If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CathEx to Gloucester 20/11/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Nov 20, 2018.

1. bonniville

bonniville New Member

i'm in that shot taking these shots

60009 REDHILL (Medium).JPG A4 60009 (Medium).JPG

Haighie, CLN_WVR and John Merry like this.
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Some lovely evocative shots of No.9 and it was good to see the A4 working. But, of course, the diesel wasn't 'well behaved' all of the time as the videos show and you wouldn't expect it to with the A4 having the equivalent of 14 to lug around. Shunting at Gloucester is tricky, more so than at Lincoln, I think, so sometimes the inevitable is necessary.

60525 and Landshrew like this.
  3. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Do your sound settings need to be toned down a little, not sure if everyone else is getting the same thing but your videos seem to be far more louder than everyone else's, so much so that it sounds as though No.9 has just run through my living room.

4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

As some of you might know I'm not a fan of diesel assistance but I was on this tour with friends. We were in dining in the middle of the train and with the window open a crack it was easy to hear No. 9 chattering away. Despite concentrating mainly on eating and drinking to excess, I was monitoring our speed, progress and other traffic nearby. It was a difficult day but Control kept things going and I don't think they should be criticised. We kept close to our booked path and although from the occasional acceleration it was obvious the 47 was providing some help it was not overdone. Not a trip for performance loggers but I enjoyed it anyway.

MellishR, Big Al and free2grice like this.
  5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Ah so I'm not the only one who noticed this, maybe the sound was tweaked up to start with to get the whistle and the owl, but it should have been ramped down on the approach as the volume then distorted the sound.

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Strange as I never noticed it as loud or distorted the first time and have just played it again. Seems no different to most YouTube rail clips on my computer.

7. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

SD's trip to Gloucester on 10th October last year managed those moves without the help of a diesel on the other end but a problem with the electronics on the Duchess caused much delay and, during the period while it remained uncertain whether the problem could be fixed, a diesel was dispatched from Southall to come to our rescue if necessary.

8. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Shunting at Lincoln is relatively easy if, as has happened on the two occasions I have done it, the train does not reverse (arrives from Sleaford and returns via the ECML). Not quite sure what the shunt move at Gloucester entails as all that RTT showed was the train backing out to "Signal 423" and coming back in later. The loco and support coach presumably take a trip around the triangle to turn at some stage. Did they take advantage of the diesel being on the back and turn the whole train?

9. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Lincoln is fine on the routing you mentioned. Far more complicated when you come in from the other direction which requires using a triangle to the west of Lincoln

10. AMP

AMP Member

The whole train was turned. Steam Dreams said that was at West Coast's request as is not normal for their runs to Gloucester.

Andrew

11. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Its been like that for a while unfortunately Ralph so this isn't the first video like it from MrKnowwun's collection over recent weeks, hence why I've mentioned it.