If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express Valentine's Day Lunchtime Tour

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by green five, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Might be worth having a look at WCME 24th Jan No. 105

2. horace

horace Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. 6029 King Stephen

6029 King Stephen Member

Saw her at Deepcut on that stretch, the B1 was working hard and going like the clappers. 56 seconds for the exact one mile from Deepcut Bridge to the signal gantry, equals 64mph. Video of that will be up later :)

Here we go, video of the diesel being dragged protestingly along by the mean steam loco!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    gricerdon, green five and 45669 like this.
  4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I wasn't at Carlisle but I saw the video. I don't believe the example at Chiswick is dangerous behaviour but even if it were, what does noting it achieve? The number of posts about photographs or videos showing an act considered reprehensible in the view of the posters is disproportional to the degrees of risk portrayed and the probability of the posts ameliorating any future risk taking, perceived or real.

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Lovely video but you've given all the evidence that tells us today had a game plan and you could see it at work here in your clip and also where the still was taken in #39. Just for info, at this second location it is 1 in 100 up to Buriton tunnel. The B1 definitely did look pretty up front though but sadly today was no day for steam performance devotees.

6. ian14

ian14 Member

Freelance Journalist
    I "noted" it because it is impossible to miss if you look at the photo. But rather than divert this thread any further, I've now deleted the original reference.

The return leg departure from Chiswick. Left arrow from first pic takes you to the rest:

Chiswick Return

7. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Saw the B1 on its return at Woking with a good turnout to see her. Unfortunately, the diesel gave the train one hell of a shove particularly when clear of the up platform, possibly to avoid any controversy from the likes of you and me.

Video to follow.

8. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    It was really motoring through Fleet and I was hardly aware of the Class 47 0n the back. Unfortunately the light was virtually non-existent so I had to use 1600 ISO to be able to use a fast enough shutter speed; my pictures are therefore somewhat on the grainy / noisy side. However, they're a record of the occasion and they are now on Flickr; this is the first one in the Photostream :

[​IMG]RD10634. 61306 MAYFLOWER passing through Fleet. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the other one. Hope they're of interest.

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Fair enough, had not seen that angle before, however I still think such an incident from a trip is possible if your nowhere near the edge, I'm sure we've all seen incidents where someone has tripped, tried to stay on their feet before eventually falling over, often covering 10ft or more in the process, so such an incident is still possible regardless of proximity to the edge or not IMO, certainly has happened a few times with passengers on service trains a few times, and difficult to see what you can do about such things.

10. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Not a bad trip today but not a glorious one either.
    What impressed me the most today was the turnout of people, not just on the stations but on most of the bridges along the route. We also stopped quite a few kid's football matches along the way with everyone stopping to watch 61306 pass by. There were nearly as many people as when 60163 Tornado made it's debut in the South in 2009. Also a fair few out in the fields too.
    We were quite shocked at Woking to find our coach, K was at the front of the formation :Jawdrop:. So we enjoyed a great soundtrack from the B1 on the outward leg. The first section from Woking to Guildford saw Mayflower racing along with the obvious nudge from the back aiding this rapid acceleration. At Guildford she was surrounded by onlookers and I spotted TV presenter Lucy Worsley amongst the crowd. Was she travelling on the tour I wonder? She had disappeared before I could ask her. The B1 worked hard on the next section to Havant and Eastleigh but that was about it for the day.
    After Eastleigh she was flying along but she was wasn't making any noise on the long gradient up through Winchester and one of the SD staff we know came back from the support coach and commented to us that there was far too much pushing going on. We lost interest in the performance at this point.
    The B1's surefooted, powerful departure from Woking even had a massive shove from the Diesel once the train was clear of the station. Below is my video of the Woking departure:

11. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Gonna head out and see her pass through Haywards Heath later. Not seen a B1 (though my Grandad knows/knew one of the founders of The Thompson B1 Locomotive Trust who bought 61264)

12. swanny

swanny Member

Getting away well from a very wet Basingstoke before the Diesel kicked in:

61306_140215_2cf.jpg

13. MParker873

MParker873 New Member

Engineer
    I love the Deepcup video 6029 King Stephen, I was at Liphook in the morning and got a nice shot, then drove to Deepcut but thanks to the roadworks couldn't find anywhere to park the car so came home early. Here is my shot from Liphook:
    upload_2015-2-14_18-2-47.png

Western Venturer likes this.
  14. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Surely they are in a position to do something about it?
    Like the comment from HH in #22 earlier.
    Can anyone comment positively why this was the case today, bearing in mind both 4965 & 34067 were solo today?
    Was thinking about booking on the 1st of March Cardiff trip with 61306, but absolutely no chance of that now for obvious reasons. Their loss my gain, better things to do with 100 quid & get what I pay for.

15. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

He wasn't one of the people "at the top" but I don't know whether he mentioned it to those in charge. At the end of the day those in charge only see :Greedy: these days.
    The service wasn't great today either. We only had one free drink in Premium Standard with the second one abandoned as contents of the pots were milky water and something brown which we couldn't work out what it was! After that the the staff disappeared. Not the fault of the people serving, more a lack of organization as I think the staff were diverted to serving in the dining section. We didn't get offered another drink until it was literally time to get off at Woking. :(

16. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

If they are only thinking of money why are they paying for extra fuel and a crew for a diesel if it's not needed.

Perhaps I am being too naive but I just don't buy this idea that WCRC just attach diesels (and incur the associated costs) for the sake of it.

17. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Somebody had fun with the electronic information signs at the stations I went to today. All London bound trains were heading to London Waterlove.:)

18. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Although it was one tour, it had very distinct stages so I split it into three films.

Stage 1 - Up the hill into Worplesdon.

The weather was good, and the B1 clearly working its shift, even tho you can tell there was a notch or two of assist. Thats fine the whole consist sounds and looks the part for a good experience.

Stage 2

The weather took a turn for the worse, and so did the tour. Battledown flyover was chosen because I suspect this is a unique shot, I doubt you'll find another vid of the B1 over there from that viewpoint. Visibility had gone to pot as a heavy rain shower had just passed and the B1 appears to have lost interest or given up for the day for whatever reason.

Stage 3

Chertsey. A different view, and I was hoping that some water and a good fire rake would have sparked some renewed vigour. Good whistle here but clearly the fire in its belly is doing nothing more than cylinder lubrication

So clearly this tour was, as they say a game of two halves.

19. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

My effort, approaching Botley:

20. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31469515

aww so cute :Kiss: