If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CathEx to Yeovil Jn 8/03/18 + 22/03/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by sunstream, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Perhaps it would be a good idea if Steam Dreams didn't try to pick people up from their front door. I get completely the idea of keeping the cost down for the traveller by not asking them to come to London when there is no cheap fare mid week. But do the maths for a moment.

You start from, say, Rochester at 0838 and finally leave with the steam loco two and a half hours later from the Acton area. Compare that with a service train to Victoria that takes about three quarters of an hour. And then there is the journey time from Rochester to Sherborne - seven hours. I know that some of these timings are probably unavoidable but the whole day, even on paper, must have looked to be a marathon to start with. Steam Dreams seems to be taking over from Pathfinder as the company that does silly o'clock to silly o'clock.

2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't mind the marathon so much if it was steam hauled throughout but as Al points out there is about two and a half hours of diesel haulage in each direction to be endured at either end of the day.

3. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's all well and good and as a paying customer I can see your point but think about the support crew and footplate crews in that statement. We left Southall at 06:45ish and returned on shed at 22:45 roughly. Throw into the mix the ECS moves to Horsham (I think the stock left Southall at 04: something) & back (the stock returned at 05: something on Friday morning) and then an enjoyable & reasonable day suddenly turns into an epic marathon. We used to do these turns when the 5's started coming down but thankfully sense was seen after a little word in the ear and the diesel was added to make these trips a little less tiring from a practical aspect.

4. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Just to add to the comments of Shoddy127, there will be volunteers/owners reps or staff preparing the loco from early on the day before getting the loco ready for its FTR.
    On the day after the tour there will be the final disposal, any repairs that have arisen and getting ready for the next run.
    Cheers, Neil

5. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Sorry - should have added to my original post that I quite understand why these trips are not steam hauled throughout. I was merely stating my personal preference for steam haulage throughout where possible. I am full of admiration for all the hard work and long hours that the support crews put in!

6. Dexter

Dexter New Member

Thanks for planning my week for me, I’ll be taking Monday and Tuesday off then, winner ;)

7. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Todays Run, 22/-3/2018. Filmed at Basingstoke from the top of the new station multi storey, again no Diesel

D1002 and Mick45305 like this.
  8. CLN_WVR

CLN_WVR Member

45212 at Pound Green today

[​IMG]

Copper-capped and Mick45305 like this.
  9. Michellis

Michellis New Member

Filmed today at Bramley crossing (with some electrical interference on the sound) and Grateley Station.

mrKnowwun and Mick45305 like this.
  10. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heres my video of 45212 around Sherborne on the Cathedrals Express,22/03/18..

Bluenosejohn and Mick45305 like this.
  11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Very nice video Nick.

I see that the outward journey, as on the 8th March, ran from Templecombe to Yeovil on the up line. Is this to eliminate the slowing of the train on the incline at Templecombe when accessing the down line?

I could only manage to see the train on the evening departure from Salisbury. It was an impressive sight and sound. There were just two of us filming the train from the long platform (6?). Thankfully there were no other trains in the station obstructing the view. Very lucky. <BJ>.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Those kamikaze pheasants had a narrow escape! I believe it was on the Salisbury-Exeter line where drivers of the West of England expresses used to put some bird food between the smoke deflectors of the Bulleid Pacifics and then walk round to the front of the loco after a non-stop run to see how many pheasants they had collected en route to take home for dinner. May be apocryphal but on the other hand, may be true; certainly believable.

Mick45305 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  13. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Thanks Bill, I dont know the definitive answer as to why it used the Reversible line.. maybe as you say so it doesnt have to slow to take the Down line. One theory I heard was its better for passengers visiting Sherborne as the dont have the footbridge to negotiate but there is access to the crossing without going up the bridge so Im not sure...I have seen the reversible used when there are no conflicting movements obviously so maybe its just used as and when the timetable allows it.
    You were certainley lucky to have a good shot on the station.. my experience is almost unvariably the opposite so I try and avoid them if at all possible.