If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express Basingstoke - Lincoln 13/04/11

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by green five, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

If you are in the gallery as it were, then at least when the timings go out of the window you don't end up bored out of your wits in some lone corner of a field in the middle of nowhere as there is at least people to talk to, just as much as a social thing as well at times.

2. D1059

D1059 Member

Indeed - when was the last time anyone went out for a steam shot and didn't find someone else at the chosen location as well by the time the train arrived ? Undergrowth and trees rule out so many places now, that when you factor in the position of the sun you are left with a strictly limited number of places to shoot, so inevitably a gallery congregates at any photogenic location, unless you are prepared for a long walk to some of the more remote spots via public rights of way. Step ladders are now required equipment at many places due to the ludicrously high parapets and pallisade fencing that Network Rail now install.

Even when shooting modern traction it is now unusual to have a location to oneself, especially if something interesting is running thanks to the almost universal use of smart phones and gen lists.

STEVE

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just a bit south of Biggleswade. A few open stretches around the Langford/Biggleswade/Sandy area but northbound runs are seldom working hard as it's downhill and they are often up the rear end of an all stations local. I agree that there are worse stretches of line for trees but decent locations are fewer and further between these days. Even where lineside clearance has taken place it starts growing again as roots have not been killed. Local to me a location was opened up but has disappeared again as the elder has grown like wildfire.

4. royals pete

royals pete Member

Trust you'll be out for the 'new engine' tomorrow then. I don't think she'll disappoint anyone in her new livery. Good luck with the photos.

5. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    I can't remember the last time I took a shot on the mainline when I was stood next to someone or at a preserved railway for that matter.

6. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Good old Nat Pres. If it's not a row going on about boxes on the back, there has to be a row about something! LOL!

Take up bird photography. Get some decent camouflage, ( I must look hilarious under mine), and hide in a field for few hours. No one else will see you or be next to you. And if the little blighter you are after actually turns up, you'll have a unique photo.

PS. Only chosen the above quote at random and not for any other reason. Don't want to start an argument about using quotes! LOL, LOL!

7. D1059

D1059 Member

Judging from most of your recent Ffestiniog shots on your website you did some hiking - I'm not surprised you were on your own for them :)

8. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    Yes quite - I didn't see too many people that weekend! :)

9. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Surely the whole point in camouflage is so you can't be seen, so how would we be able to see how funny you look? ;-)

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Imagine a great Yeti lying in the grass. Trying to hide himself with a camouflage "sheet" lying on top of him. I think the owl fell off his fence post perch backwards he was laughing so much.

11. Spamcan81

Training moles
    And here's me thinking it was his new deodorant. :)

12. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    You can smell it from where you live?!

13. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Only when the wind is the the right quarter. Armani "Eau D'égout" would be my guess. :)

14. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    Spot on! ;)

15. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    We were on this and have to say it stopped being an enjoyable experience after 34067 was declared a "major failure" at Connington. It all started so well. More or less on time pick-up at Woking with 34067 working on her own with the 37 ticking over. 35028 passing us near Hounslow on the VSOE was the highlight of the day. We had a guy sitting with us who worked in various departments of the railway for over 30 years. I think his question of "when was the latest you have got back from a railtour?" was an omen of what was to come! We lost time on the trundle through London and from Stevenage the class 37 came to life and shoved most of the way to Lincoln (we were at the rear of the train and heard it pushing and being restarted when it packed up) until it conked out for good at Metheringham. When the 37 couldn't be restarted Tangmere had to haul the train with the 37 on the rear (without brakes) and could not go very quickly due to the diesel having no braking. The load prevented 34067 from getting up much speed anyway. We were told on arrival at Lincoln to be back at the station for 17.30 but for those of us who know how long it takes to service, coal and water a steam loco it was clear we would not be going at 17.30. The support crew did a cracking job though in the short time they had at Lincoln. Everyone got back for 17.30 to then be told the return run was delayed! 34067 eventually arrived on her own with the ECS and we had a good run back to Connington where 34067 would take water and a class 47 would attach to the rear. It was clear something was seriously wrong as the stop seemed to go on for ever. Then the bad news. 34067 was a complete failure and couldn't be moved! The guy with us now became very worried about getting back to Reading (he boarded at Farnborough) and couldn't quite believe what was happening. Sadly he said he wouldn't bother with steam railtours again (it was his second) and the people on the table next to us said they won't bother again (it was their first!). I have to say we were pretty fed up by this time but the SD stewards did a grand job in helping passengers back to their destinations. In particular the ever reliable John Collier did a grand job. Thanks John! We eventually got home at 1.45 on Thursday morning! The email from SD does make up for the day we had and we will be taking up the offers. This is one trip we would rather forget though!