If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Camera reccomendation

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ADB968008, Aug 23, 2009.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'm in the market for a new digital...

Looking round the Canon Eos and Nikon D series appear to be good candidates (and Ive seen a lot of people out there using them).

Anyone any thoughts / reccomendations on either / or other ?
    (feel free to PM if you like).

For usage.. well it's going to travel, I am a fan of night photography and well you know how the british weather and mainline steam can be like.. :)

2. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hello ADB968008,
    I found this web site very helpful when deciding which DSLR model to go for. Link: http://www.dpreview.com/
    I personally was keen for staying with Nikon, as I had used a Nikon Coolpix 4500 for digi-scoping birdlife(feathered varity) for over seven years with no problems at all. I also used a "bridge" camera, the Nikon Coolpix8800 for general photography including steam locomotive shots with no problems, see some reults here; http://preservedrailwaylocomotivephotosbyrichardsmith.fotopic.net/ . I am now using a secondhand Nikon D80 with a 18-135mm lens or 55-200mm VR lens and I love it. But whatever it is whether a new computer, a new car, a holiday or a new camera you will hear or read pros and cons for them. But I am a strong believer in, if you look after something well it will perform well. Enjoy choosing, it is part of the fun. Hope this helps.
    Best regards SteamHawk216.

3. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    My friend just bought a Canon EOS 50D with 18-200 Image Stabliser lense. Had a play with it (as I wanted to upgrade from 20D) and it was great. Very fast frame rate 6.3fps and smooth. He now borrows my lenses and I borrow his camera from time to time. If you want a better lense then the 17-85 has Image Stabilisation and Ultra Sonic Motor. The former lense has a better zoom so no need to change to another lense for distant shots. I Totally recommend this camera.

But to be honest the only way to pick a camera is to try them in the shop. They all do the same thing, just the controls, feel and build are different. Canon and Nikon are market leaders, lesser brands are cheaper but sometimes no less capable.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Hi All

Thanks for the advice, Ive settled on the Canon EOS 50D, with 2 Sigma AF lenses, 28-70mm & 70-300mm to begin with.

Look for the results coming soon.