If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line Farewell 30th June

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Jan 14, 2015.

1. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The only way that will become really interesting is if they put the UP 4014* up front, the train was attacked by the Ranmore Common tribe of Indians, rescued by the Sherif of Dorking and then robbed by Kid Korma and Hannibal Reigate with the hole in the wall gang, by rolling a large boulder down box hill to block the track.

*(yes yes I know cowboys and indians and a big boy is slightly skewed, but when did that ever matter in disneyesque historical reenactment?)

2. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Edit. Not sure where we will find sufficient Bison to decorate the Surrey Hills.

3. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

4. mrKnowwun

Retired
    you can't wash your hands in Buffalo - close the door on your way out.

NEXT!

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Armitage Shanks do a great line in bisons....

Hat coat etc.......

6. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

the only way, thats going to become interesting, is if theres a failure of a service train on the route and The british Pulman becomes the All stations stopper :) imagine that excuse me mate, ave you got a can of fosters, and a pack of crisps :eek:

KentYeti likes this.
  7. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Bearing in mind that Clan Line was amongst the ton up MNs in the 1960s, (up Club train, 19.15 ex Southampton, December 1966), I would rather the description in the above link, " Clan Line will have plenty of opportunity to run at her 75mph maximum speed as we continue north along the fast Trent Valley Line to Crewe and on to Chester.", read, "...at the current UK steam locos restricted maximum speed of 75 mph........."

;)

9. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Hey dont do half a job. Don't forget to add and probably stuck behind a stopping train, oh and as its high summer it will be in light steam assisted by a diesel.

10. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Shame they couldn't send this via the, Welsh Marches. Would be far more scenic, and a good final test.

11. The Crimson Pirate

The Crimson Pirate Member

Perhaps they could do the Marches when they come back to go South. :)

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Well, it's a modern locomotive with the best fire, ash and cinder management systems that you can get on a loco and DBS is operating it. All these are plus points but as you say, there is also the weather.

13. Big Al

14. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Indeed, and there's also always the possibility of an FBU strike ! Have to say, this seems a likely victim of dry, hot weather unfortunately. June / July were the hottest, driest months last year, and the year before IIRC, and I can't see any exceptions being made for 35028. Really hope I'm wrong as 35028 is my favourite locomotive, and I've always travelled on her farewell tours in the past so would really like to do this one. Will have to take my chances though, and wait and see how conditions are closer to 30th June.

15. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The bans due to fire risk are usually July after a hot dry June and some routes/ areas are higher risk than others such as Dorset and York.

16. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

I hope it works out that way, after all, "The Ebor Streak" ran without issues on 29 June 2013. It was the two 90mph runs scheduled after that, that were canned. We haven't seen much main line steam on the WCML during high summer IIRC, so not sure how reassured I am by the route / area point however. Fingers crossed as always, :)

17. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Probably not a lot that can be done re the date for this tour - it's probably tied in to when 35028's ticket expires. And, if steam tour promoters start assuming there is going to be a steam ban during the summer, it's pretty much a guarantee of the wettest summer on record.

spicer21 and Paul42 like this.
  18. kissack13

kissack13 New Member

Getting back to the raison d'être of this thread, UKR advise that the tour to Chester on 30th June is selling fantastically well, and should be sold out within the next few days. Shows the 'pulling power' of Clan Line!

Departure time will be pretty close to 08.25 from Victoria; Euston was a no-no due to platform availability on a weekday morning and water usage concerns. Pick up at Watford Jn, and water stops at Rugby and near Bedworth. Fastest pathway possible has been requested, but as has been pointed out, we're constrained by having to fit in with other traffic on the busy WCML. Electric-hauled from Crewe to Euston on the return.

It is hoped that Clan Line will be back in traffic during Autumn 2016, in readiness for the 50th anniversary of the end of Southern steam in 2017 (the loco's final duty was actually 5th July). Expect to see a little more non-Pullman work at that time. In the meantime, a joint 'announcement' re the replacement loco on the BBP is imminent.

rule55 likes this.
  19. Big Al

That is such a tease as there is no need to go via Northampton for a pick up or for water. All that's needed now is something really creative from NR to get us to Rugby via Kilsby. Well, we can always dream.

20. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

LM unit about 30 mins in front breaks down just after Hanslope Junction closing the Northampton route perhaps ? :)