions I’ve ever seen were Jonathan Miller’s productions of Verdi’s“Rigoletto” (written 1850ish, set 17th century, updated to 1950s little Italy) and G&S “Mikado” (updated to 1920s scenario).

14. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    ...... and this week's winner of the prestigious NP "Thread Drift of the Week Award" goes to:
    :)

15. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I saw on the Bluebell's social media pages yesterday that, the Bluebell's Muesum has acquired a nameplate and plaque from Baltic Tank no. 333 Remembrance.

16. Jamessquared

The name plate and plaque are those carried in SR days, as here:

[​IMG]

I wonder if this is a very recent acquisition: I didn’t get it as a “museum morsel” for the latest issue of The Bluebell Times! The photos on social media show them resting on a platform seat so clearly not yet mounted and on display.

Tom

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    This is what the post on the Bluebell Facebook page says "The Bluebell Railway Museum has recently acquired both the original nameplate and plaque. They will both be on display in the Museum at Sheffield Park."

Jamessquared and Mark Thompson like this.
  18. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

Wow. Worth taking a trip to SP just to see them on display. I had no idea they still existed.
    Cheeky I know, but just had to put up this stunning header photograph from the latest Bluebell Times. Taken by Dave Bowles, it shows Clan Line and Cheltenham on shed during "Giants":
    At first glance, I thought it was a painting:
    Screenshot_20211112-193409_Drive.jpg

A1X, green five, 73129 and 4 others like this.
  19. Jamessquared

I’m lucky to have a small group of photographers - of whom Dave Bowles is one, and David Cable is another - who send me photos each month, so I am often spoilt for choice for the header photo. I believe that one came from a Jon Bowers photo charter one evening during “Giants”; I used another one from the same event inside. (Which itself could have made the cover, but that cover slot has a slightly non-normal aspect ratio and the slight crop was better with Dave Bowles’ photo.

It’s also nice having the museum team onside to provide ready access to archive photos. I figure I’ve got 7 years of “On this day” without duplicating a date: if we do that we’ll end up publishing about 250 high quality archive photos.

Tom

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  20. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Just with regards clan line - I think I speak for the committee and the society when I say how grateful we all are to the bluebell and its wonderful volunteers and employees. The last few years have been difficult for all but our trips to the bluebell really are special and much treasured.

Romsey, Johnme101, JMJR1000 and 4 others like this.