If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by chris meadowcroft, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

They weren't as afraid as the sheep, all he sheep ran away but they didn't......

2. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

After the racket that the 8F and the Five made on Saturday night it wouldn't suprise me if the sheep were in the next county!

I have also heard there are a few changes to access at Froghall station area this coming weekend with visitors being allowed around the marquee and trade stands and only having to pay to travel/access the platforms. Could one of the members in the know post a bit more detail please? There did seem a lot of local families who just brought their kids to see a 'real steam train' who were put off by having to pay just to access the marquee etc.

I wish I was able to go down there again this weekend even if only to ride the beer train but at the moment a shift swap is not forthcoming...

I will be happy to help out in the future though when the day job permits.

Neil.

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer

Excellent footage Keith, you chose some great vantage points there, so much better than the lineside stuff with scenery like that. Must have a trip in the daylight sometime, after two trips in the dark. Mind you, the beer and fireworks took some beating :D (Didn't spot your T'bird anywhere Frank?)

Almost thawed out after today's line walk, tightening and hitting things so the branch is all ready for next weekend's assault!

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional

The TBird is a summer butterfly motor I'm afraid, and is off the road for winter - so like Ralph and Victor - its a Jag instead

Are there Friday and Wednesday timetables yet showing locos on specific trains???

Must go down and do some riding as well as watching!

5. Churnet Valley Railway

Churnet Valley Railway New Member

Re: Moorlands and City Railway

A statement about the gala has been published on the MCR website:

More people visited the railway and travelled on its trains than ever before making it the most successful event in the railway\'s history. The final two weekends of the gala look like being just as busy.
    Both companies are aware that the very high visitor numbers experienced on Saturday led to overcrowding on the early trains and both companies would like to apologise to anyone who felt they were inconvenienced by this. Steps to avoid this situation were put into effect immediately and Sunday's services ran smoothly as a result. Both companies would like to assure all visitors over the next two weekends that their comfort on all trains is of paramount importance and will be ensured at all three stations on the line.

6. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon

Timetables for the second (1960's) weekend now online.

7. Rich-D3167

Rich-D3167 Member

Signalman

Timetables for this weekend are now available on the MCR website, link here:

http://www.mcrailways.co.uk/documents/97.pdf

Friday: 34028 "Eddystone", 44767 "George Stephenson", 8624 & 71000 "Duke of Gloucester.

Saturday: 34028 "Eddystone", 44767 "George Stephenson", 71000 "Duke of Gloucester", 25059 & 33021.

Sunday: 34028 "Eddystone", 44767 "George Stephenson", 71000 "Duke of Gloucester", 25059 & 37075.

8. Rich-D3167

Rich-D3167 Member

Signalman

Beat me to it by 2 minutes!

9. kwvr45

kwvr45 New Member

10. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer

I think there's a bit of a mistake on Saturday, DoG is down as tailing the 11:10 off Cauldon and the 11:25 from Froghall.

Also 37075 isn't down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon

DoG does tail the 11:10 off Cauldon and the 11:25 from Froghall. The tail loco (in brackets) is only for the Cauldon to Leekbrook section, so the Duke will detach from one at Leekbrook and tail the other back up to Cauldon - if that makes sense :)

Also - only two diesels out each day on Sat/Sun. Sulzer fans for Saturday and the 37 on the Sunday. The 25 should do both days...

For the full fat diesel running see week 3!!

12. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Would love to see week three before I go on Sunday.Then I could decide whether to purchase a multi day rover for next weekend too.If not it will be this Sunday only.

13. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Well with 3 locos in action for the diesel gala, I think you can be reasonably confident of everything getting a few runs!

14. belle1

I see that for the night trip on the Saturday we have 44767 leading to Cauldon and 34028 banking. I just hope I can get a shift swop.

Neil.

15. Woolley

Woolley Member

It's 34028 leading and 44767 banking

16. belle1

17. Woolley

Woolley Member

Me and Greg wilson

18. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Presumably a few changes have been made based upon the experiences of last week. Are there any recommendations for anyone visiting this weekend to avoid traffic or parking problems ?

19. jamesd

jamesd Member

Thanks Chris for clearing that up. I think I can manage to avoid the shredder and the bulleid all day, at least up to Cauldon anyway. Hopefully the black 5 will be leading the evening train, as per the timetable. Should be a good day anyway.

20. daveb

daveb Member

I was wondering about that. There looks to be a marquee in the Kingsley & Froghall station car park. Is there any alternative car parking available?