If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line special duty tour.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by ian14, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Could this be the freight duty at the Sheffield Outokumpu steelworks? 70000 was reported in the Railway press as doing freight workings within the steelworks site and was said to be taking place in mid June and as far as I'm aware 70000 is still under repair so maybe they called up 35028 as a replacement?

2. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Well, Tinsley is in Sheffield... I think!

I guess it is, as disappearing suddenly from Stewarts Lane suggests, to me anyway, that this was a last second call up. A shame the public aren't allowed in, I've always wanted to see a 'grubby' Merchant in steam working a freight! :( I never saw 35005 as 35008 at it's farewell gala in 2008, so 35028 would've been the next best thing! :p

James at SVn

3. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Looking into it I beleive my theory is correct. Tinsley is a suburb of Sheffield (according to SR South Yorkshire police have a station opposite the site) and Outokumpu is a customer of DB Schenker (which is 35028's prefered crew operator). Bit sad as Richard Corser of Locomotive Services said that its a firm booking and will happen but guess there's still more work to do 70000.

I suspect that if 35028 was to be grubby the MNPLS would have her clean again very quickly.

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

As we are talking about steel (the stainless sort) my guess is that she will remain pretty clean.

5. grahamjenks

grahamjenks New Member

Tinsley as well as being a Sheffield Suburb was of course the site of Sheffield's Tinsley Marshalling Yard and TMD.

I'm hopefully seeing some Friends who work at Outokumpu tonight, they have no interest in railyways but they may have some insider knowledge as to what's going on.

6. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Before eyebrows get raised too high at the view on a MN with 12 doing York-Darlington start to stop in around 34 minutes, I'd think about four Bulleid runs. That 103/104 mph Gordon Porter run Don timed with Clan Line, including the fast acceleration up to the mid 90s from 32 at Woking. The Sootie Saunders run with 35005 on 12 and that astonishing acceleration from 74 at Byfeet up the grade to nearly 79 at Brookwood. 35012 and Gordon Hooper taking the heavy Bournemouth Belle over the top of Roundwood at 76 mph after around 16 miles at 1/252 up and no chance of a run at the bank after the Southampton start of course. Then this will surprise most, the 34087 run, (yes a Light Pacific). on the 12 car up Channel Island Boat train and what could have so easily have been a 70 mph start to stop run over just 23.5 miles from Basingstoke to Woking, (driver Shepherd came down rather low for the tsr after Farnborough and like a number of drivers who had just enjoyed a nice spell of speed decided not to push hard again before Woking, which wasn't that far away). And then the incredible acceleration up the grade from around 70 at Byfleet after the Woking stop on the same run.

I may one day, (or two weeks!), sit down and see what such a time to Darlington would entail for a MN on 12, using the four above runs as benchmarks, adding a bit to the Light Pacific run of course. Then look at the sustained HP needed and the steaming rate required. But on the same gut feeling basis Don has probably used at present, and knowing full well what a MN on a decent load can do over quite a distance with a crew determined to do something exceptional I would say 34 minutes is not far away from reality. Everything would need to be perfect of course. And it would probably need two firemen!

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Best place for a Merchant Navy, tucked away out of sight doing some shunting *runs for cover*

saltydog likes this.
  8. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    As it's going to a steelworks maybe they'll turn it into a few real Spam Cans.:p Tin hat firmly fixed to my head.

9. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Member

Joiner
    Well as I posted in another thread Clan line and support coach passed through Rotherham Central at 14.55 towed by a 66. Stopped a couple of minutes in the station for a signal. Tinsley is quite close to Rotherham and Sheffield near Meadowhall as well.
    Brian

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

No need to run for cover at all David. I think you are spot on. In this year of all years tucked away is the best place for a MN on the LNER.

I mean what a dreadful way to spoil the A4 party. Letting 35028 be unleashed on an LNER main line.......................

No. Us SR types do show respect for other very high performing steam locomotives like the A4s. They have also put out some wonderful performances in their time. Well, I think they have? ;)

And I have looked at a number of 47 class and a few 46 class runs between York and Darlington, (both rated at less power than a MN at full output). And subject to the MN getting a superb start from York, and a very fast finish into Darlington I feel stronger that close to 34 minutes on 12 could be possible if a loco owner and the crew were prepared to push the MN close to the limit over the whole of just that section. And I can't think of any on the road failures during one of the 1960s MN runs where they were being pushed very hard indeed. It would come back down to how long a MN could sustain close to it's maximum power output, with some bursts right at the maximum. The 35012 run on the Belle up Roundwood gives some indication of sustaining somewhere close to maximum power.

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Again, no need for a tin hat.

As your signature line make it clear you are not speaking on behalf of any organisation you are involved with I am assuming that is not your employers plan to do that.

Is it a good job, being employed by the Hormel Foods Corporation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam

:)

spindizzy likes this.
  12. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

A little laugh and chuckle about the thought of Clan line on the ecml today. An out of the blue occasion in my opinion! Will she be getting some additional duties this summer? It would be cool if she gets one more assignment while up north.

13. Big Al

She has planned events at the Outokumpu works shunting wagons between the Upper Head Shunt and the Exchange Sidings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Nothing for Sunday. Returning to The Lane on Monday.

14. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

Yes and dont forget that after topping Roundwood at 76 mph (with 455 tons) and still accelerating, we got checked down to walking pace at Worting and then proceeded to run from Basingstoke to Surbiton at an average of 86 mph with braking at times to keep speed below 95 mph. Just one fireman of course but I am sure such an effort could be repeated on the GN. In terms of an overall assessment on the basis of hp per ton of engine weight this run was ranked some years ago by JNC Law as second only to 6234 on Shap and above anything that any LNER engine had done, not excluding 60022 on Stoke. It may only be speculation but it could be made to happen and anyway why shouldnt us old SR fans be allowed to dream?

Don

Don

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Not a public event I assume?

16. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

Now that would be really something.

17. Big Al

Ralph. I don't know. The event is celebrating 100 years since the invention of stainless steel with a corporate day today, schools' day tomorrow and family day on Saturday. I should think that the best way to find out more and whether there is a 'turn-up' rather than 'invited' option is to contact the company hosting it. All the event info is on the MNLPS site but no contact info, from which I assume this means that the company is managing access and invitations. This from their web site gives the relevant location details - http://www.outokumpu.com/en/Pages/Locations.aspx?Region=Europe&Country=United Kingdom#map0.
    They also have a Twitter feed at: http://twitter.com/OutokumpuDistUK

18. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

19. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

What is life without the occasional dream!

One issue for that route is the 35 mph limit into Darlington station, 0.4 miles out. That rather stops an exceptional finish as per Jim Evans with 34001 down from Brookwood to the Woking stop on 24th May 1967. 94mph through Brookwood and stopped in Woking 3 mins 20 secs later for the 3.7 miles. Including a signal check to below 70 after Brookwood, from which he accelerated up to 74 again! It's not a spreadsheet yeti, but it looks like a net time to the stop for those 3.7 miles of around 3 mins 10 secs. Interesting run that. Jim had only trolled along at up to 90 mph down towards Fleet, 83 over MP 31 and then opened up before Brookwood. He wasn't trying to get 100mph between Brookwood and the Woking stop was he? ;) "Just testing the braking distance". LOL!

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Thanks Al.
    No it was just curiosity, but a White rose......... God forbid that I would ever consider such a thing.