If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Chilterns and Downs with Clan Line - 24/11/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Will RL, Oct 26, 2018.

1. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Wasn't going to do a write-up but changed my mind after what was a seriously good day out on an interesting route.

The Chiltern and Downs, 24th November 2018

After an uncomfortable journey on an 800 from Newport, we had an excellent breakfast at the Mad Bishop and Bear. My mind was still in BST mode and justified a pint of Bengal Lancer at 1100 BST, followed by a pint of ESB before we wandered off with our friends to find the train at Platform 9. Clan line was only just inside the signals with our 13 coach train. Unfortunately Standard Class was on the rear so we were 11 back of 13. Don't know who crewed from Pad.

Right time departure and a decent run to pass Portobello Jn at 34. We ran around Old Oak Common West Junction at 30 and after being slowed at Park Royal, Clan line got into its stride and we passed mp6 at 41. Bit of slowing for Greenford East and West Junctions took us onto the close to 3 miles at 1in264 to Northolt Jn. We could just about hear the distinct three cylinder beat as typically 35028 accelerated from 28 to 35 before being eased for the junction as we were 7 early. We left the junction and accelerated to 33 past mp1; 46 through West Ruislip just before mp2; 51 past mp 51; to a max of 56 as we crossed the Grand Union Canal. After passing through Denham Station at 54 the brakes came on as we were too close to a preceding train.

The next 6 miles involved a bit of a climb. We hit the first part of it, 2 miles at 1in175 just after Denham at 44. Nice sounds even 11 back. Speed slowly fell to 39 a mile in and 37 at the beginning of 4 miles of 1in264 to Sears Green and Jordans. Just over a mile in we were up to 43. Speed fell to 37 over the next half mile when 35028 was eased for the service train in front, spoiling the rest of the climb. We passed mp9 still on the 1in264 at a low of 16 before accelerating away to pass Seers Green at 23; Beaconsfield a mile and a half on at 44. Speed increased to 59 into Whitehouse Tunnel, our max on the section. We ran in the low 50s towards High Wycombe, passed at 52 and took 51 onto the foot of Saunderton Bank.

Not a great challenge gradient wise, but six and a half miles long. Over the first mile at 1in179 speed increased to 54; then rose to 57 at the end of the 3/4 mile at 1in500/400. The characteristic chatter of 35028 drifted back as we hit the 5 miles at 1in164 to the summit. A mile in we passed mp20 still holding 57; 2 miles in we passed through Saunderton Station on a short bit of 1in264 at 56; back on the 1in164, passed mp 21 at 55; mp22 at 54, a speed held until we braked at mp22 3/4, a little before the summit, presumably being checked for our stop at Princes Risborough. A very good climb with a 500 ton train.

Unfortunately we were on the middle road so no chance for anyone to get any pictures. E had an excellent departure and heard a fair bit of noise as we did 0-50 in 5m 25s in just under 2 miles just before mp26 1/2. Over the next mile it got noisier as speed rose to 62 still accelerating. We passed mp28 at 67; mp29 at 68; mp30 at 67; Haddenham and Tame Parkway at 66; at mp31 1/4 hit 70; our max on the section at mp31 32/4 was 72. We passed Ashendon at 70 and took 70 onto the 2 mile+ climb to Brill Tunnel. We only lost 2 mph over the mile at 1in300/lev/251, but speed did fall to 61 up the mile and a quarter of 1in200 to the tunnel. We bowled down the other side to a max of 73, easing to 65 approaching Blackthorn on the level. The brakes came in a bit at the start of the mile and a bit of 1in200 and our speed fell around the new chord to 34 on the approach to Bicester Village. No idea what the gradient is there.

We ran through the station at 41 and then ran in the mid 60s towards Islip. Not got the gradients but speed fell to 60 through the station. We drifted through Water Eaton Jn at 10 and arrived for our water stop at Oxford Parkway RT. Then we trundled down to Oxford 'proper'.

Had a chat with Dave Proctor at PAD and he told us he was driving from Oxford to Reading so we should expect to be late!!! Great character Dave. Whoever was driving made a confident start and we were up to 44 passing Hinksey Yard. Kennington Jn was passed at 54; Radley 67and a good 75 through Appleford. We slowed a little approaching Didcot North Jn, then swept around the East Curve, not the regular route for steam, at 67. On the relief we picked up to 70 by Moreton Cutting and to a good 75 through Cholsey. A glance at RTT showed a pesky DID-PAD stopper not far in front and sure enough the brakes came in just after mp47. From just over 10mph we accelerated to 42 through Goring and Streatley but no fireworks and we arrives in P13 at Reading 2 down.

From Alan's write up we know Wayne was driving on the Southern leg. New for us was the drop down to the 'dive under' to Mainline Jn. We crossed the junction at 27 and began the climb towards Earley. Over the 1 1/2 mile at 1in136 35028 accelerated slowly to 32. Nice bit of noise drifting back; then over the 1/2 mile of 1in165 to a 33 at the summit. We bowled down the 2 miles of 1in155 through Earley 45; and Winnersh Triangle 60. There's a mile of 1in255 through Winnersh where speed fell to 49 and we were checked on the 1in254 to Wokingham, passed at 20. No gradients of any consequence as we headed towards Guildford.

Station passes were: Crowthorne 43; Sandhurst 62; Blackwater 63; checked then and Farnborough North 33; North Camp 49; Aldershot South Jn 48; Ash 46; Wanborough 61 before braking on the approach to Guildford, passed 2 early. Gentle run to Shalford for our water stop before we tackling Gomshall Bank. Steepest climb of the day. A gentle start on the damp rails saw us leave the 1/2 mile at 1in165 at 8. At mp41, half a mile further on the 1in166, 10; then steady acceleration up 1/4 mile 1in166 and 1/2 mile on the level to pass mp40, the start of the 1in100 at 29. Clan line held its own and we passed Chilworth, just past mp39 at 30. Over a short bit of level track we picked up to 31; held this to mp37 3/4 before picking up a bit more to 33 onto the final 3/4 mile or so of 1in96 to crest the summit at 31.4 on my GPS. Great climb in the damp conditions with such a heavy train.

So onwards and downwards to pass Dorking West at 68; Deepdene at 70. Lost the mileposts then which is a shame as there's a nice 3 mile bank, a mile at 1in125, and 2 miles+ of 1in116. Betchworth isn't too far from the summit and we roared through there at 53 and I did see mp27, the end of the 1in116, which we passed at 52. A good climb on a damp afternoon. We crossed Buckland LX over the top at 59 and then coasted through Reigate at 39 before easing down the other side for our final stop at Redhill.

When we've been on trains returning to Victoria this the part of the day when we always seem to have an hour to cover 25 miles or so. Today was no exception. A booked time of 59mins. A very entertaining start away from Redhill up the 2 miles of 1in264 to pass Mertsham at 34; and just over 1/4 more of 1in264 to enter Mertsham Tunnel at 37. Nice to hear the big engine again! Then followed almost 8 miles of 1in264 down through suburbia. Coulsdon South was passed at 38; Purley at 42; bit of a dash through Purley Oaks at 50; before back down to 38 through South Croydon; 30 through East Croydon and a trundle across Windmill Bridge Jn at 3mph. Heard a bit of noise as we picked up to 27 through Selhurst; 30 at Thornton Heath and then drifted through Norbury on the level at 28. I think by the 7mph through Streatham Common, Wayne was hoping the junction signal would go to green. It didn't and we came to a stand at the junction.

The gradient profiles are fuzzy around 'Streatham Junctions' but it looked like a restart on a 1in100 and from the carriage window seemed to be on a curve. As Alan said it was an excellent start and we didn't hear a slip back in Coach 11. We made steady progress and left the 1/4 mile 1in377 at 17. We accelerated slightly up the 1in110 to enter Streatham Tunnel at 18 but had dropped back to 10 as we entered Leigham Tunnel 1/4 mile further on the 1in171. We drifted down through Tulse Hill at 16, 4mins down. There was a short 1/2 mile climb to Herne Hill, 26, before we dropped down through Brixton at 38. Nice views up the Thames as we crossed Grosvenor Bridge at 23, and guess what, an exact right time arrival at P2 in Victoria at 1713.

It was an excellent day out. Pity the sun didn't break through as so much of it was out in the country. But it is November, the traditional gloomy month. We brightened the evening up by using the early return to nip over to the Cross and take our friends to The Parcel Yard. For me, an excellent starter pint of "Lancer" was followed by a couple of pints of ESB; my friend opted for a few pints of Gale's HSB, another excellent beer. Food wise, the black pudding rosti starter I had was superb. The mains, game faggots and mash for both myself and Mrs S; the Fuller's traditional steak and ale pie and chicken mains for our friends, were all excellent. Great pub. Well worth the visit.

Thanks to the MNLPS for the use of their engine. As always it looked immaculate and put in the usual excellent performance we've come to expect with a heavy train; to DB for their crews; they did an excellent job all day; to John and UKRT for facilitating the train for the MNLPS; and to Network Rail for good train regulation, with no infrastructure issues to spoil the day.

An excellent day out was of course ended with another uncomfortable 1hr 50mins journey on a 10 car 802 this time. Typically there was no trolley service in the rear set. No need to guess where we were!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    andalfi1, NathanP, Michelliss and 8 others like this.
  2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Excellent report as ever! Graham Ward was definitely the driver from Paddington to Oxford. Not sure about fireman and TI. Crew from Oxford were Dave Proctor, Wayne and Don Clarke. Dave and Wayne swapped roles at Reading.

3. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Thanks for such a detailed report! Here is a 4K video frame from Betchworth, at a very dull dusk.

Frame-24-11-2018-04-59-50.jpg

4. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad

Must have been the time warp up from Wales but Redhill to Victoria was booked 59 minutes not 1 hour 59! Or was it the ESB? Also I didn't find the seats in our 800 any worse than those in our 377s. It was a very jittery ride though. But excellent report as usual, thanks and yes another superb day with the top loco on the main line with Wayne showing his complete mastery of Clan Line again.

5. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    I believe the fireman to Reading was Jim Clarke and Wayne got on at Reading, from where Dave Procter fired. TI to Oxford was Geoff Ewans and Don Clarke from there. I am not 100% on all this though so if anybody can correct thanks. I think Jim stayed on the footplate to Reading as well.

6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Jim Clarke was fireman till Oxford with Geoff Ewans as TI. Dave Proctor took over at Oxford from Jim. Wayne got on at Reading to take over from Graham. Jim rode the train to Victoria. They were all stellar in their respective roles.

7. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    I think Dave was driving from Oxford with Jim still firing and Graham stayed on the footplate to Reading as well.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just be aware @1020 Shireman if you hadn't spotted it there was a platform restriction through Farnborough North that explains the slowing to 30. But otherwise, as you say, the infrastructure didn't impose much on steam all day.

9. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

All very confusing these DBC crew changes! Even Don Clarke had to think for a minute before he could tell me who did what on his shift. Anyway whatever it was they are all a cracking team of enginemen who know their job very well.

10. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    You're right Don. I dropped the hour to 59 mins to be pedantic and left the hour bit in!! Think the ESB has worn off now.