If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Calbourne Weekend' - 8th/9th/10th October 2010 at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Islander, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Islander

Islander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Isle of Wight Steam Railway has announced a special ‘Calbourne Weekend’ to mark the return of newly repaired flagship locomotive, 1891-built London & South Western Railway O2 Class No. W24 ‘Calbourne’, which re-entered service on 3rd August 2010. The event will also feature 'Terrier' W8 'Freshwater.

The main train services are planned to be W24 on the LBSCR/SECR Bogie Coaches and W8 on the Victorian 4-wheelers. The event is still in the planning stages so a lot of detail has yet to be developed, information is available on the IWSR website and will be updated as the plan becomes clearer.

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/special-events/october/calbourne-celebration-weekend.html

2. Islander

Islander Member

Re: 'Calbourne Weekend' - 8th/9th/10th October 2010 at the Isle of Wight Steam Railwa

More information about the ‘Calbourne weekend’ has been released, including:

Lunchtime Friday – rededication ceremony for ‘Calbourne’ at Havenstreet Station.

W24 and Heritage goods train – departs Havenstreet each morning at 0900hrs for one round trip (Havenstreet – Smallbrook –Wootton – Havenstreet).

Mid afternoon round trip by W8 'Freshwater' and the LCDR Ventnor West branch push-pull set.

For those travelling form the mainland via Portsmouth Harbour the First train from Smallbrook Junction departs 1102hrs, last train to Smallbrook from Havenstreet at 1711hrs.

Real Ale bar at Havenstreet Station open all day.

Full details are on the IWSR web site.

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/special-events/october/calbourne-celebration-weekend.html

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Re: 'Calbourne Weekend' - 8th/9th/10th October 2010 at the Isle of Wight Steam Railwa

According to the South West Trains timetable the last train which stops at Smallbrook Junction is at 1616. Will later trains stop at Smallbrook J for this event ?

4. Islander

Islander Member

5. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

6. Islander

Islander Member

It has been confirmed today that Pete Waterman will be at Havenstreet on Friday for ‘Calbourne’s dedication ceremony. Much of the repair work to ‘Calbourne's boiler was undertaken at LNWR Heritage Ltd at Crewe, which Pete Waterman owns.

A downloadable event programme can now be downloaded from the ‘Calbourne Weekend’ page of the IWSR web site.

7. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Had an excellent day there yesterday, the Railway is a Gem and Calbourne a star. I'll be back....

8. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.

Anthony Coulls '' Had an excellent day there yesterday, the Railway is a Gem and Calbourne a star. I'll be back....''

I'm pleased you had an excellent day with us yesterday, it was a pleasure to meet you and to show you around. We are very proud of our railway, we operate using only original island coaching stock and have 3 original island locomotives. Not many standard gauge railways are able to do that!

It certainly turned out to be such an excellent day,with bright sunshine by early afternoon. David Shepherd and Pete Waterman made excellent speeches during W24 Calbournes re-dedication. Both have made enormous contributions to Calbourne. David Shepherd contributed a large portion of the purchase cost back in 1966 and it was Pete Watermans LNWR Engineering company that overhauled its boiler.

Another big plus for the day was that Calbournes last 2 drivers and firemen were also guests, all 4 are now in their 80s.

9. D1004

D1004 New Member

I too had a magic day out at the IOWSR yesterday - the weather by the afternoon was fine, Calbourne looks impressive and the turnout of the coaches was excellent. The volunteers and staff were friendly and engaging too. The workshop tour was worth the time - those Ivatt tanks have so much potential! If you haven't been there yet... head for the island and the railway, soon.

D1004