If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brighton Atlantic: 32424 Beachy Head

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Maunsell man, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is some discussion of that very point in this thread - http://railways.national-preservati...builds-how-many-will-ever-really-work-20.html. Start at post number 195.

Tom

2. LTSR

LTSR New Member

Retired engineer and former steam driver

3. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
  4. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
  5. knotty

knotty Member

Brilliant. Will have to shoot off another donation to the project this month.

Thanks for the update David!

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just out of curiosity, does the Project have any estimates as yet for overhauling the boiler/firebox unit? I recall that the GNR-built unit was thought to be almost in new/unused condition when recovered from the industrial premises. ( was it a laundry, or is my memory playing tricks...?)

Thanks

7. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Wasn't the boiler from a market garden and was being used to heat greenhouses? Or is my memory the one playing tricks??

8. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

It was a large joinery works. There were 4 boilers there, 2 x GNR Atlantic, 1 x LSWR T1, 1 other which may have been a MSLR 4-4-0?

9. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

What happened to all the other boilers?
    Cheers Gav

10. OldChap

OldChap Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Didn't they go to Sail and Steam in Essex for awhile and then I seem to recall that 1 Atlantic boiler was scrapped, the T1 went to the Avon Valley and the LMS one... scrapped ?

11. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I believe the 4-4-0 Boiler is actually believed to be off a M&GN 4-4-0, although there were plans to alter it for use on a MSLR 4-4-0 replica. I believe that that is no longet the case, although the location of the boiler I do not know. I'd like to see it go into a M&GN 4-4-0 rebuild for the NNR personally.

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I think one ended up at Mangapps Farm Railway but not sure which one. Happy to be told i'm wrong, though.

13. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I think you are right - it was the 4-4-0 boiler.

I believe the T1 boiler is/was at the Avon Valley for the proposed replica, but nothing has been heard of that project since it was first suggested.

Keith

14. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    The boiler from M&GN nr 50 is planned to be used for the GCR 567 project ,but no further information has come to light since the original plans were mooted. Their homepage has a "website coming soon " since about a year.
    Nigel Digby's A guide to the Midland & Gt Northern Joint Railway has a picture of nr 50 at Peterborough on page 130.

Keith

15. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

No estimates yet. From chatting with Fred Bailey the other day, the boiler is in excellent condition. IIFC built 1944 and believed to have seen only 2 or 3 years service before sale to the factory where it is thought to have been used as a steam reservoir. The firebox is like new and he pointed out the stay heads which have minimal wastage. A new smokebox is required and tubes. All other minor repairs are being tackled slowly so it will be ready to go once the chassis is together.

16. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Thanks for that info.

17. ConsolidationMike

ConsolidationMike New Member

During the technical review before the Press Launch of the GCR No 567 Locomotive Project in May 2011, detailed consideration was given to the options for boilers. Whilst the ex Midland boiler still currently at The Mangapps Railway Museum is, no doubt, a technically suitable boiler, the appearance of the locomotive, fitted with this boiler is distinctive and significantly different to its 'as built' condition. Costing of the construction of a new boiler to the original design resulted in a decision to progress the project based on the construction of a new boiler to the original design. In original ‘as built’ form, No567 will be truly representative of the Edwardian Express locomotive of the late 1800's rather than the developed version that the Belpaire reboilered locomotive would represent. Indeed an image of the front end of the GCR Class 2 appears as part of the coat of arms of the Great Central Railway and is in many ways therefore synonymous with the origins of what was a highly progressive railway company.
    No 567 is the genesis of a design the ultimately development of which is Butler Henderson the only surviving GC Express passenger locomotive. It is therefore planned to construct No 567 with a boiler having a round topped firebox, though should the Belpaire boilered firebox still continue to be available, there is no reason why No567 shouldn’t appear in the future in the later form with modified cab and larger smokebox.
    It is interesting to reflect that the GCR No 567 project, when compared to the checklist discussed elsewhere, meets all of the criteria set out other than the need for an active website. This is being attended to at the present time. Funding so far raised and pledged during the planned 10 year lifespan of the construction of the locomotive and restoration of the existing tender, will fund the cutting of the frame plates and stretchers, construction of the bogie including wheelsets and assembly of the frame with the cylinder block, if you wish to be part of this exciting project, supporters are currently contributing via subscription and donation in units if funding including £5.67 per month and one off sums in multiples of this sum.

18. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I am glad to hear that the plan for 567 is now for its own boiler, which moves me closer to donating. I think that a gleaming GC-express loco - a smaller boilered one (always found the Directors a bit 'heavy' looking personally) would be absolutely gorgeous, but I was never happy with the idea of the M&GN boiler being used on it.

19. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    Thanks to Consolidation Mike for the info . GCR 567 will be a lovely engine especially with the original boiler design. Who owns the M&GN boiler anyway? Back to the Brighton Atlantic the quality of engineering is very impressive.

Keith

20. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader