If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Carnforth Overhauls.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Possibly not. What is the all-up weight of an 8F and full tender? More or less than a class 37/4 (107 tons)

2. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    No I do not currently volunteer
    passed by carnforth today (thurs afternoon) leander and scots guardsman in front of shed, leander's tender piled high with coal, the scot in light steam, it was 3.40 pm, a worker came out so I asked how the overhalls were coming along, '48151 should be ready for test in about a month, 44932 close behind'. I asked why the scot was in light steam, 'to test some carriage steam pipes'.
    I wondered why they didn't light leander up a day early and use that, didn't think to ask about galatea.
    he added that guardsman wuoldn't be out again till a bit into next year.
    so, not long now,
    any news of the riley engine thats supposed to maybe come for a test anybody, that may be the same time as 48151.

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I understand that the boiler, having passed it's out of frames steam test, was last night, 26th back in the frames. After some running in on the ELR she is scheduled to go to Carnforth on the 21st December for loaded test run in readiness for the 30th.

4. noelist

noelist Member

Yea, read that on the works last night, seems they are getting on with it, plus they seem to be doing much the same with a couple of loco's at carnforth, could be an interesting month, possibly two test runs before crimble, well apart from leander tomorrow, pretty quiet for steam round here till next year, apart from liverpool york on 13th and of course new years eve, thats what 44871's overhaul is for initially. something to look forward to.

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Just read in Heritage Railway that 45699 'Galatea' and the 'Black Five' MAY be ready as soon as the Spring (according to a Carnforth 'insider'). However, I wish to draw your attention to the usual caveats that complement such information.

6. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Well thats a load of cobblers.

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well, rather than make such a subjective comment, please explain your reasons, Chris.

8. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Errr lets jsut say been there seen it go the T shirt and i am not going to be taken round the back of the shed and shot. Needless to say that my original statement stands that Railway heritage information is incorrect in at least one aspect!

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Some people just have to rush in with the uncivil comment, itchy index fingers and all that. Even if this comment is not directed at me in person, the wording is enough for someone to take offence. Did I not say that there were the usual issues with the information in the post? Anyway, considering that its the most recent piece of news regarding the Carnforth overhauls the 'great unwashed and uninitiated' have at the moment, I am only stating what's been published. If you know more about whats going on, then by all means enlighten us, and take the issue to Heritage Railway. But please do so in a way that befits a civilised discussion...

10. noelist

noelist Member

I was told by a carnforth worker about a month or so ago that both 48151 and the five were fairly complete and that one of them would be ready in about a month, haven't had time to pass that way recently but do reckon one or other should come out imminently, needs some one to keep an eye on the place cos they dont usually give anything away, any offers? probably start a daily visit now as its probably getting close. wouldn't want to miss it, remember guardsman in undercoat!

11. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I also understand from sources that Galatea won't be long in running now. However, I too can only caveat my comments as I have not been to Carnforth for years personally and I'm not in a position to corroborate any of the information I have been given. However, hopefully this information is correct and I will look forward to seeing this Jubilee running after such a long time. This loco was considered a no-hoper and it will be wonderful to see it restored and running at last. Even without such information, its probably logical to suppose it won't be long anyway! I concur also with Bulleid Pacific's comments.

12. noelist

noelist Member

Hmm, dont think Galatea will be out anytime soon, but was told the 8F would be getting painted as soon as the niggles were sorted, saw it in light steam on wed afternoon, would think the five should be coming along nicely though, dont have any idea whats what but do pass by occasionally, personally I'm making an effort to pass more often at the moment cos' I reckon it wont be too long before one of them is ready, just my personal guess.

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Have faith in Smithy, the standard of 46115 shows anything else out of Carnforth will be worth the wait, even if you knew how near/far away it is, what difference would it make to it's likely completion date ?, certainly i prefer the WCRC mentality of 'no news' than that of some groups where a completion dates slips past 3 years in a row.

14. noelist

noelist Member

totally agree, read somewhere that guardsman was considered a basket case, and recently the same about galatea, so who better to do the job.

15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I like news about a specific overhaul, but only whats actually been going on, not projected outshopping into service (otherwise I'd be expecting half a dozen more mainline runners). At least then those who have to do so can make their own informed guess as to when it will be available for service. To be honest, as a shareholder in a steam locomotive under restoration, I'd be rather worried if there was an information blackout. However, I also see that David Smith owns Galatea, and so has no need to inform himself of developments through the public domain.

16. lordy

lordy New Member

Got to say I prefer Ian Riley's approach on The Works with photographic updates, you know what stage a restoration has got to and even if it's not finished you can admire the workmanship. Ian is an enthusiast who likes to share his enthusiasm with others.
    - even if it's not on NatPres :)

Lordy

17. yec2521

yec2521 New Member

by the sounds of it david smith just doesnt want to end up with egg in his face by projecting dates which then dont happen which is fair enough and makes it all the more exciting when we do see the loco finally turn a wheel.

18. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    Given the tracke record, everytrhing will turn out just fine with all of the locos at Carnforth. Looking at the past record, i'm assured that what comes out will be at the right time and in stunning order.

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I think that the two ways of approaching this each have their advantages, and I for one can see the respective points and thinking behind both.
    With Ians way we can see how it's getting on warts and all, but when the loco finally turns out the impact is not so spectacular.
    However with the Carnforth way, it keeps us guessing, but when the results are then revealed the impact is fantastic, with all the publicity for 46115 when it was finally revealed.

20. gmhatter

gmhatter New Member

But does he own this Loco?

There are various urban myths and stories doing the rounds that it was sold by people/parties when it wasn't their's to sell. Also I read either on here or on The Works that this engine is owned by a Trust, I think is is called something like Northrn England railway trust.
    A Goole search brings up a website called "Friends of Galatea" and also a "Galatea Locomotive Trust"
    Wasn't it purchased from the Severn Valley by a consortium led by Brian Oliver, The gentleman who bought Leander from Barry?