If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    An absolute beauty, indeed. Looks to have been pretty smooth work getting the tender attached, too. Well done, so far! Won't be long before the Valley resounds to some Bulleid chatter and a middle c whistle once again!

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    All credit to the SVR for tidying up the rat's nest behind the boilerhouse that move would not have been possible before the clean up, looks much better.

Congratulations to SLL for a very fine job SKP looks superb, an object lesson to the dismal jimmies who say no to restoring wrecks, and this one looked really sad at one time.
    Great job lads.

Cheers Dave

3. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The loco sure does look good and be great addition to the SVR fleet hope to see it in service soon. I am assuming mainly weekends going to be the best time to see it in service.

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Changing the subject slightly ,I see in one of the mags that 35018 is now at Carnforth to be finished off and returned to the main line , so is it now owned by West Coast ? it was reported as having been sold quite some time back , so in the future we could very well see 4 merchants on the main line , how nice would that be to get 35028 and 35018 side by side against the stops at waterloo in a couple of years time on a certain july date. having worked trains in from Weymouth and Salisbury arriving with in minutes of each other , all thats needed then is one of the panniers to act as ecs mover back to southall or stewarts lane

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Perhaps you should have a word with Marcus Robertson and Graeme Bunker!

Something like this happened once before IIRC involving 35028 and 30053.

Edit: It was march 1995 and here is the evidence:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23be-efJWY0

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Nice idea Martin to see 35028 and 35018 at Waterloo station in the future. Does anyone know when 35028 main line ticket expires. I would think all the work done on 35018 at the MHR would now need doing again. Is there enough time left on 35028 main line ticket to allow this idea of Martins to become possible?

I did hear from a Bluebell member once 35028 mainlline ticket expires she would leave her mainline adventures behind and see her days out on the Bluebell Railway.

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I too was told this sometime ago Lee with someone connected with the Bluebell. And others have told me that is ludicrous. I am inclined to agree with the majority of Clanline NOT spending the end of her ticket at a preserved railway. The MNLPS surely wouldn't give Clanline up and surely look towards her next overhaul? (I for one would see her or any other Merchant a waste of time at the Bluebell)

8. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Really? That would be amazing. 35028 is a loco thats close to my heart after I had her on my first railtour behind her and to have her on the Bluebell would be great especially when paired with 34059 and 21C123. Although the Bluebell did have 35027 (my Dads favourite loco even though he isn't into steam locos like myself) which I don't know why she left. Sadly I'm not sure if it is true about 35028.

I think she returned in 2006 so would have been due out of service in 2013 assuming she had a 7 year Mainlinbe ticket but looking at the MNLPS it says she recieved an intermediate overhaul last year and that she was given another 5 year ticket so she should be in steam until 2016 I'd have thought. Should be enough time to have 35018 ready should Martin's idea come to life (I think its a great idea).

9. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Mixed feelings about 35028 if she did go to the Bluebell. Would be such a shame to see the loco just trundling along at 25 mph rather than 75 mph on the mainline, however the bonus would be matching the loco with the Bluebell's excellent Bulleid carriage set and a potential double-header with 34059.

10. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

I would be very surprised if 35028 came off the mainline, i would guess she is the first choice steam loco for VSOE, and the owning group keep her in very good mechanical condition ,Injectors apart she seemed to never break down but i guess that at some stage she will need major boiler work which will keep her out for a while, so a spell at a mainline connected heritage line to bed everything in might be a good thing as long as she returns to the mainline

11. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    She seems to have survived perfectly well at Stewart's Lane up 'til now, I don't see why the MNLPS would want to change a clearly winning formula.

12. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Exactly, she has regular work and a team of volunteers that keep her running like a Swiss watch and turn her out looking like a work of art, less like a steam loco!

P.S. Jamie, she's based at Stewarts Lane along with the VSOE stock, just over the river from Victoria. Another part of the winning formula, minimal ECS mileage!

13. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Thanks Matt, London isn't my strong point! Post amended.

14. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    But you were close as 35028 was based at Southall I think up until the late 90's/early 00's as was I think 34027.

15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The great thing about Stewarts Lane is that 35028 was based there during the 1950s, when a certain R. H. N. ("Dick") Hardy was there. So its pretty much at home...

16. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Smoke has been seen rising from SKP's chimney at Bridgnorth according to Twitter

Paul

17. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Correct. First warming fire put in at 5.28pm. I'd just finished my training shift in the 'box and took a wander over the bridge to see what was going on.

18. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Excellent! I hope it goes well.

19. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

So does the first warming fire mean there is movement in the next few days to test things?

20. guard_jamie

Signalman
    I don't know, and wouldn't like to speculate. What I do know is that the SLL and SVR boys will take things very slowly and carefully and safely.