If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

City of Wells' Parallel Run

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Christopher125, Jun 11, 2010.

1. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

No we were not impressed haha. but we did get a full refund on the ticket which seems unbelievable today.
    Remember a comment on the quadrouple header at Clapham Junc...."Well least that is one way of ensuring trains run to time!"

2. minty4371

minty4371 New Member

Unemployed
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I checked other videos from the same film maker, and it is the same little black flashing square.

3. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Taking of parallel runs, probably the fastest ever involving a steam loco could have been the 102 mph run by German 18 201 in Austria on 5th May 2002.

The parallel train was a electric box hauled filming train, but we left that behind at the highest speed as a late change of heart had seen our train limited to 75 mph, and the box train was limited to 93 mph, and the driver must have decided to stick to his speed limit.

Incidentally, I've spent an enormous amount of time studying 100 mph steam loco runs. And I feel that the 5th May 2002 epic was probably the most detailed and accurate of any that have ever run. Simply because of the combination of electronic stop watches, (recording to 1/100 sec), and a GPS, (used by my very lovely late wife). Only two UK recorders went for the run, it was so badly publicised and because of the late change from 100 mph down to 75 mph running.

I may have posted the detailed log here in the past, but logs tend to bore the pants off people, so here's a link to it.

http://www.germansteam.co.uk/Tonup/tonup-15.jpg

4. the vidieo makes me really want to get my hands on her what a beasty of a engine!