If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bowes

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Robkitchuk, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sad to say but according to a post on the bowes railway blog that they will no longer be running trains, but will continue to maintain the buildings as best they can. With volunteers operating guided tours at weekends, a sad day for industrial preservation...

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I get the impression that they hope it will be a temporary measure, but its still not good. Hope they can sort things out.

3. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

I'd heard mutterings to that effect a few days ago. One presumes from this that the local Councils have pulled the plug on funding. 'Price of everything & value of nothing' and all that...

I just hope that their security continues to function; the metal thieves in that area are notorious, as we all know :mad:

As Martin says, hopefully it's only temporary. Bowes is pretty much unique.

Mark

4. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

I hope its only temporary too. Such a great place pity it should be lost now. This is the time the preservation movement needs to come together.