If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bournemouth Belle - 05/07/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Chris_Sav, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Are you on tomorrow's trip, Wayne?

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    I believe he is taking us down.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Straying further of topic, Arlesey has a staff of one - the booking office clerk. This guy would announce "no photographs" over the tannoy and when that was ignored, he'd come out of his office to remonstrate. Must have pleased anyone wanting to buy a ticket or make a travel enquiry. All other booking clerks at Arlesey have been fine over the years.

4. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Yes, Waterloo to Yeovil and back to Salisbury.

thickmike and Johnb like this.
  5. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Slightly later than all the rest, my shot from Vauxhall from last Wednesday morning. Second all of the comments on here about 35028 and the commitment shown by all parties for this train to run as it did, thanks to all involved.

[​IMG]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69575101@N06/35685468601/

6. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I think the best ever was on arrival at Kings Cross (I think it 60009), station staff said that anyone using flash photography would be told to leave the station. I asked why and was told that it could blind the driver of the engine. I politely, or not that politely, reminded that the train had come to a stop and was on the buffers waiting to be towed back to the depot and that they should use their common sense and leave us to photograph. I was threatened with eviction from the station and wasn't even using a flash. Where the hell do they find these people. We had another one at Woking yesterday when 34052 pulled in. A bloke with a SWT Customer Assistance vest on, stood in front of Lord Dowding's name plate, right in front of those wishing to photograph it. I ask him to move. He refused. I raised the volume and told him to use his bloody common sense. Please get out of the way. In the end he did, but laid into passengers who dared put their foot over the yellow line while 34052 was minutes away from departure. Was never like that in my railway days!!

Johnb and RalphW like this.
  7. 7143

7143 New Member

Engineer
    The SWT Customer Assistance guy at Woking is another unfortunate example of unnecessary behavior. But there are opposites too. At Farnborough there's regularly a young guy on the barrier. He always lets those wanting to see the steam services through the automatic barriers and onto the platforms, he provides updates when he can from RTT and tells normal passengers with children that there's a steam hauled train due so they are aware and can watch, if they want. At the same time he keeps an intelligent watch on what people are doing along the platform too. All down to individuals I guess.

Jamessquared likes this.
  8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I've always found the platform staff at Salisbury very accommodating when it comes to allowing you onto the platform to see a special come in.

Tom

9. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Had a set to with a "customer service assistant" at Surbiton once, Told me I couldn't use a tripod, I told him I could and would, so he called the BTP. They turned up and when they found out what was coming through they stood behind me to watch, much to the annoyance of the SWT CSA.

Matt37401, Spamcan81 and Will RL like this.
  10. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

I would echo how accommodating and informative Salisbury staff were yesterday for The Waterloo Sunset.
    I am led to understand there is one SWT staff member at Woking who regularly tries to tell passengers that the Dorset Coast Express has been cancelled during its summer operation, maybe this was the same guy standing in front of the nameplate.
    Reference the tripod comment I do understand from the NR guidelines that whilst photographing or filming is acceptable, you may be asked to not use a tripod if the station staff request it.
    Mind you I was once told at West Drayton that despite the fact I purchased a ticket to go into London, that did not allow me to wait on the platform for the steam to come through, only to get on the first train out! That of course assumes you could even force your way on a rammed (FGW as it was then) Turbo

11. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    If you are in possession of a valid ticket I'm sure they have no right to do that. I think I would have refused to move

12. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

I probably would have done too, but he challenged me just after a Paddington train had departed, and the steam came through before the next London train, so did not think it was worth the agro.

13. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member