If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line Farewell 30th June

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Jan 14, 2015.

1. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Sadly no Tom, it was before my time. That must have been a stupendous spectacle.

Jamessquared likes this.
  2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Lots of Bulleid chatter on this thread, but not really off topic as it is about the end of 35028's current tour of duty! Another "end of an era."

I'll look out the best run I had behind Clan Line and post it here. On the down ACE to Salisbury with the late great Fred Hoare from Salisbury M.P.D. at the controls. July 1964.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Talking of Clan Line farewells. Let's not forget her 'au revoir' in March 2001. Down to Exeter and back via Taunton, Bristol and Westbury - all in a day. Rolled through Taunton on a tsr in 32.5 min from Exeter and starting out of Salisbury, we were through Andover in 20.5 min having gone over the top at 60+. All this from a loco just about to be disassembled. Hopefully we will get something lively up the WCML (or at least the bit of it on the SL we will be allowed on). I know it's a pathing issue but given that we are running non stop between Watford and Rugby it would have been good to have gone direct.

4. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

That photo of 35012 is taken maybe a couple of hundred yards down from where I used to stand nearly 60 years ago watching the Wimbledon yard (33015/7/38), the St Helier milk train (Norwood C2X sometimes with double dome) and of course the main line. That's where I saw King Pellinore and The Red Knight, the last of the Urie Arthurs, probably on Basingstoke trains. The 1254 from Waterloo was a good one, anything could turn up on that--- this is mid 50s to early 60s.

KentYeti likes this.
  5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Which end of the yard was that.

This end? With a King Arthur on a xx.54 Waterloo-Basingstoke train.

[​IMG]

In the middle with famous footpath over the other side of the tracks:-

[​IMG]

Or up at the Raynes Park end by Wimbledon C signal box?

[​IMG]

All 1962 - 1964.

Cheers,

Bryan

PS. I'll get that 35028 log soon. Promise!

30567 likes this.
  6. Big Al

That location - the path between the two Wimbledon boxes is where all my line-side notes were taken in the 1960s before I graduated (meaning began to afford) to ride the steam. In the quiet moments there was always the Q1 and C2X action in the yard to watch. But we digress.

7. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks torgormaig for that info , so for now will say it was 34052 ... If anyone out there can confirm would appreciate that......thanks as well KentYeti for your input ........

8. 6136

6136 Member

According to Real time trains it's fast line on the way back tho' from Hanslope Jn. all the way to Campden so that should be lively.

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Checked the note book and it seems John may have had the numbers given to him transposed because under "34095 Belle", is 34052 and something I can't read! I suspect he had been given the info as you were in those days, (still are), but his informant got the locos the wrong way round. I would say 34052 it was.

Now, as promised, back to 35028!

A typical Fred Hoare run. Gentle start from Waterloo to let Clan Line warm up then slowly opened up. But never pushed that hard. Nice climb to MP 31, the usual 90 though Andover, but no 90 down Porton because of the tsr after Grateley. Loco and crew absolute masters of their work. The run back on the up ACE was good too. 35009 12/440 tons gross. Driver Hill and fireman Bacon. Just over 75 minutes net. Averaged 80.05 mph for the 50.1 miles from Overton to Earlsfield with 89 mph max at Newnham siding. Wonderful, wonderful days. Merchant Navys, very much including Clan Line, just purring along the SW main line.

The full capabilities of the MNs were unknown to the operating guys on the SR! When a request was made for a 78 minute schedule to Salisbury in October 1966 they limited the load to 8 cars! 35023 did the run in a net time of just over 71 minutes with 102 mph max. And the fastest ever recorded was 35020 on 12 cars/430 gross, net just over 68 minutes, Salisbury to Waterloo. 55 up Porton, 94 though Andover and 100 below Basingstoke. Timed by the Revd J.E.T Phillips. Up ACE relief and try as we might none of us have ever found out who the driver was. We think Nine Elms No 2 link.

[​IMG]

athelney likes this.
  10. bakabung

bakabung Well-Known Member

Cat servant
    Brings back some different memories. I spent the summer of 1971 working at Rediffusion TV Research and living in Wimbledon. I often popped over to the dairy at St Helier where they had a milk carton dispenser! The dairy has now been demolished.

11. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

On the footpath on the far side of the footbridge from which the third photo was taken. I walked to and from school down that footpath from Raynes Park every day till I got a bike. 30852 on the 0830 stopper to Bournemouth day after day. But we digress and I hope Clan Line does well next week.

12. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

The return leg is hauled by a class 90 from Crewe back to Euston, hence why it is on the fast rather than the slow.

acorb likes this.
  13. Big Al

As we move even closer to the day when Clan Line hauls her last steam charter for a while, I remembered today's date - June 27th. Roll back 48 years precisely to the time I am typing this when I was standing on the platform at Basingstoke on a Tuesday evening waiting for the arrival of the 1815 from Weymouth. We had been promised something special between Basingstoke and Woking.

The good news was that the 2256 arrival turned up with a Merchant Navy. It was Clan Line, that I knew was up for preservation, as did every other enthusiast at Basingstoke, as did the driver, Fred Burridge who was asked if he could do his magic but "Please don't break Clan Line!" So with a load of 4 coaches, two bogie vans and a four wheel van that fortunately was marshalled in the consist rather than as the last vehicle, we set off.

After six miles, a little beyond Hook, we were inside even time from the start and running at 87 mph. Winchfield was passed at 89 and Fleet at 96. We had to drop back to 59 for a tsr shortly before milepost 31 but were up to 88 again by Brookwood and drew up at Woking in under nineteen and a half minutes. That's a start to stop average of 73 mph.

I had no idea then, of course, that in a few days time from now I'd be going up the WCML with the same locomotive. All I can say is, "Thank you Fred and the many other drivers who looked after Clan Line near the end of steam as we have a legacy that in my view, is the gold standard of main line steam. Hopefully, next week will run smoothly and it won't be long before she is back.

rule55 and KentYeti like this.
  14. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

FTR passed, all set for tomorrow.

James

KentYeti likes this.
  15. bakabung

Cat servant
    I see that the LE movement was from Eastleigh this morning.

16. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That would have been the ECS. Clan Line is based at Stewarts Lane in south London

17. bakabung

Cat servant
    Thanks. Yes I knew that it was at Stewarts Lane, hence the query as I thought that it had popped down there for some reason.

18. AMP

AMP Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Diesel uncoupled. Tail lamp on last coach, 35028 on the front. All looking good!

Andrew

KentYeti likes this.
  19. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    What's the load ?

20. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

AFAIK, load 12

James