If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bulleid Pacifics - Past or Present

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34007, May 13, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    All being well, I'll be with my son on the Friday, dropping him back at home early evening and returning for the night shoot that evening. Looking forward to it too.

2. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Going on from the Tornado thread; What is happening with Riley's Bulleids or should I say WCRC (Which is Carnforth) and which Ian has some input into surely? So what is happening with 35009 and 35018 now and for their future?

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    As far as I know, Mr. Riley has little or no no input as regards what goes on at Carnforth other than the fact that his locomotives are crewed by WCRC. As has already been established, 35018 will more than likely form the next major restoration project after Galatea, and will provide WCRC with an almost 'go-anywhere' class 8 pacific. Once again, I can't speak for Mr. Riley, but speculating from the outside, it seems that 35009 was probably always going to be a back-burner project as long as there are Stanier class 5s around to restore/overhaul, but presumably, parts will be accumulated alongside the restoration and overhaul of 35027. I wish I had the money to so something myself, though...

4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Enjoyed an excellent meet and greet at the recent SLL shareholders' AGM at Highley, and with rather less people around than at the Autumn Gala, it was possible to stand back and appreciate SKP a bit better. It was looking and sounding fantastic, a credit to all those involved with the restoration, and the SVR lads who got it through the pitfalls of a newly-restored locomotive being put through its paces. Just had a look at the SLL Picasa site at the 2012 restorations, and the dismantling of 34072 is well underway, so no peace for the wicked (or the wallet)! This will be a historic milestone, as it will be the first heavy overhaul undertaken by SLL on one of its fleet of Bulleids. There will be a few of the excellent SLL leaflets flying about now (courtesy of nickt), too, which gives a potted history of the company and the all-important share application forms.

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  6. Andy B

Andy B Member

Already old news - the webmaster has been busy else where. The cab is now fitted and the tender connected to the loco. Last time I saw it the LH running plates were being fitted and the screw reverse was all connected up. No predictions, it will be finished when its finished.

7. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    That's better news still. Very wise not to advertise projected steaming dates. Mind you, that won't stop some people trying to make their own guesses - look at the Galatea thread!!

Is there any chance that it will be possible to look round and see the progress made on 35006 on the reopening special day next Tuesday?

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Just a little reminder for all you Bulleid fans who want to see another one running, the "Big Give" Christmas Challenge will be raising money for Sir Archibald Sinclair between 6th and 19th December. Like the recent DDD125 this is a match funding challenge: every pound raised will be matched by the challenge sponsors, up to a maximum of £30,000. The money will go towards a new firebox. More details nearer the date, but I believe this will be an online-only affair: money sent direct to Sheffield Park won't, as far as I am aware, be eligible for match funding. I'll publish the web address when I know it (but it won't be our usual justgiving.com site).

Tom

PS - was this thread already down to page 3 of the forum?

9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

For anyone that hasn't purchased a copy of Steam Railway. There is a small article regarding 34051 Winston Churchill possibly staying at the MHR for cosmetic restoration. The fund for restoration work is now over £21.000 according to the article.

10. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

I wonder how much it needs beyond casing panel work and painting.

11. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    I hope the cosmetic restoration can be finished when 60008 is still at York. Winston Churchill and Dwight D Eisenhower at remembrance day 2013 anyone?

12. brit70000

brit70000 Member

A bit of a debate amongst some mates recently regarding the correct spelling of 35022's name. If anybody could give a definative answer it would be much appreciated!

Is it Holland America Line of Holland Amerika Line?

Thanks.

13. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Holland America Line, AFAIK. Although another MN was called Holland Afrika Line, which is probably where the confusion comes from

14. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    It appears as Holland-America Line on the nameplate.

15. brit70000

brit70000 Member

Thanks Irwell & Spam, most helpful.

16. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Incidentally, is 34051 still at Alresford, or has she departed for York? Last I heard the MHR were in negotiation to carry out the cosmetic repairs at Ropley, is this still likely to happen?

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Also on Bulleid's. 34059's Big Give Appeal starts on Friday.

18. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Last I heard (beginning of November) she was tucked away up the headshunt at Alresford.

19. Jamessquared

The URL is Sir Archibald Sinclair Restoration a project by Bluebell Railway Trust | The Big Give - PLEASE DON'T DONATE YET, but wait until 10am on December 6th. Remember, every £10 donation is worth £22.50 to the project.

Because of the way the match funding is released (it comes from the Read Foundation), there are projects bidding for more funding in total than is available. So the advice is that it is most useful to try to donate on the 6, 7 or 8 December, in case the available funding is used up. I'll try to keep this site up-to-date with how things are going once the challenge starts.

Tom

20. Jamessquared

A bit more detail:

The target is to raise £60,000 - £15k from the Big Give Charity, £15k from Bluebell's sponsors and the remaining £30k from donations to the BG during the event, this is a matched funding event so the donations need to reach £30k to release the other £30k in full. Donations can be Gift Aided if you qualify.

As with last year's BG event the funding by BG and sponsors will be released in phases:

6th December 40%
    7th December 30%
    8th December 30%

There are over 350 competing charities so if you intend supporting 34059 please don't leave it too late and if the quota of money has been exhausted on a particular day please try again next day at 10:00 or as soon after as possible.

Also, this is an online-only deal (unlike the DDD125). So while I am sure the railway would be overjoyed if you happened to send a cheque direct to Sheffield Park, it won't count for "doubling" through this appeal. Only online donations received through the website above will count.

Remembering back to last year's "Big Give" appeal, there might be a bit of frantic "please donate - please stop for today" because of the way the money is not all available at once, but instead is released in small daily doses. Just to keep us all on our toes. ;-)

Tom