If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Charles Wytock/Sinembe

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 61624, Apr 6, 2013.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does anyone know what the current situation is with these engines?

2. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    Charles W was a rusting heap on the whhr until about 2003 when it was moved to a yorkshire location I believe. It's owner at the time was Graham Walton-Binns iirc.

I'm afraid I've no more recent knowledge of what happened to it.

3. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Isn't one of them under restoration at Boston Lodge for the L&B ? Ray.

4. gwernol

gwernol New Member

Chief Technology Officer
    I don't think so. They're all similar Bagnalls, but the L&B one is Isaac, w/n 3023. Charles Wytock is 2819 and Sinembe is 2287.

Dan

5. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Both engines are on Teeside with the same owner, one is finished and looking for a home

6. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I thought he owned three of these locos? I am sure I have seen some photos of these locos in the workshop taken by some one last year, don't they have marine boilers? which could be fun if you don't know how to fire one of them.

7. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    Gelert and Isaac are a pair to the same design, but iirc they are a bit bigger and to a different design to the pair that is charles w / sinemebe.

I think you may be right about the later two having marine fireboxes - I have some memory of this being the case, and it was something bagnalls did a fair bit on their smaller designs.

8. 48DL

48DL Member

Charles W /Sinembe are the same as Isibutu at Statfold Barn Railway a 4-4-0T. Gelert and Issac are 0-4-2T's.

9. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

It's interesting that one is finished and looking for a home. Mr. Walton-Binns reputation precedes him, presumably! (he's had a few issues with various railways over the years).

The big difference (I think) between the 0-4-2T and 4-4-0T designs is the firebox, with the 4-4-0Ts having Bagnall marine examples and the 0-4-2Ts having the conventional type.

10. lynbarn

yes his third one is A Boulie and it can be seen here

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  11. lynbarn

Over on Facebook it has been announced that the L&BR is to get another Bagnall tank loco, all good stuff I say, go for it. It is one of those locos which I am looking forward to seeing how she will perform on the L&BR. Her name is Charles Wytock and she is a 4-4-0T.

12. Nvincer

Nvincer New Member

That's good news for the L&B if it is, although seemingly somewhat relegates Axe to galas only.

In which group has this news been posted in?

Ben

13. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    I hope it likes the track at the L&B as I see the similar Bagnall loco ISIBUTU has been having problems at Alston:

"Most things have been sorted out but when the visiting steam locomotive ISIBUTU was taken out for a trial run yesterday it was determined that she may struggle to negotiate some of the track layout at Alston."

https://www.facebook.com/SouthTynedaleRailway

Simon K likes this.
  14. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

I don't think the run-round loops etc at Woody Bay or Killington Lane are especially tight. BTW, anyone know if there is an 009 kit for Isibutu, Sinembe, Chas Wytock?

15. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Now owned by a Mr. Heys, I believe.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  16. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

Correct.
    Graeme Walton Binns brought 3 of the Tongaat Bagnalls back to the UK. Sinembe (WB2287 of 1926) and Charles Wytock (WB2819 of 1945) were plinthed for about 30 years in Natal, and A Boulle (WB2627 of 1940) went to a farm following its time at Tongaat where it drove a sawmill for many years. Charles Wytock is now at Woody Bay having been bought by a L&B member. The loco had been hydraulic tested in Middlebrough but this will be re-done as it's now nearly 4 years out of date, quickly to be followed by a steam test if all goes well. The loco will need a thorough check over, vacuum brake fitting and its couplings modified or replaced before it can haul passenger trains. Given the Exmoor weather, a cab back sheet will be a welcome addition. A Boulle already has one, and Sinembe now has a conventional cab with side bunkers rather than at the rear (apparently to put it back as originally supplied by Bagnall). Charles Wytock's boiler is no.27622 of 1946. Charles Wytock and the loco now called Isibutu (WB 2820 /1945) were ordered in 1945 and are plated thus although delivery was not until March 1946. They were the final 2 of the 13 4-4-0Ts at Tongaat. A Boulle has a 1948 boiler which therefore must be a replacement unit, not swapped from another engine.

Bramblewick likes this.
  17. gwernol likes this.
  18. mgp

mgp New Member

Those who are members of the L&B will have discovered a fascinating four page article about Charles Wytock in the latest edition of the L&B Magazine.

Those who are not members might wish to consider becoming a member and thus receiving a copy of the magazine. Full details of cost and benefits will be found here http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/shop/join-lb-trust-online-today

Those who intend to visit the L&B Autumn Gala http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/files/pdfs/Gala_Poster_September_2014.pdf might wish to purchase a copy of the magazine while they are at Woody Bay.

Mike Pearce

19. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

I believe CW has been steamed - any intention to use her in service?

20. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

Charles Wytock has been steamed twice and is likely to be in steam at the September gala. The loco needs vacuum brake fitting before it can work on the passenger service. This work is planned for the winter months, so the engine will be available for passenger service next season. By the way, the Charles Wytock nameplates the loco carries are an unfortunate spelling error- the correct name is Charles Whytock!