If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Camera advice.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Neville Philpott, Nov 1, 2008.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

They do in the shops, sometimes on line they match everyone else and you can then "collect in store".

2. thequantocks

thequantocks Member

retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Nikon D3 is what I use , not cheap but very good.

Unfortunately because of the cost make sure it is well insured if going lineside.

3. Neville Philpott

Neville Philpott New Member

Anyone had any experience with rangefinders, either digital or film?

thank you...

4. peckett

peckett Member

Have a look at the RICOH gx 200 compact,it has a 24 -72 lens ,also 135 lens can be bought as an extra,a proper view finder can be attached ,shutter delay is almost zero on manuel focus, 100 mph trains ,no proplem ,12 megapixels ,and most things a top range DSLR can do .I said I would,nt go digital with the heavey DLSRS that are about,had enough of zenith b ,s in the early 1970s. The gx 200 suits me fine ,mind you it will make a mess of £450 for the above,like a prevous poster said,its the man behind the camera that counts.
    I think the large DSLRS will be a thing of the past in a few years time,exept for the top pro photograpers.

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No wonder you're complaining about the weight if you're dragging a Canon 1D around. You could always trade down to a 40D or a 50D to save a bit of weight and enable use of lighter EF-S lenses. They're both very capable cameras with good high ISO performance - the 40D somewhat better than the 50D according to tests - but your 1D is an awesome bit of kit and I think you'd be daft to dump it. As for pixel count, it's not always how many pixels a camera has got but how good those pixels are. My Canon 20D has fewer pixels than my Fuji S9500 but it takes the better pictures. Why not do some weight training so carting it around doesn't become such a chore. :smt003

6. ChuffChuff

ChuffChuff Member

CEO
    No I do not currently volunteer
    They price match, including off UK internet sites. (£200 off my Pentax, and no postage knocks to worry about.)

Also - to state the obvious - if you use a local shop to try out a camera (or anything else) and then buy online you can't expect the shop to be in business very long. Personally, if I get good advice and a resonable price (ie close if not cheapest) then I try to buy from the shop to keep them in business for when I next need advice.

Neil.

7. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

My eldest son has a 1D(1215g) and he does a lot of landscape photography which entails a fair bit of walking as you can imagine and also bird photography. Like you he was getting hacked off with the weight of the 1D, so he bought a 450D(475g) to use for landscapes and quite frankly loves it, and as you already have Canon lenses it would seem to make sense.
    There's also £50 Canon Cashback until the 12th! :-D

I think you would most certainly be disappointed with a compact after using a DSLR though.

You could always ask the resident "expert". ;-)