If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Changes to lineside photographt on the Bluebell

Discussion in 'Photography' started by horace, Oct 29, 2009.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Correct me if im wrong but are you sure a PTS course would need to be retaken once done ? i always thought that was valid for a period of true, the annual pass would need renewing yearly but are you sure PTS would ?.

2. david1984

Bit about it in Heritage Mag, reading it though i doubt a great deal will need to change, gives the impression he was standing too close to the running line which is a big no no so has no one to blame but himself.

I don't think anyone is objecting to the PTS course, i think it fairly sensible, it's the idea that it might only be valid for such a short period, i can't say i get much chance to visit the Bluebell given my location but am watching this thread with interest as it will have relevence elsewhere.

3. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

Having been 'rules passed staff" on the bluebell I fail to see any major differences with the Bluebell rule book to any of the other rule book. They are all based upon the same BR 1950 book. (I note that the wording is different in the modern Network rail rulebook)

Any operational differences would only really effect staff such as signalmen, stationmasters etc. Many such grades work on more than one preserved railway if not network rail

A PTS is about track safety, the Network rail PTS is valid across the network where the same sorts of track layout / signaling systems that the bluebell have can be found.

I agree that all people track side should have a PTS. I don't really see why there should be separate PTS courses for staff or photographers. Would the instructions missing from the Photographers version put them more at risk? Also by suggesting that other PTS certificates are not valid on the Bluebell, are they not suggesting that the others are missing vital rail safety information, or that said organizations cannot be trusted.

I also wonder about the qualifications of the people giving these courses and how they are insured! Also does the bluebell by giving safety training certificates to photographers become liable for any accidents?

I know the bluebell needs every penny but this money making scheme may not work out as intended.

4. steamybrian

steamybrian New Member

Retired
    Having a PTS is not only about rules and regulations on the trackside but having a basic knowledge of the railway.
    When I passed first BR then Railtrack PTS exams I was taught that you should have geographical knowledge of the lineside you are going on if not to go with someone who does. Such knowledge would include the basic track layout, line speeds, areas prohibited or restricted to trackside staff, access points to the lineside, places of safety to stand when a train approaches, etc. As an another example the Network Rail line Tonbridge- Tunbridge Wells includes areas of trackside prohibited to lineside staff unless under a track possession, tracks signalled for bi-directional working, a viaduct with restricted clearances, plus several curves with restricted sighting. Contractor staff working on NR infrastructure are normally given a full site briefing as well as provided with maps, diagrams and notes about the site they are working on.
    There are many Heritage Railways that can fit into this category with restricted areas such as Llangollen Railway do not permit PTS holders through Berwyn Tunnel in train operational times.

5. Sinclair

Sinclair New Member

Tom... You're right buy so am I!!!

At the meeting today I was told that existing passes would be valid until their expiry date.

I'm still baffled that some staff are to have them and others not. There are some "high risk" groups such as P-Way that are obvious, but them some that are not included.
    I also believe that track safety should be lumped into normal competence assurance that safety critical roles have to do - then there'd be no need to send people like Station Masters on it! These are just my personal views mind you!

I'm even more confused by it! Then we talked about carriage lighting reliability..... :(

I'd encourage anyone with further questions to contact the office people.

6. jonpbowers

jonpbowers New Member

No. Charters will continue to be supervised by a Bluebell safety officer (as they are at present).

Cheers,
    Jon

7. Sinclair

Sinclair New Member

Oh yes... Forgot about that. Someone mentioned it today actually!

8. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I cannot speak for any other Railway , but at the MHR ALL working volunteers are obliged to take a PTS course every two years and is offered FOC.One can then move up to the PICAW course if required.

I beleive the youngsters also have a seperate junior PTS course.

Regards
    Chris

9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I would say £30.00 is a fair price to pay for a PTS certificate considering that one or two photos published in a monthly railway magazine would cover the cost of a PTS certificate.

10. david1984

Not really a viable view unless your names Phil Jones or Bob Green, and even they don't manage it all the time.

11. wiveydes

wiveydes New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If the Bluebell have been charging £20 for a pass previously, and are now to charge an extra £10 a year to ensure that photographers are safety conscious, I cannot see what the problem is. £10 a year seems a small price to pay, and could hardly be classified by anyone as profiteering, considering the amount most people spend on following their interest or hobby.
    The important thing is that notice is taken, by each participant, of the safety aspects of being around a railway line - especially from those who think that they know it all. Familiarity can, unfortunately, breed contempt and the price of a limb or life cannot be measured in monetary terms.
    Looking further, the whole question of safety on heritage lines could, perhaps, be looked at by the HRA, with a view to a basic certificate being issued, and accepted by the Member Railways. Each Railway would then just need to look at instruction on local knowledge safety.