If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway Steam Gala 25/ 26th February 2012

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by chris meadowcroft, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

It's only maximising profits if people still turn up though, isn't it?

2. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

From what I can see the price has been reduced to £17.50 which is the standard fare for a Cauldon operation so seems fair to me.

3. Tynwald

Tynwald New Member

Or just not go at all? The Black Lion may be good but is it worth £17.50 to get there..?

4. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Or choose to go to the competing event at ELR instead.More locos and mileage on offer than at CVR

5. Ironear

Ironear New Member

Interesting that they have dropped the price down, props to them for doing that. However in my opinion it's perfectly fine to be a 'cheapskate' if you don't think the railway is going to supply you value for the money you are going to pay. See you in the pub!

6. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd like to travel with both locos to Cauldon Lowe, where's the best place to change trains ?

thanks in advance

7. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Can I point out that CVR is 5 1/2 miles long plus add on MCR Cauldon Lowe which will be in use, thats another 8 miles... = 13 1/2 miles, ELR is what, 12 miles? CVR/MCR is longer PLUS they've got a 1 in 40 - 1 in 60 bank...

Just had to point it out :p

8. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Where abouts in Nantwich? Its where i live

9. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Finally Frank your realising that people really want a long one!!!!!!

10. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Um, no other way of saying it really, this guy is one of the board of directors of the CVR and owns the 3 steam locos of the home fleet (including 6046). I think his hopes had further to fall than yours did RE the recent set backs

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I think all share Greg and Chris's dissappointment at how this event has panned out . Quite rightly it's something they want to show to the world and the progress made , but equally there is a tremendous amount of work required to both get engines overhauled and the line rebuilt

We could all do better and calming our enthusiasm and thinking before we fire off a response. Equally when things do unravel it's always good to hear from those involved and not through hearsay

12. buxton4472

buxton4472 New Member

Absolutely - agree 100%! And supposing the Cauldon low run-round loop IS available. Surely this will give chance for new photo opportunities (at least since Nov 2010 gala) of steam at the front of the train on the return leg. I would be anticipating some fine sights and sounds as the trains come up the grade past Blackbrook. Or will there still be topping and tailing with the Class 33 (at least on the MCR section from/to Leekbrook)?

13. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Chemical Engineering Manager
    I can confirm that the ground frame for Cauldon Loop was connected up yesterday and the final paperwork to sign the loop off will be finished tomorrow.

The locomotives running at the weekend subject to availability will be 45379 and 5199 both working 3 round trips from Froghall - Cauldon Lowe - Froghall per day.

Both locos will be working unassisted to Cauldon Lowe, this will be the first time in preservation that a locomotive has work unassisted to Cauldon Lowe on a passenger train.

Whilst we at the CVR are disappointed that we will only have 2 locomotives running we hope that you will still join us for the event. It was unfortuante that 44767 failed so close to the event.

The S160 may be in light steam at the event, the steam test for the insurance inspector is booked in for this coming Thursday. The S160 will be the main stay of the CVR's motive power for years to come and therefore it is much more important to the railway that the locomotive is not rushed and therefore reliable in traffic than for corners to be cut to get it ready for the gala.

Regards

Chris

14. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Cheers Chris. Ill still be there. On question tho, on the website it mentions that you hope to have trains running towards Endon in possibly may. Will this be an event in its self as well?

Cheers Gav

15. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Haha thank's Gav!

Looking forward to this weekend to be honest!

16. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Please see below the statement issued by the CVR with regards to 44767 George Stephenson;

Withdrawal of Black 5 No. 44767 ‘George Stephenson’

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]It is with regret that we have to announce the immediate withdrawal from traffic, of this locomotive.

Following a routine washout examination, a defect in a weld repair has been discovered. It is not possible given the access restrictions to carry out a repair with ease, or within a short period of time.

With this in mind and the owners desire to re register the locomotive for use on Network Rail, additional work will be required on the boiler. To facilitate these repairs, the owners have decided to stop the locomotive with immediate effect.

When these repairs have been carried out the locomotive will be reassembled and prepared for re registration.

Regards

Chris
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

17. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Chris,
    I'm guessing that the S160 will be used from around March time then?

Also is there any plans for the MHR Black 5 to run after this weekend?

Cheers in advance!

18. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

45379's last day in traffic will be Tuesday the 14th of March. The locomotive, subject to availability will haul all of the service trains after the gala.

Regards

Chris

19. Jark91

Jark91 Member

I know it must be difficult to plan an event at relatively short notice but perhaps it would be possible to organise a November steam event similar to the one in 2010? Especially if running to Endon will be a possibility by that time...

20. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Steam to Endon by late spring according to the lates press sources, like the one on the CVR News page: Little quote"And as work beings, the local heritage railway is making renewed efforts to
    raise share capital with the aim of sending its first steam trains down the line
    to Endon by late spring."