If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Caley 0-6-0 Protected by Listed Status

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Tim Light, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This headline refers to the ex-SNCB McIntosh 0-6-0 no 41.195. This loco was formerly part of the Belgian National Collection but was donated to Stoomcentrum at Maldegem in 2014.

It has now been placed on a list of Belgian National Treasures. This status secures its future. It may not be scrapped, altered or exported. It also paves the way for Stoomcentrum to apply for subsidies towards its restoration. This is great news, and I hope that one day we will see this lovely loco restored to working order.

The parallels with NSR No 2 and LSWR 563 are interesting. It's a pity that the UK does not appear to have a mechanism for declaring some of our own railway artefacts to be National Treasures and affording them the statutory protection they deserve.

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The French go in for declaring locos National Monuments which is equivalent to listed status too. I seem to recall Vivarais mallet 0-6-6-0T 403 is one such engine.

I agree it's a shame the UK does not offer similar protection although one would have to be careful, if it was anything like listed building status you might find that some entirely practical preservation-era modifications weren't allowed, which might hinder the continuing operation of certain locos. (I'll use the example of the N2's replacement steel firebox again.)

3. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I agree, the conditions would have to allow for 21st century engineering standards and operational requirements.