If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Extension3363

Extension3363 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No, but he is extremely busy with his day job at the BBC at the moment.

Dave

2. Zoomeg

Zoomeg New Member

Looking forward to the diesel weekend; looks like a good lineup :)

http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/diesel-weekend/

out of interest are you also running steam Sat / Sun? it seems usual to offer a token steam engine roster for those who turn up on spec knowing nothing about the gala;

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Not as far as I am aware: timetable and loco allocation for the weekend here, which doesn't show any steam.

http://www.bluebell-railway.com/file/264/gbrf-bb-diesel-gala-public-v.3.pdf

Tom

4. Zoomeg

Zoomeg New Member

Thanks for that; I'm there just for the diesels (this weekend; I love the steam on every other!) ;

there may be tears from those who turn up expecting steam, that's all (and not just the kids!)

5. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think the only steam is an evening Murder Mystery thing on Friday, which is why the evening workings only extend to HK with that happening at SP

6. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

How does one travel to the blueball via rail from London

7. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    There's a direct service from Victoria to East Grinstead.

8. Jamessquared

There is a half-hourly service from London Victoria to East Grinstead on Saturdays and Sundays, journey time is about 55 minutes, and the arrivals connect with Bluebell services. It's about 2 minutes walk between the two stations.

Tom

9. Jamessquared

Interesting arrival on the Bluebell yesterday afternoon:

https://twitter.com/northernbelletr/status/719948864619470848

The Northern Belle, on a charter train in connection with the Daily Telegraph Travel Awards. Guests were taken from Victoria to a "mystery destination" for the awards ceremony, the mystery destination being Kingscote Station. It seems the assorted travel hacks had never heard of RTT! ;)

Tom

10. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

It's quite a useful service. Myself and a friend are considering visiting the Bluebell some point this summer (when we both free and you aren't running a special event so it might take a while to decide). With the direct and frequent service to London, it makes doing the day trip from the Midlands possible and still have time for more than just a trip to and from Sheffield Park.

Jamessquared likes this.
  11. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Do u need a platform ticket if not traveling. Only able to have few hours there. Then back on Sunday for full day of riding.

12. Jamessquared

Yes - see here: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/timetable-and-fares/fares-2015/ (Those are 2016 fares despite the URL). Not sure exactly why you need one at EG as there is not much to see, but at SP there is a museum, loco shed etc; and the C&W workshop and viewing gallery at HK.

If you know when you are travelling, there is a discount with a "Bluebell Bonus" ticket, booked at least 8 days in advance.

Tom

13. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    The trains to EG usually stop at East Croydon where conections can be made with London Bridge, Thameslink and other services. I have done they journey from Crytal Palace (caravan club site) via Norwood Junction and East Croydon

14. Jamessquared

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  15. Jamessquared

And from the e-Newsletter:

INTRODUCING THE ASH PROJECT APPEAL

This appeal--for the Bluebell Railway's Accessible Steam Heritage (ASH) Project--is to provide £210,000 to match a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) Round 2 grant we are seeking of £840,000. As previously reported, the project received approval at Round 1 of the HLF application process in 2015.

Therefore, every £10 donated is worth £50 to ASH (or £52.50 if we can claim Gift Aid)!

The ASH Project aims to:
    • Improve the Railway's capacity to operate steam locos, including additional undercover storage in a new maintenance facility.
    • Ensure the survival of a unique collection of steam locos.
    • Create an exciting exhibition and display area for a wide range of visitors to learn about steam heritage.
    • Provide the opportunity for steam loco history and operation to be easily understood.
    • Target new audiences to increase visitor numbers and encourage return visits.
    These aims will be achieved by repairs to the Running Shed (including a new roof) and by permitting footplate access to some of the locos on display. Some space will be given to the interactive exhibits of the exhibition, including a mock-up of "Stepney".

This spatial change will more than compensated for with a new building where up to four locos may be stored or worked on under cover. The Running Shed will continue to provide space for loco preparation.

To make a donation online, visit www.justgiving.com/bluebell-ASH or else visit http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/trust/appeal/donate.html

Because the online charges are 4% of the donation, an old-fashioned cheque is preferred for donations greater than £10, sent to my attention at Sheffield Park Station, East Sussex, TN22 3QL. If you are a taxpayer, please download a gift aid form and send it along.

If the appeal reaches its target of £210,000, any surplus not required for ASH will be used to improve other buildings or provide tools and equipment for the Loco Department.

If the HLF grant application for £840,000 is not successful, any funds raised by this appeal will be used to carry out badly needed repairs and improvements to the Running Shed so as to protect, restore, and maintain our unique collection. Thank you for your support of the ASH Project!

By Roger Kelly, Funding Director

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    D1039 likes this.
  16. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

You will definitely be able to have a wonderful day at the Bluebell. If I can do it in a day from Liverpool you will have no bother. My advice would be to buy the Bluebell Bonus and Southern tickets in advance and also to use a contactless payment card on the Tube to make the journey easier.

17. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Well, I'll be using a box on my Staff Travel card while my friend will either being getting advanced tickets or getting a Super Off Peak Travelcard and then getting a return out to east grinstead from Upper Warlingham. The later way gives us flexibility.

18. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Just one small thing about this project. Where 1638 is in the illustrations with the loco and tender split to allow disabled cab access, should the need arise will locos be able to be swapped around without losing the disabled access? For example if 1638 was on display (as in the illustration) but was needed for overhaul, would another out of ticket loco be able to take its place or is the structure for the disabled access permanent and means that what loco gets detached from its tender would be unlikely to steam again.

Also of interest on the Operation Undercover page is this potential idea for the future.

''Outside the Operation Undercover banner, at Sheffield Park the ASH project plans to construct a 2-road shed on the site of the original small loco shed, providing much improved frost protection for the locomotives used during the winter, also covering the new loco washout pit, and providing a maintenance facility independent of the main loco works. A further way to cover more locomotives could be a roundhouse for the smaller pre-grouping locomotives, which would take space from the top car-park, or a small southern extension of the main loco shed.

These plans are still evolving, and input from around the railway is constantly being canvassed as these plans develop over the years. It is clear that the long-term aim must be, somehow or other, to get our entire collection of historic stock (locos, carriages, vans and wagons) under cover.
    A rolling stock museum/display building is also now being considered, since this is the best way to get further stock under cover in a way which ensures access for the public''.

19. Extension3363

Extension3363 New Member

With the roof now on the new maintenance shed attention has now turned to erecting the adjoining storage shed. This will be wider than the maintenance shed but extend as far south. Photos of the progress prior to last weekend's Shareholder's event can be found via the following link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/extension3363/26123186470/in/album-72157659146847649/

Dave

20. Jamessquared

It's a question I've asked, but my assumption is that there is a degree of flexibility so that over time the exhibits could be rotated according to operational needs.

I'm not sure there are any detailed plans beyond OP4 (the new carriage shed at HK) and this plan for SP, though it is recognised in the long term plan that even when those projects are complete, we still need more under cover space: exploring the scope of a large exhibits museum is in the LTP. As I understand, a roundhouse - although a very "Brighton" feature - is relatively expensive both in construction costs and land requirement with respect the amount of storage it actually provides. Operationally flexible for an active motive power depot (provided the turntable doesn't fail!) but not the best solution for storage of out-of-traffic vehicles.

Tom

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016