If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Budget SLR camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by petejd13, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Hijacking slightly this thread..
    My manual SLR is a Nikon F-601M with AF Nikkor lenses (35-70 and 70-210) bought in 1992.
    I have idle thoughts (lack of money...) about changing to a DSLR body and using these lenses. Are these compatible with modern DSLR and autofocus? And what would I need to pay for a compatible DSLR body?

2. Richard66

Richard66 New Member

I.T.
    I'm not an expert on Nikon but you may find the following website helpful: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Due to the smaller size of the modern sensors in DSLR's (other than the more expensive cameras which have sensors the same size as a 35mm negative) the only thing that will change is the crop factor, you will get a narrower point of view but for telephoto no worries. The 35-70 lens will appear give the same field-of-view of a 52-105mm lens and the 70-210 will give the same field-of-view of a 105-315mm lens.

My advice would be to take your lenses into your local Jessops store (other camera shops are available :smile: ...) and try them on a DSLR before you buy to check the compatibility.

Regards price, the Nikons seem to start around the £400 mark for an entry-level model, including an 18-55mm lens (which would fill the gap at the wideangle range left by using your old lenses).

3. Richard66

Richard66 New Member

I.T.
    It depends on your definition of "decent" but an entry level camera will start at £300 (Canon EOS 1000D body-only), while for me a decent camera will start at £2000 (Canon EOS 5D) :heh:

4. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Nikon D3100 looks an excellent bet. D3 quality pics at a reasonable price. I have just purchased its' big bother the D7000 and very impressed so far. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm.

But you can not beat a K1000 or an ME Super!

5. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Thanks for the link Richard, all I needed to know, just the money to find now....oh and a Jessops in Turin! Thanks to all for the replies and pointers.

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    When I changed to digital in 2002 I bought the Nikon AF 35-70 and 80-200 lenses which I still use in autofocus mode on my D700; I would suggest therefore that your AF lenses should be compatble with a D90 body or similar. Current Calumet prices for Nikon bodies are : D90 (£619); D5000 (£449); D3100 (£499); I bought the D700 for its low noise levels at high ISO and the results at 4000 ASA are better than my previous D300 at 800 ASA. I am not aware of the results of high ISO on the above models but I would presume there will be a trade-off between high ISO quality and body prices.