If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Christmas Devonian - 15 December 2012 hauled by Tangers

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by spicer21, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Fantastic trip today,brilliant crowd on it (shame about a couple of the stewards....you know who you are,fancy turning down my sandwiches,i'm insulted!) thanks to all involved.

A couple of shots of Tangmere and one of 47500 at BTM tonight are on my site at:

Flickr: 56074 Kellingley Colliery's Photostream

Cheers,
    Mark

2. cg

cg Well-Known Member

I liked the two long exposure shots at BTM.

3. Alberta 45562

Thanks,glad you like them,just added another now.

4. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    just got back home from this one shattered but the long day was so worth it alright I dont think tangmere was at her best today and the diesel didnt help for the passengers who want to see her work hard but this trip for me did what it was meant to do please the family and I know my nephew and his friend went home very happy with santas prezzies and some views of great plumes of smoke and steam one thing I think we can be grateful to though and should be praised was the decision to put the box on back and your see why now as I do my best to explain for workout of the tour.

We left BTM about 1 early and was A nice departure and went smoothly till next stop where we were slightly late and then once again we were late at bath spa and as I reported the diesel was pushing us out to make time up but it seemed to make no difference as we were still late at trowbridge and westbury where we arrived when we should of been departing this didnt seem to major until we realised that the service train we should be in front of is obviously given priority to depart before us and after then we just lost more and more time as we were constantly held up we arrived at yeovil pen mill 20 mins down we took water fast as possible and got away then im told theres a slight bank outside of yeovil pen mill and didnt we know it tangmere slipped slipped and slipped more and one violent slip seemed to prompt the diesel to start helping and we didnt half need it I fear we would of grind to a halt if it wasnt for diesel assistance and if anyone else saw this climb maybe they could back my claim after that we got stopped at the junction for the mainline to Exeter for about 20 mins by the time we got away we were running about a hour late it ran pretty well then apart from one red signal and to make up time didnt stop at chard and honiton for water she went through pinhoe especially very well after that it was a slow trip to Exeter central and A light bit of steaming to ESD where we were pretty late didnt check exactly. The return was however very smooth and nothing to really say except that the diesel was clearly working at some points and Exeter departure was very nice in the fading sunlight. Praise to RYTC for making it A great day for kids the santa was really good and with a good sense of humour and his helpers well lets just say being young I wouldnt mind them helping me sometime the staff were brillant and in good spirit the only thing I could fault is the amount of diesel assistance but then this wasnt A train for enthusiasts it was for kids and familys and it was very well achieved and was great for A rare run it seems down the southern mainline to Exeter to sum it up A great day for the family well worth the money and helped by some excellent staff and good atmosphere to the occasion.

plus I felt that tangmere was never really able to keep up to the schedule without diesel assistance anyways but maybe on another day it would of.

5. Alberta 45562

The reasons for the stop on the climb to Yeovil Jn was to allow the unit that was to pass at Chard to head west on time. We then had to wait at Axminster for the unit that was booked to pass us at Honiton so that this was also still on time. The loco never really seemed to be opened up fully on the climb to Honiton,although adhesion seemed terrible,in hindsight it probably was a good idea for the diesel to be present,even if we had of only taken 8 coaches I fear it could've been a struggle.

The return was much faster,diesel assisting or not (I didn't feel any undue pushing),with Pete Roberts at the regulator Tangmere also sounded much more on beat,as usual and seemed in fine form,particularly on the latter parts of the trip.

6. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

H1650001.jpg H1660001.JPG H1680001.JPG H1680002.JPG H1680003.JPG H1680005.JPG H1680006.JPG H1680007.JPG H1680008.JPG

A few video snaps from the day's doings, taken at Bath(From Bathwick Hill), Exeter St Davids and Tiverton Parkway. Had a very enjoyable (albeit nippy) day out chasing Tangmere :) The video will probably be up around tomorrow afternoon as I'll be seeing the ECS move back to Southall and putting that in with today's bits.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The one thing about Pete Roberts is that he knows Bulleid Light Pacifics well and that helps a great deal when it comes to dealing with their particular characteristics. Glad that this tour delivered what it promised as there was the potential for it to unravel. Whatever was happening on Honiton, it sounds like the right call by the loco and diesel crews.

8. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

H1690002.JPG H1690003.JPG H1690004.JPG

A few more videos snaps, this time from the ECS move back to Southall, seen passing Bourton earlier this morning.

9. Alberta 45562

Having been stood in front window of the first pax coach I can certainly say that IMO the right call was made. Don't know how much the diesel was pushing but it certainly was on the lower parts

10. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

[video=youtube;LgOozFml0Kg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgOozFml0Kg[/video]

My offering from yesterday's trip, including the ECS move to Southall earlier today. Locations include Bath(Bathwick Hill), Exeter St Davids, Tiverton Parkway, Oldfield Park and Bourton.

Enjoy :)

11. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired

Yes they are very good indeed.

12. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

13. Alberta 45562