If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brecon Mountain Railway - extension?

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 50044 Exeter, Nov 13, 2009.

1. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

2. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very nice video Bill

3. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Had our first trip on the BMR extension yesterday. It's made a really big difference to the experience on a line I was already fond of. The scenery on the new section is superb, the extra climb provides great entertainment from the engine, and being able to step out and watch/photograph the run-round at Torpantau (which is a very atmospheric location - in a bleak but good way) adds a lot to the experience too. Also enjoyed being able to see Sybil and the VBs for the first time in the newly-opened Pontsticill shed. Really worth a visit, want to explore more of the photographic locations from the footpaths next time I'm up.

4. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Just found this video on YouTube - noisiest NG loco in the UK?

Thunderer008 likes this.
  5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Yes, characteristic American approach; get the job done and to hell with thermal efficiency. True from railway locomotives to motormower engines!

Paul H

6. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Nice to see fairly good loadings on the train as well. With low energy costs the yanks have never been particularly energy conscious. It's changing a bit these days but it will take at least a generation to wipe out the ideas that all cars must have at least 6 cylinders and be above 3 litres in engine size.

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Nice. Just love those decibels.

michaelh likes this.
  8. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

It's not the size of the engine that matters, its the power output. American cars are designed knowing that in the 'interior' they might end up doing 300,000 miles on the engine - to do that you need a large capacity low output engine with relativity unstressed parts. I had a 5-litre Chevy for a while - did 24 mpg, far better than say a Jag or BMW of similar age with similar performance. And that was with fairly primitive electronics and a carburettor - a modern EFI version will be better still. Similarly, the Yanks don't drive stick - to drive an automatic gearbox properly a small high-revving engine is impractical - unless you use the DAF design.

Sorry, off topic, but it does irritate me to see the old anti-American myths trotted out.

lynbarn and michaelh like this.
  9. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

No myth at all where thermal efficiency is concerned, at least in the past. Chapelon was able to "tweak" the 1-4-1R with very minor modifications. An admirable machine in every other way. Coal in France was scarce and expensive.

Similarly, the American lawnmower engine referred to obliquely in my previous post was admirable except that it burned between twice and three times as much fuel as U.K. and Japanese units on the same work. As long as the work was done reliably, the fuel consumption mattered little across the Atlantic, at least in the past. In other postings 2-4-2A.1 has observed that loud exhausts tend not to be a sign of high efficiency.

PH

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Ad infinitum ... In fact sometimes he makes so much noise about it that you have to fear for his own thermal efficiency :D

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Well that's started the day with a laugh and for that I thank you. :D

Martin Perry likes this.
  12. Learner

Learner New Member

Had my first trip on the BMR today. Three coaches plus the caboose behind No 2 - standing on the veranda uphill is quite something, particularly on the extension. There seems to have been some recent tree clearance and the views are well worth. Impressed with the loadings for this time of year as well.