If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bursledon Brickworks

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Bestieboy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi

I've heard that 0-4-0ST WB1641/1919 via Alan Keef has arrived here as a standard gauge which seems a bit odd! Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
    Cheers
    Steve

2. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

no this must be mistake. The plate doesn't tie up with the date for a start.

3. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

I have no record of an existing Bagnall 1641.
    Curiously, BARCLAY 1641 was built in 1919. That's DOLL at Leighton Buzzard.

4. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Me neither Ken.
    Someone's got something wrong somewhere......hmm DOLL, is the right gauge?

Steve

5. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    BB is 2' so Doll would be the right gauge...doesn't really make sense though...they haven't even finished phase one of the extension yet...

6. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

I agree spud. I look forward to a visit when it's all up and running. Looks like I may have been given bum info although the Hampshire NG Trust, if I remember correctly, has visited the LBR before with their own loco's? I suppose the best option is to email them direct & ask!
    Steve

7. William Shelford

William Shelford Member

What ever this new arrival is, its not DOLL, as she is currently (as usual) in the shed at Page's Park.

Both WENDY and CLOISTER have run at Leighton Buzzard in 1986 and 1998 resp. CLOISTER was however restricted to the Page's Park to Leedon section as she took a dislike to a point at Stonehenge Works. As a result, although present at the gala a year later, while on route from Bala to Kew, she was not used, and was displayed on the lorry.

DOLL on the other hand, knows how to deal with bad track, just push it out to fit! When at Bressingham in the 1960's she pushed out the 1' 11½" gauge track to 2'0" gauge, only to have the coaches (which were really 1'10¾" gauge) fall between the rails. #-o . Alan Bloom therefore put her up for sale and she was sold for use at Leighton Buzzard.

8. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Thanks for clearing that up William.
    I have contacted the Hampshire NG Society but as yet I'm waiting for a response.
    Steve

9. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Have always meant to join the HNGRT...might get around to it one day

10. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Have just received this reply from the HNGRT.........

''Having checked around, we don’t know of such a loco at Bursledon Brickworks. There are only our own Simplex IC locos and then Beccy, which is another Simplex.

Alan Keef does have a Bagnall ‘Woto’ similarly sized to Peter and it is possible that is going to Amberley for their July Railway Gala ‘Bagnall Fest’ but there is no such loco at the Brickworks.

Bursledon Brickworks has a 7¼ “ miniature railway which has recently been extended and also a 2’ gauge ‘mineral line’ for demonstration purposes. The construction of a 2’ passenger railway is progressing well and we expect this to be operation later this year.

We would look forward to welcoming Steve Best at the Brickworks sometime in the near future to show him what HNGRT has achieved but also a flavour of what else is happening at the Brickworks.''