If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bodmin & Wenford extension plans?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Broomhalla, May 29, 2009.

1. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Would have to get into the habit of looking both ways before stepping out of the door though...

2. Farlington Edward

Farlington Edward New Member

I've crossed that small piece of track many times taking the family to Rock and Polzeath, or John Betjeman's favourite place, Trebetherick, and often wondered where it went to, so thanks for the info. Talking of railways passing close to properties, the growing number of people who would like to see the former SR route reinstated between Exeter and Plymouth may care to know that the trackbed passes straight through the former stations of Bridestowe, Brentor and Tavistock North which are all well-preserved - I don't know what their current owners would think! Also several modern properties would need demolishing in Tavistock (including part of the District Council office site) but all in all the infrastructure remains and the job would be far less challenging than the Borders project. Including the six miles from Tavistock to Bere Alston Junction, there would be eighteen miles of track to be reinstated (though the Tavistock-BA is due to be done anyway); the track from Exeter runs as far as Meldon Viaduct (nr Okehampton) which used to have a head-shunt over it but is currently a cycle-way; I believe the structure is sound enough.

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have travelled along that piece of track on a train!! :) (in the days when you could just blag a ride on the Wenfordbridge goods by asking nicely!!)

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A trip never to be forgotten - I still treasure those photos of that classic byway.

John

5. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Saggin Dragon - thanks, I knew I thought I was right

6. Bertie Lissie

Bertie Lissie New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    My garage door stop is a fishplate found by that level crossing. Seemed churlish to leave it laying in the mud on the side of the cycle trail.

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
  8. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Good news indeed! They should be in a position for grants to be made much more favourably now.

9. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Any more recent news about this?