If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Update to the above: the PTI page on the Bluebell's website has detailed info on exactly what is happening re road closures, and what the access arrangements to Sheffield Park are for each day next week. See http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pti/index.html

Tom

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Bluebell is mentioned in a regional supplement with the National Trust Magazine under a heading "Travel in Style" next to a Jon Bowers photo of 34059.. I informs National Trust memebers that they can travel to Sheffield Park gardens via the Bluebell from London Victoria and mentions that National Trust members can get £ 2.50 off a Bluebell ticket until 30th september 2013. States that gardens are a ten minute walk and that there are buses at weekends.

3. Jamessquared

... and, conversely, Bluebell ticket holders can get a discount on admission to SP Gardens on production of a ticket.

These posters advertising through services from Victoria have started to sprout up around the railway; I'm not sure if Southern are involved, but certainly the NT and the Bluebell are doing joint promotions. It is also now possible to buy a through ticket to the railway from ticket offices on the national network, I think from any station within the old Network South East area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebellrailway/8696485820/in/set-72157633388476572 (not my photo)

Tom

4. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I know it's not your job, but I'm going to suggest it anyway… ;-)

Can you suggest to whoever's in charge of bb.com that they think about adding the words 'Wealden Rambler' to the lounge car page? I thought it would be a nice idea for an afternoon trip for the olds, but only knew the service as 'Wealden Rambler', and couldn't join the dots on the website - bit bizarre.

Had a lovely day out in the piddling despite that, and travelling the length of the line was brilliant.

Simon

5. Jamessquared

Thanks Simon, I'll pass it on to the powers that be. Seems a bit odd, but I don't profess to understand the commercial department's branding decisions all the time! Certainly the Wobbly Rumbler is what is on the headboard and how the train is listed in the STN each week, but I don't know if that is how it is marketed in our various flyers, or whether they use "lounge car service" in preference in our printed literature.

Glad you had a good day. Starting from EG, the view from the viaduct is certainly a pretty impressive start to the journey!

Tom

6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Just back from the Bluebell for a ride on the extension. First time I have been there when there have actually been bluebells in flower!

Scenically IMHO it is "more of the same" with the exception of Imberhorne viaduct from which the view is superb. East Grinstead station is a model of doing what is necessary and no more but to a very high standard. Please avoid the temptation to do too much more to it any time soon because, (again IMHO) there are higher priorities.

It is not very long since I was last there but it struck me how run down things like buildings and rolling stock, which passengers are likely to encounter, have become in a short time. This is particularly true of the vehicles on my train, both inside and out. Understandably thoughts and resources have been elsewhere but now "elsewhere" is nearly done.

On the credit side, everything is clean and those dealing with the public had exceptional people skills.

PH

7. Jamessquared

They are late this year! Probably getting close to their peak only now.

I don't think there is much planned, except for finishing off jobs (the water tower, most of the brickwork for which is done; and the canopy over the ticket office). The stated intention is to wait to see how traffic develops before making any commitment about how extensive any permanent facilities we might need are. The site is obviously very constrained as well, which limits exactly what can be done. Given that Network Rail have just rebuilt their own station, I'd suggest that any notion of joint facilities is now well and truly off the agenda.

The one exception to that "gently gently" approach is that, independent of any decision about permanent facilities, we may feel it prudent to build a platform canopy. Provision for that has already been made behind the platform. If traffic numbers keep up, I'd have thought such a platform would be very desirable in the winter.

Yes, that is why every public utterance from the chairman, and the tenor of the new long term plan, is about a period of consolidation, and getting to grips with what we have, rather than doing new stuff. As far as stations go, the new construction on Platform 2 at SP really showed up how far below ideal that station had fallen (especially as the major arrival point for our visitors) with the result that an active group (the Friends of Sheffield Park, or FoSP) formed to take charge of repairs and maintenance. The fruits of that are starting to show, for example, the restoration (and extension) of the Platform 1 canopy to match that on Platform 2, as well as some remedial work on the main station building - plus the PLC-sponsored refurbishment of the Bessemer suite (our main function room, used for weddings etc). Within the LTP, Sheffield Park will probably ultimately undergo the most dramatic change within the "heritage" boundaries, with extension of the platforms, re-siting the signalbox, canopy extensions both sides and new footbridge.

Kingscote has long had its own friends group ("the FoKers...") which is starting to show up the need for a group at Horsted Keynes, particularly to look at the Platform 3/4 canopy and buildings and drainage. Of course, the big issue at HK is the sheer size of the site! I wouldn't know for certain, but I would have thought by any measure of track, platform size, numbers of buildings etc, HK must be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, single stations on a heritage railway. I certainly can't think of a bigger one.

That's good to hear. Hope you had time to sample the new loos on Platform 2 at SP (and, more importantly, the new museum!)

Tom

8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Forgive me but paint would seem to be the first priority to save an enormous amount of potential repair. Yes the facilities on Platform 2 were "sampled". Fine. I suspect you will end up regretting putting the museum in prime platform space rather than in some odd corner. The Ffestiniog turned theirs into a themed pub!

P.H.

9. Jamessquared

Not quite sure what you are getting add with regard paint? We are painting things, and also - in the case of the platform canopy at SP, replacing all the zinc sheet on the roof, which is a big expense. As always with heritage railways, cash and numbers of volunteers play a big role in what is feasible, and at what rate! But for example, all the fences at Kingscote have recently been painted; all the signals there etc. But it is a veritable Forth Bridge!

As for the museum, it doesn't really take any platform space - some frontage, but not actual standing room. It's in teh same location as it always was, but now much expanded. It actually fits into a rather odd shaped wedge of land between the platform and the carriage shed, which aren't aligned on quite the same axis. So it starts narrow and widens out - not an ideal shape for a pub, I'd have thought. We do also have a pub on the other platform. Also - I would say this, wouldn't I? - we are a preservation society! So we do have a responsibility under our core aims to do more than just coal and water our passengers: educating them is an important part of our mission, as well as properly preserving our many small artefacts in our collection. The museum does have full accreditation with the appropriate national standard (MLA? can't remember off the top of my head).

Tom

10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Thanks Tom

Sorry to prolong this! Quite agree about shortages of labour, money etcetera but this is exactly where I am coming from. Much easier and cheaper to repaint than to have to replace. Have a look at, for instance, the locoshed windows or the footbridge.

As for the museum I take your point about site constraints. However the lavatories, although fine, could be a tad larger with advantage and the museum does have quite a bit of stuff on display which is not specifically Bluebell. There are examples though, of heritage railways where the museum encroaches on valuable space adjoining platforms to a far greater extent. I am not "anti museum" at all (I work for one) but they should not take up too much prime space on heritage railways.
    Paul H

11. Jamessquared

Yes, though I don't think the museum is actually taking up "prime space" - it is occupying a wedge of land that otherwise would probably be wasted. Anyway, it (and the toilets) are built now, so I don't suppose that their footprint will change for many years.

As for the museum having items that are not specifically Bluebell related: the BRPS core aims include:

That is to be interpreted within a general constraint of applying to the LB&SCR, SR or BR(S), but explains why the museum has items of interest more widely than just relating to specifically the Lewes and East Grinstead Railway, which would be a very narrow focus. Periodically the Museum aquires new artefacts within those general guidelines. So for example, we have (on loan from the NRM) two ship models, which aren't really Bluebell-related, but are illustrative of the very heavy shipping interests that the SR, and all three of its constituent companies, had.

Also worth remembering that if we got all purist about such things, we might want to get rid of 90% of our engines as having no pre-1960 relevance to the Bluebell Railway; not least our six (count 'em...) SECR locos!

Tom

12. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the Edwardian Weekend next June, especially the chance to see 178 in action for the first time (on my previous visits it's been due to work, but hasn't for various reasons) - am I right in thinking that all of the carriages will be pre-1923 for the event?

13. Jamessquared

Haven't seen a detailled timetable yet, except what it says on the Bluebell website:

"Coaches in service include the Edwardian London South Western Railway and South Eastern Chatham Railway compartment coaches. Plus the Metropolitan coaches and four wheeled carriages from London Chatham and Dover Railway & London Brighton and South Coast Railway."

If it is a two train service, we can keep everything pre-1923:

Train 1: Mets + 4 wheelers + (possibly) one of LNWR Obo or GNR saloon
    Train 2: SECR Birdcage + SECR 100 seater + LBSC bogie 1st + LSWR brake 3rd + (possibly) one of LNWR Obo or GNR saloon

However, that is not massive capacity (especially on train 2) so it is I suppose conceivable you'd have to strengthen that set with the Maunsells, which are a bit modern.

If it becomes a three train service, there would have to be a more modern set. (It's likely the GA will run on Sunday).

Assuming it is just as listed above, 592 would easily stroll away with train 1 and B473 with train 2, so I suspect there will be a bit of superflous double heading and / or loco changes in order to use 263, 178 and 323.

Tom

14. Rlangham

I suppose it's possible that the four wheelers could operate their own service from Sheffield Park to Horsted Keynes like they did last year at the 'mini-gala' for the launch of 263 back into service (didn't manage to get a ride on that though) with Mets separate as they were last year too. Will have to stock up on film for my 1917 Kodak camera, went through a whole film very easily last year at the Bluebell and just got the results back

15. Jamessquared

The Edwardian Weekend is a new venture, so it is hard to know how popular it will be. But bearing in mind we have needed two six-coach equivalent trains even on regular weekends since opening to EG, it's hard to imagine it will be quieter than that. Given that fact, I can't imagine doing anything with splitting the Mets and 4 wheelers - we need every seat on every train to EG!

A 1917 camera? Pray tell more!

Tom

16. Rlangham

I really hope it's a success as it's my favourite era, and a great opportunity at the Bluebell as one of the few places that can do it properly (struggling to think of anywhere else except Tanfield with mix of rolling stock and locomotives). I use a 1913 model Kodak camera, which was made in 1917, using 120mm black and white film - I only get 8 photos per film! Will post some up later, have a lot of films waiting to be developed but have some from Beamish, Tanfield and the Bluebell

17. Jamessquared

The IoWSR could do a pretty good job of mixing Victorian / Edwardian locos and stock, though not also in Edwardian liveries. Not that livery matters once you are sitting inside!

I reckon that in about three years we should have doubled the number of four wheel vehicles in traffic to six - three Stroudley, three LCDR. The three vehicles currently under restoration are all going great guns: Stoudley brake 3rd 949, Stroudley 3rd 328 and LCDR 5 compartment 3rd 3188. The latter coach has been described to me as "half a hundred seater"...

Tom

gwalkeriow likes this.
  18. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
  19. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

20. Jamessquared

The One Show had a short piece about the demise of mechanical signal boxes, mostly filmed in Polegate Crossing box, but with a section in Horsted Keynes 'box and an interview with Charles Hudson, the Bluebell's signal engineer (for the last 53 years!)

Should be available here on i-Player - wind forward to 20'15".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b020swkq/The_One_Show_20_05_2013/

Tom