If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Chinese QJ

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by williamfj2, Jul 29, 2008.

1. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I suppose Anthony Coulls will have the answer to this, I've been pondering whether a Chinese QJ should be part of the National Collection because it represents the 'last' giants of steam, the end of proper main-line steam, the last commercially made steam locos & would represent more modern steam locomotives. However the transport wouldn't be easy being a massive loco & I'm not sure if there was a space at York whether it would even fit! And I'm not sure if one would fit in with the collection being a NATIONAL railway museum but as a museum displaying the story of the railway & the men & machinery used I think a QJ would be appropriate. P.S I do know there is a Chinese loco already in the collection but one built in China would be appropriate & would be able to say that other countries built locos too & say that steam was still used commercially into the new millennium.

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Similar thoughts have been had, but the main stumbling blocks are as ever time, money, space and people - and a commitment to caring for what we already have. The Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne have a QJ and it was delivered on its side to get it into their building - an amazing sight. It would have to come in via the ECML and have a lot of overhead taken down to get one into NRM at the mo, as the site is boredered by two very low bridges, so anything big has to come out via the old carriage works/Thrall/Trinity Rail site.

3. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Ah. I thought it would be stumbled by something like that. Well thats another idea in the bin! :smt002 #-o

4. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    What about a home at Shildon then... only the doors and walls to do there surely! ](*,)

5. James

James Part of the furniture

Weren't a pair of QJs to be sold to someone in the USA for mainline running?

6. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member