If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for this. Thought Didcot did the job back in '81 but I was mistaken.

2. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

While you're here Ian, can I ask if the Battle of Britain Loco Society has ever considered acquiring a shedmate for '92'? It strikes me that you currently have an incredible volunteer sales and restoration team, working in a decent workshop, and at some point in the not too distant future '92' will be complete and so there will be less work to do and the possibility of some of the team drifting away. Work on restoring/overhauling one while the other is in steam principle. Perhaps a rebuilt example to complete the 'BoB' set? :)

3. Spamcan81

Training moles
    No way José, the financial commitment will be too much. We will need a dedicated team to keep 34081 if fine fettle and there will be plenty of other tasks around the railway to keep idle hands occupied. The team is already chatting about which project they'd like to help out next. Remember, everyone of our team is also an NVR member.

4. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

Fair enough, definitely a sensible plan not to over-reach and neglect your 'first born'!

I look forward to seeing the continuing progress and the loco in steam when it is ready - we definitely need some steamers coming through fairly soon as various boiler certificates are getting close to expiring! Will be interesting to see what is eventually chosen as the next project.

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    It has been suggested in the past that we should get a second loco and use 34081's streaming fees to fund the overhaul. Fact is that unless we get a lot of steamings for 34081 the income will not be anywhere near enough to fund the overhaul of a second loco. 34081 will need money spending on her during the next boiler ticket, that's inevitable for any loco, and we would run the very big risk of getting to 34081's next overhaul with loco number two unfinished and no money coming in. Not saying it couldn't be done but given the size of our group, it's not a challenge we're keen on accepting.

6. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    What would be available if they did want another one? I can only think of 34073 and that's unrebuilt that might be available. How many rebuilt BoB's are there anyway? There seems to be more rebuilt 'West Countries'?

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    For many of us working on 34081 it's not just a case of restoring/overhauling an old steam loco. The Battle of Britain/RAF connection is very important to us and anything other than a BB just wouldn't be the same. We're proud of our connections to the 92 Squadron RAF of today and the past. In fact we're the only combo of a surviving BB "squadron" loco and its namesake squadron so any other loco just wouldn't do.

8. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

34059 at the Bluebell, 34053 at the Severn Valley, and 34058 at the Midhants.

9. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Looked shot to bits when I saw it, but it depends on whether the rust seen beneath the paint was superficial. It'll probably need work on the tender top if fitted with raves anyway. I should think some of the casing will have to be renewed, hence why it will cost £35k rather than £2k for a paint job (latter figure plucked out of the air!).

10. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

After working at Ropley today I visited Alresford to see 34051 tender. Which was delivered on Wednesday. Looking at the tender 34051 will be facing smoke box out of Alton. I'm looking forward to seeing 34051 at Ropley next weekend. Anyone going on the night shoot at the MHR gala?

11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    It will be good to see the real 34051 at Ropley at last . Some years ago 34105 sat in the yard at Ropley (with an oily rag in the smokebox IIRC) in disguise as 34051 for a War event and she fooled a lot of people. I heard quite a few people saying "Ah, she's from the National collection" or something similar when I was taking pictures. I will try and find one to post on here.*

*And here are 3 low quality scans from my photo's of 8th May 1996 (Not great pictures as I didn't have a very good camera in 1996!):

Attached Files:

12. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Was that the tender down at the end of the Mk1s in the headshunt? Or was that 34058's tender? Looked in pretty good nick (from 100 yards away!), so assume it was 34051's.

And yes, will be going to the night shoot on Saturday - spending the Saturday and Sunday at the lineside and staying on after the last trains on Saturday for the night shoot. If anyone is around on either day (or at the night shoot), come over and say Hi if you spot me (tall, Panasonic video camera with external microphone, red O'Neills headphones and a bronze tripod (not literally bronze-coated, just bronze paint!) and will probably wear bright orange trainers).

Hope to see some of you there!

James at SVN

13. 34001

34001 New Member Loco Owner

14. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Seeing as 34058 has a tender but as a kit of parts, i would suggest it is more likely from 34051.

Incidentally i take it that following the tender swap on 34007, earlier this year. 35005 `Can Pacs` original leaky tender has departed the MHR and moved to Bury to go with 35027 `Port Line`.

15. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

34007 is now running with the ex 34046/35027 tender. This will go to Canadian Pacific when 34007 has its kit of parts put together.

16. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I have a MHR book which has a picture of 34105 as 34051 hauling a train into Alresford.

17. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

18. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
  19. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Michael S Welch book Over The Alps has a photo of 34051 from Alresford foot bridge on page 55 taken in July 1995.

20. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Thats the book I saw it in.