If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam, 28th-30th October 2016.

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by green five, Sep 7, 2016.

1. ykin01

ykin01 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just been looking at the loco roster for October. Just wondering if there is a reason why 30541 isn't listed running on the Friday of GOS?

2. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Last year the Q didn't run on the Sunday, S15, Camelot, Cheltenham and Bittern had a set each. All gala timetables I can remember have been four sets so guess there will be double heading and/or loco swaps to use all locos.

3. 847

847 New Member

Any idea if the Directors Saloon is running? Its not listed on the catering arrangements.

4. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    It didn't run last year, I don't think it goes out as often as other items of stock owing to it being owned by a different group.

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

If it is not in the catering arrangements, I suspect it isn't planned to be in use. However, if you are on Facebook, you could ask at the Howlden Trust's Facebook page as you may get a quicker answer there: https://www.facebook.com/GN.Saloon/

Tom

847 likes this.
  6. ykin01

ykin01 Member

Thanks - That's a shame as Friday is the only day I can visit & I was looking forward to seeing the Q run for the first time.

Also I believe last year they did an early morning/evening photocharter anyone know if something similar will happen this year?

7. 847

847 New Member

Thank you

Jamessquared likes this.
  8. jonpbowers

jonpbowers New Member

Assuming you mean a repeat of the night-shoot with 30541 at Horsted last year, this was being investigated as an option but currently looks unlikely due to lack of staff available to run it.

9. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

10. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Pity about this, especially after Britannia being unable to come last year. In a sense, no surprise as 70013 has also been pulled from virtally all its planned RTC main line duties for this year, including two further trips to Sussex on 6th and 13th December. No info on the 5305LA website or facebook page as to the reason. (I've just checked).

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

The text of their message is
    I wonder if any of the visitors to the MHR gala the week before could be diverted to the Bluebell rather than returning straight home? In some ways, Royal Scot might be the simplest, since she could use the L/E path applied for for Ollie. However, I'm not sure whether she will fit down the line to East Grinstead, and there's probably not time to get NR to run the gauging program.

12. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    Cromwell was due to arrive by road!!

13. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Disappointing news about 70013. I hope the Bluebell has some good luck with bagging a replacement.
    I wonder if the 8F that has just visited the Swanage Gala can be diverted to the Bluebell? She is from the GCR as well so I wonder if they could send her as a replacement for 70013?
    If not 43106 might be able to make a detour if she is not required back at the SVR in a hurry. 43106 would add nicely to the NE / MGN theme with 8572.

14. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what's the problem with 70013? It seemed OK at the Great Central Gala a couple of weeks ago and I see that it's booked for their end of season mini-gala in November. Doesn't seem like it's going back on the mainline anytime soon......

15. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with 70013, but she's being replaced by other locos for her booked mainline trips next month, maybe she needs more running in at GCR?

16. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    Indeed, there are gauging issues with the cutting side pushing the down-side station platform towards the track at Dormans which currently prevents anything out of the ordinary from making it down to East Grinstead by rail. When our SECR C-class and 8 vintage coaches went to Kings Cross for filming earlier in the year, the return was delayed until the foot steps were removed from the loco and several of the coaches on that side. In the past, some trips have been able to come in running wrong-line, but there seems to be a reluctance to authorise that now, probably due to the scope for upsetting the passenger timetable on the East Grinstead line.
    Once the platform moves far enough to cause problems for 377s, presumably they'll sort the problem out and we can again get trains in more easily!
    The intense timetable on the line (which has to be flexed slightly to create a path, with flat crossovers in the Croydon area another serious constraint) is another problem when trying to get things in my rail, and a pair of 73/9s sitting down on a ballast train on the branch recently will make the operators even more nervous about allowing anything to get in the way of the passenger services.

17. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    It "may" be used; the constraint on it running at Galas is because of its low seating capacity, and it is crewed from a relatively small pool of volunteers.
    Had we known more than a few days in advance that an LNER-liveried A4 was going to be running last year, I think it would have run! Because again we have an LNER-liveried loco running this year, again it would be appropriate, but depends again on whether the Howlden Trust can find crews to man the coach. So basically, no firm decision yet!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  18. 847

847 New Member

Thank you Richard, gives me hope at least! Love riding in the saloon.

19. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

As mentioned on another thread about 70013 being unavailable it looks like the 8F 48264 will now be coming to the Bluebell in place of 70013

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Mick45305 likes this.
  20. Harry Stanger

Harry Stanger New Member

Have to say the 8F has no interest for me at all...I know it might for others. I think the Bluebell should have called this an Autumn Steam Gala rather than Giants of steam.....70013 was going to be the only "Giant" as as that is not attending all they have are secondary and goods locos. Looking forward to the event, especially the B12.