If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bridge that Gap: Great Central Railway News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Gav106, May 8, 2010.

1. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

If the GCR is so opposed to black locos how do you explain the fact that 46521, which ran for years at the Severn Valley in green, was repainted black at the GCR? And, indeed, had its preservation-era nameplates removed...

JWKB likes this.
  2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

One of its co-owners wanted in black this time round.

3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I think that illustrates my point precisely.

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I'm having difficulty quoting so apologies if this appears messed up.

Alan Brader wrote:
    Who says there is a shortfall? Money is still coming in (some of the donors have set up standing orders) and there is still time.
    The £1M is the amount agreed with Network Rail for putting the bridge in; I'm obviously not party to the terms of the contract but I feel sure that there will be an agreed price, possibly (or possibly not) including an agreed contingency, if one is deemed to be required at all. Don't forget that from NR's perspective, they need some confidence that the GCR will raise the agreed amount, so it's in their interests to stick to the budget too.

Correct. I am pretty sure a follow-on appeal would see the canal bridge refurbished, the bit in-between is the expensive bit, and nothing has yet been announced about how this will be funded. However, the reason for the current appeal is quite simply that if the MML bridge doesn't go in before the MML is electrified, it will quite simply never happen.

I don't think it's being swept under the carpet, but it isn't the present focus because, as you rightly point out, the bridge which is currently being designed and having funds raised for will not actually join the two railways. That comes later.

As a member of both railways, I can see that both are going to have to change. From the GCRN's perspective, the possibility of substantial numbers of additional volunteers getting involved with developing their infrastructure cannot be overlooked. It hasn't escaped the attention of the GCR(S)'s S&T department that the only working signal box at the north end is Asher Lane Crossing, for example. Similarly, it will bring far more visitors to the heritage centre at Ruddington. From the GCR's perspective, the main line connection is an obvious one but also the possibility of developing additional facilities north of the gap, whereas south of it there really isn't so much spare space any more. But, fundamentally, the main reason for doing it has to be "because we want to". It's clearly not going to make back the millions invested in it, so it can only ever be a project funded by grants and donations, not a commercial one.

This is obviously something the management will have to think about when the time comes. I personally doubt that the cost of a day ticket is going to double, just because the line doubles in length. But if you consider the cost of taking a family to, say, a theme park, a football match or a London theatre, who is to say what people will pay for a good day out?

Not if the Leicester North museum project happens at one end and the interchange with the Nottingham tram network at the other, no.

The bridge is being built by a separate company, so if the railway itself takes on too much debt and folds, it will be for some other reason...

5. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Didn't that study a couple of years back (sorry, too lazy to go look for it) indicate that the returns to the local economy (if not the railway itself) would be many times the cost of the work? So I don't think it's just for 'fun', although clearly that's the main driver.

Noel

6. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right, it did.

7. NickPreston

NickPreston Member

I think it's important to remember that there is an opportunity to bridge the main line here which is apparently soon to expire forever when it is electrified. There is a timescale on getting the bridge in. After that, there may be no real hurry to join the 2 railways. It's a case of now or never with this project.

Desert Songster and desperado like this.
  8. Alan Brader

Alan Brader New Member

Idle so and so
    Thank you Pmh_74 for taking the time to respond in such a detailed way. As I said I hope things go well, and that all the cash needed comes in before the deadline to build also I hope it does not become a huge unused asset due to connection costs.

jnc likes this.
  9. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

The great central needs to grow which is why they need to join the 2 halfs together it will give them the chance I assume concentrate steam and diesel maintenance on two different site I guess with all the diesels going to ruddington and all the steam locos at Loughborough.
    I assume there are plans for a new terminus at the north end to avoid the reverse there is at present I think this is going to be a great project turning what is already one of the best preserved lines in Britain to maybe the best. I still do thing that it is always going to struggle to get the passenger numbers of the NYMR as it is just not a scenically attractive.

10. stevegcr

stevegcr New Member

There is i believe a plan to extend northwards from 50 steps bridge towards where the new train line curves off the old GC trackbed and heads towards Clifton, there was also the plan to put in a new south chord straight from the heritage centre onto the main line.

11. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Latest total raised £405,000.

Still £595,000 to go...

12. Legrandanglais

Legrandanglais New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Latest News:

Network Rail have now applied to Charnwood Borough Council for Planning permission to re-instate the bridge over the main line.
    Charnwood Council On-line Portal, Planning ref P/14/0625/2
    This has drawings, photo-montages and other supporting documentation.
    The appeal total now stands at £415,000*. The Friends Raffle (in support of 'Bridging the Gap') currently has in excess of £6,000 going toward the appeal - the draw is in late May so bags of time to grow more...
    Info from 'Friends Newsletter - April 2014

*Funds are being held in a ring fenced account in the David Clarke railway Trust until the time comes to pay.... Donations made with 'Gift Aid' declaration will add 20% to funds raised!!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  13. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

14. D1039

D1039 Guest

Gift Aid adds 25% to the individual's donation (the Gift Aid element is therefore 20% of the total contribution), assuming they pay income tax :)

Patrick

15. mogulb

mogulb New Member

Planning permission granted by CBC a couple of days ago, Network Rail are expected to start piling works over Xmas shutdown.
    All donations gratefully received by the GCR

Gav106, philw2, black5 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Well i imagine that the donation buckets will be out at the gala in October and January. Ill chuck in a few quid if they are.

17. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    Just noticed the following on the Main Line Xtra News page of the GCR website, posted at 10:00 today.

The GCR’s plans for reunification have received a fantastic boost with a £1M award from the Leicester and Leicestershire Economic Partnership (LLEP).
    More details will follow in Main Line No.160 now in preparation.

Cheers,

Lplus, jnc and Martin Perry like this.
  18. seawright

seawright New Member

Not a member so can't access the Xtra page but there is a note here: http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/ dated July 2015
    Just hope the funds can be obtained in time.

19. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    jnc likes this.
  20. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Well I wrote that 4 years ago and it just goes to show at least 2 things: there is an economic recovery of sorts at least and, I must not underestimate the power of enthusiastic and dedicated railway heritage and local community supporters to fight for what they want! Well done to the GCR. I know there's still much money to be raised but at least I'm delighted to be proved wrong (again!).