If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam 11th-13th October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by John Petley, Jun 14, 2019.

1. John Petley

John Petley Well-Known Member

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From the "What's new at the Bluebell Railway" page of the website:-

BR Standard class No.70000 "Britannia" and LMS Princess Coronation class 4-6-2 Pacific No.6233 "Duchess of Sutherland" have been named as our visiting guest locomotives. These two "giants" will run alongside our own locomotives at this three-day gala event. Our grateful thanks to the Royal Scot & Locomotive General Trust and the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust for the loan of their locomotives.

The original plan was for the guest locos to be 46100 and another unspecified LMS engine. I don't think the change of plan will result in too many sad faces. While one of Stanier's magnificent Pacifics on an LB&SCR branch line may not be some people's cup of tea and Britannias were not exactly local to Sussex either, nevertheless I would suspect that there will be plenty of people keen to ride behind both these fine engines. One interesting detail is that the Duchess is due arrive at Sheffield Park earlier in the month to work a tour to Bath and back with Steam Dreams the previous Saturday (5th) and could well therefore return facing Sheffield Park. Normally big locos face East Grinstead.

green five likes this.
  2. A1X

A1X Member

Generic IT bod
    No offence to Royal Scot, but that's an upgrade.

Can't wait to find out what happens to Britannia to stop it visiting this time, unless it's third time lucky?

Wingsandwheels likes this.
  3. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Amen to that! I've been hoping it would finally make it after the two previous problems. I wonder if the opportunity will be available to sponsor named trains again for the two visitors?

Regards,

Dan

Wingsandwheels likes this.
  4. Matt McFarlane

Matt McFarlane New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Britannia again, third times the charm i say