If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Channel 4 Programme

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by gwalkeriow, Oct 16, 2017.

1. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes it would not have its own automatic brake fitted, but as it was not a Passenger train the toad brake van was sufficient.

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    So anyone watched Eagle's restoration? I would say this compared with the others looked to be more straight forward when you compare it to a wooden bodied coach I missed the first 20 minutes I didn't see them do a buckeye exam,or any corner pillar repairs etc, even though they re profiled the wheels, As its Tyseley will this MK 1 Pulman be joining the Vintage trains rake?

3. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I’ve not watched this episode yet, got it recorded.

However wasn’t Eagle in use until only a few years ago, either on the Mid Hants or Bluebell? So I’d imagine it was routine maintenance and recommissioning, rather than a major restoration.

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

It was in service on the Bluebell until 2008, and went to the MHR after that, still serviceable. (Vintage Carriage Register says "To Mid Hants 1/09, then by road to Tyseley 01/11.")

Tom

5. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

As it's a competition of sorts, it is very difficult to compare a re-vamp of a 'large' 1960 Mark 1 Pullman with a small wooden coach.

Or is it? I think the IWR Oldbury carriage has my vote so far because of it's vintage and historical importance as an original IWR coach, and the rarity value of such a coach, plus of course being a grounded body for over 90 years and a total wreck requiring substantial work on the body and the design and provision of a new underframe.

Cheers,

Julian

dlaiow, 30854 and Richard Long like this.
  6. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Just watching it now.

Eagle hasn’t run in decades according to Peter Snow!

7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Hmmm...

[​IMG]

(from 2007 - 3rd carriage. Not my photo).

Tom

Richard Long likes this.
  8. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Was Eagle once owned by the NRM, or am I making that up?

9. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    I'm still voting for the Oldbury. Some may call it bias ..... and in truth ..... they'd be right to!

The external finish on Eagle looked absolutely superb. The interior simply oozes it's period, though the lack of signature Pullman marquetry struck me forcibly. Had that been abandoned in this design, or was later replacement pannelling retained - and given that superb finish - due to time constraints?

Less ostentatious than what had gone before, it was obviously head and shoulders above even the Open Firsts of the day and presented a far 'lighter' aspect than, say, the old Brighton Belle - which many histories describe as 'rakish', though I'd have gone with 'tart's boudoir' .... at least when populated by the cream of the acting set, rolling home to Brighton on the late service!

All in all, I'd rate Eagle as a restoration which captures the optimistic outlook of the era very nicely indeed, which is a pretty damned important consideration. Pity there's no surviving (near contemporary) Blue Pullman car with which to compare it. Ho-hum!

Any criticisms any of us may have concerning of the show's format (that six month deadline being at best a double edged sword) pale next to the publicity Mr Snow brings to our collective obsession, so I can readily forgive the odd gaff some dicey research has thrown up and hope any input from us lot which gets read by the production team is useful to media types, come the next series on railways.

I'm really looking forward to that clerestory's tale next week.

Richard Long likes this.
  10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Steam Railway came through the front door today, very interesting feature about this programme from one Steve Davies (He's an MBE dont'cha know) but occording to the write up Eagle was the one he wasn't too worried about, best thing I can say is turn to page 47 and it's all there, although if you read the full article various clips were sent to his team to be checked out for accuracy! (So don't blame Mr Snow if it's wrong!) Will sit down an watch this weeks offering in a few hours time before I comment about this weeks show.

30854 and Richard Long like this.
  11. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I would hope we did not regard this as a competition especially as, IMHO, the two Victorians have a head start from the point of view of interest. Provided a decent job is made, they will have an advantage. We know "decent" is a gross understatement where the Oldbury is concerned and from a video someone posted on Youtube of the clerestory arriving at Llngollen, that one is also promising.

Incidentally, someone posted on Tripadvisor that the programme about the Oldbury prompted a day trip from Peterborough just to see it.

Looking forward to next week.

Paul H

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
    Richard Long likes this.
  12. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

I was amused to see the coupe described on the plans as a "boardroom" (shame we didnt get to see it finished) and shocking to see how quickly the carriage had deteriorated from its Bluebell days.
    Car no.76- now that WOULD have been a fascinating project to take on, but undoubtedly way beyond the C4 budget. Beyond anyones budget...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  13. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes and still is. It's on a 10 year loan to VT.

14. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I don't care about the odd mistake, it's great to see coach restoration being featured.

I met Patrick Whitehouse in Tralee and he seemed a nice guy who has contributed much to the scene. He was at a meeting about the Tralee and Dingle and I'm hoping he is the "commercial interests" involved with the latest Council bid to get funding to re-open the line. With him on board, it would happen and i'm sure he'd steer the project towards a more heritage feel.

ghost likes this.
  15. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Do you mean Micheal Whitehouse?

gwalkeriow likes this.
  16. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

yep, of course, just checking to see who was awake

Matt37401 likes this.
  17. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

Does anyone know what happened to Emerald, which the museum also had?

Sawdust.

18. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

WCR owned and based at Carnforth. In running order as well in Pullman livery was in use on the Scarborough Spa express on the 7th of June.

19. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Duplicate post

20. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Slightly surprising they were allowed to rip out and dump the original fridge. The NRM are normally quite fussy about retaining originality. But then the coach would be unusable if they hadn’t put a new fridge in.