If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The vehicle concerned is, I believe, the elephant van:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/sceneryvan.html

It is one of about 100 projects being funded nationally from the Museum Resilience Fund.

Tom

2. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

I see that the Nene Valley will also be receiving some cash.

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

and Didcot.

4. Jamessquared

A quick note to say that, at least according to the PTI page, there will be a demo goods train running this Saturday - times TBA. I haven't seen this week's traffic notice, so can't conform at the moment, but will update if I find out times. I suspect it will be SP - Kingscote only, to give time to swap ends with the brake van.

Loco TBA as well, but the talk was that it would be Baxter - one of the aims of running the trains is to maintain competence in the operation of unfitted trains for guards and loco crew.

Tom

5. Jamessquared

Seems the goods is definitely running this Saturday, threaded between the regular service trains, which run to the normal service 2 timetable (09:45 / 11:00 / 12:15 / 13:30 / 14:45 / 16:00 ex-SP and 10:40 / 12:00 / 13:15 / 14:30 / 15:45 / 17:00 ex-EG).

Timetable for the goods is:

Depart SP light engine 09.20 arrive HK 09.35. Pick up goods train.
    Depart Horsted 10:20 with goods train arrive Kingscote 10:40
    Depart Kingscote 11:32 arrive SP 12:10
    Depart SP 12:50 arrive Horsted 1:10. Depart Horsted 2.05 arrive Kingscote 2:25
    Depart Kingscote 3.20 arrive Horsted 3.40. Leave goods train.
    Depart Horsted 4.35 light engine arrive SP 4.50

Only one brake van in operation, so there will be shunting at each end to swap ends with the brake van during the run round and also shunting at HK to pick up / berth the goods set at each end of the day.

Tom

Matt35027 likes this.
  6. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the info, Tom. I think a trip to Sussex is in order!

7. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Was coming back from Work earlier and as me and my Dad passed under Monteswood Lane Bridge we saw a stationary, but in steam Baxter which was a nice surprise. Any idea as to why she stopped there though as there isn't a signal near the bridge. She didn't have any stock behind her.

8. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Love to come down, but I'm working this weekend:(...... I will be at SP next week for a day with the S15 though.:)

Paul_Turner likes this.
  9. Jamessquared

I think (but am not absolutely sure) that the plan is to run the goods train on the first Saturday of every month, probably until about September or October.

Tom

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

IMG_8459a (1024x683).jpg

The late running goods at West Hoathly

A1X likes this.
  11. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Well that's underwhelming given the variety of more historic goods vehicles available. Or are they not "available"?

12. Grashopper

Grashopper Member

Assistant FLeet engineer Southern Railway
    I would guess that most of the goods stock needs an exam to run, being engineers vehicles these were probably "in ticket". This is also a trial running of a goods service to see how (in reality) it fits around the service trains, I hope it proves to be a success. Nice to see Baxter out, I've been patiently waiting for a turn on her for a couple of years now!

13. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Some of the pre-grouping wagons did come out to play at HK around lunchtime today; "Baxter" engaged in a bit of shunting between trains.

14. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    OK could have done with a Shark of some description and a few more hoppers, but its fine for me as a Ballast train.

Wenlock likes this.
  15. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

A little bit of an anti-climax I fear, compared with the IOWSR's monthly "timetabled goods" which is running again this year. Incidentally the IOWSR found the time in shunting the brake van from one end to the other tended to delay the passenger services, which of course pay the bills.

The IOWSR does have a Shark but on the "timetabled goods" runs a S.R. Pillbox and an L.S.W.R. road van. The latter, like some of the rest, is wooden framed and all are liveried and lettered in S.R. style.

Paul H

gwalkeriow likes this.
  16. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Incidentally I'd like to compliment the HK buffet on the quality of today's chips.

17. Jamessquared

From the Bluebell e-Newsletter:

"OP4: CLEARING WORK HAS BEGUN

This project is now well underway thanks to the generousity of so many people in 2014.

Both a Steering Group and Delivery Team have been established. The Steering Group will set the strategy and objectives for the project, and it will manage the funding strategy and approve all major expenditure and timescales against which delivery will be measured. The Delivery team will coordinate and manage all the work on site. The first objective will be to erect the roof and get carriages under cover.

However, the scope of this project is far larger than that. OP4 includes not just a carriage shed but a two-storey building alongside the shed to accommodate offices, a meeting room, and trim and varnish shops. It also includes a separate building to be used for materials and parts storage. The project will be planned from the start to permit subsequent phases--to fully implement all the facilities in OP4--as finances are raised.

The initial activity will be clearing the area for the construction of the roof and supports. This means the relocation of existing parts storage containers, plus the provision of some new ones and temporary offices and workshops. This work is under way, and it will be completed by the end of the summer. Also, detailed drawings and a specification have been developed for the building works.

Furthermore, discussions are under way with the preferred contractor, and site works are expected to commence in September. This contract is for the roof over the maintenance road and the four storage roads as defined in the Cash for Cover Appeal for which the target was £350,000. This amount has been exceeded and now stands at £366,000. If, by September, it reaches £385,000, we will be able to afford the roof supports and section of the two-storey building for the facilities described above.

For more information and to donate, click here.

By Roger Kelly, Fundraising Director"

18. Jamessquared

As an addendum to the above about Operation Undercover, I came across the following quote: (*)

"Taking into account on the one side the extra cost of repairs resulting from exposure together with the consequent depreciation of the vehicles, and on the other side the interest on the capital account required for the construction of sheds, he was of the opinion that the construction of sheds would be attended with considerable advantage."

The quote is from the Board Minutes of the LB&SCR in 1860; the "he" in question is John Chester Craven. The result was a shed for 200 carriages built at New Cross. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

(*) Quoted in LB&SCR Carriages Vol 1, Turner, White and Ffoulkes - ISBN 978-1-905505-35-7

Tom

19. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    Looks like a lot if interesting reading in the latest bluebell newsletter!

Nick

Jamessquared likes this.
  20. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Does that mean that the new carriage shed for the Bluebell will have a capacity of 200? :):)

flying scotsman123 likes this.