If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by chris meadowcroft, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

Yes, typed in a hurry is my excuse ;-). To be fair, it was a failure of sorts, just not a loco!

2. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

im visiting the gala this saturday, will the parking issues be sorted for this weekend?

if not, which station is best to park at?

3. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Froghall has significantly more parking than Cheddleton. I was asked to park my car on the pavement by the stewards - and may have been one of the last people to park there c. 10.25 or so.

4. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon

The 24th is a steam running day with 3 out of the 5 steam locos running. All three will go up to Cauldon (As you correctly guessed Top & Tailed) and no diesels should be out unless there is a failure.

With not quite as many engines out the lucky three get more "Cauldon time" each (i.e. 3 or 4 runs instead of 2), so hopefully this day will appeal to those interested in the particular engines rather than the overall gala atmosphere that to be found at the weekends.

5. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade

I advise you park at Froghall and get there early

Make sure you on the Beer train at night as last Saturdays was the highlight for the enthusiast who likes a bit of spirited running

6. Panniertank

Panniertank New Member

Many thanks for your lightening fast reply!, hotel and travel arrangements have been put in place.

7. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional

Is there going to be a loco roster published for the remaining days as the only info to date was last weekend's - and very useful it was too!

8. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon

Timetables for all three weekends were completed at the same time. I think the remaining timetables should be online soon :)

9. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

I have moved a number of posts over from the thread in the Heritage railways & Centres section in the forum that were directly related to the gala. It may be worth re-reading the last few pages before posting to make sure things have not already been covered.

Sorry if some posts seem a little out of context with people seeming to reply to themselves in a perhaps odd manner... :confused1: Other members may seem a little overexcited about the gala and say the same things twice but put slightly differently...

Those posts that were moved have 'Moorlands and City Railway' on the individual post.

Neil.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

ABSOLUTELY !!! The 8F and Black 5 combo with 12...was fantastic... You could just repeat it all day and i'd come back.

I have two main video's from the 2nd coach.. as the 8F was whistling, as I assume for the token, coming from the Tunnel at Leekbrook where the driver suddenly give it the beans and the 8F shot up the hill, with a 5th November display coming from the chimney... for 10 minutes...

Somewhere in the ether is a picture of me, wet through, covered in dust, with 1" rocks of coal in my hair after that.

and the second was from Apesford Crossing, where the 8f did full throttle from a standing start, on a gradient.

I'm new in the video game, how can I cut a 500mb MPG to something reasonable for upload ?

As for other "sounds of the weekend".. the Bulleid pacific wasnt exactly "mousing" from Leekbrook on the 2nd train on the saturday.. it did a good noise..but the surprise actually was the 33 on the back.. I dont recall ever hearing a diesel giving a shove from 6 coaches behind..over the top of the noise of a steam locomotive 20' in front of me..

11. nickt

nickt Member

Nice shot. Would you and other people like to enter some photos of Eddystone in the "Southern Locomotives Autumn Tour" photo competition? Please click here: http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/News/news.html and scroll down to September news for details.

12. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

You will be ok to load up a 500mb MPG to Youtube but it may take a while. My part 1 of the climb is 10 mins and 700+mb, my part 2, 800mb has been uploading since 4.30 today..just checked, it has finally uploaded but is still processing...

Link to follow, Neil.

Edit, link here to part 2:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDjk6dl7Fo

13. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

The Divx converter is very good, very little drop in quality after compression

14. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

You have just discovered class 33s. Now you know why 37s are kids engines!

15. Groks212

Groks212 Member

Re: Moorlands and City Railway

Totally agree with you there Frank. Will be travelling back from Stoke after 1pm on the 24th and was thinking of dropping into the CVR for a round trip as the trains will be less crowded, but am not willing to pay £25 just for one trip. I didn't mind paying £35 on the Saturday as I was on the first train and did spend all day there. However there are only 3 engines on the 24th as opposed to the 5 at the weekend and I think the price should reflect that.

Incidentally it was nice chatting to you again on Saturday night and hope you enjoyed your Beerex and found a warmer carriage than the one I had just left.

Dave B

16. Guest

Occasional

Dave - thanks for your input. The noise from the engines would have got anyone's circulation going - it was a magic, magic, night and I am so annoyed that our annual 2055 Club picture competition is this Saturday or I would deffo be back for more night time sheep scaring and rockets!!

Titanic White Star and pork pies is another reason!!!

Can we have a steam beerex on the final Saturday instead of a box??? - much more impressive!!! :peep:

17. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Some of us are quite happy with the box, thanks! Providing it has noses on the end :lol:

18. ADBurgess1992

ADBurgess1992 New Member

19. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
  20. Guest

Occasional

:llama: :llama: :llama: I thought it was Staffordshire - not Peru - Nice one!