If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bridge that Gap: Great Central Railway News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Gav106, May 8, 2010.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very sorry to read about your poor experience Belgarath001.......but if you want to help with the Windcutter group please contact me, I'm sure we can find plenty for you to do!

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I know of someone else who joined the GCR with the intention of volunteering in the loco department, had a very similar experience to you, gave up and now happily volunteers elsewhere. He was quite unimpressed by the GCR's organisation (or lack of it) with regard to volunteering.

Hando, Belgarath001 and weltrol like this.
  3. Flying Phil

Good to see an update on the GCR website re the £1M+ raised so far.......and news that we are also benefitting from HS2!
    .........".Meanwhile Reunification has received an usual boost from an unlikely source. The brand new High Speed 2 rail line is currently being built between London and Birmingham. It’s crossing the site of the original GCR station at Finmere in Oxfordshire. During the work, some masonry has been recovered, including eight handsome Victorian bridge coping stones. They will be used in the construction of the Reunification scheme, giving the new project a real connection to the past."

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Hando, brmp201, JorgeR and 3 others like this.
  4. Flying Phil

From the GCR Website - another Zoom talk to help raise funds for Reunification

"Great Central Reunification.
    [​IMG]

An online talk - The Bala Lake Railway

Join us on Sunday 7th of November for another of our hugely popular online talks....

This time we're headed to Wales for a conversation with preservations man of action Julian Birley. He's been a longstanding supporter of the Bala Lake Railway which runs alongside of the lake. In 2012 he was responsible for bringing home three narrow gauge engines which had worked at Penrhyn Quarry - and then been shipped to the USA for a transport museum project only to disappear from public view."