If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clearance work commences at the Bluebell's Imberhorne Tip

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Axe, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    Work has at last got under way to clear the railway cutting filled with domestic waste in preparation for extending the Bluebell Railway. Yesterday (Tuesday 25th November) was the official inauguration on the excavation of the tip on the Northern Extension. The diggers and lorries are now active, and the first lorry loads of rubbish have left the site!

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7747542.stm

Both BBC and ITV carried the story in the local news bulletins. A Bluebell member has uploaded the news item to YouTube.

The BBC report is at: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1hgBXcBo7w8

and the ITV one is at: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvN55v4SIU

Note that this initial clearance work will not run beyond Christmas, but will recommence again sometime next year as and when finance permits.

Chris

2. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

The current money will pay for 30m of rubbish to be removed.

Visiting the site yesterday, certainly made me feel more positive about the project. It would be great to get some sort of viewing area/open days when work is not being done so that people can see the sheer scale of the project. That might inspire some people to give their hard earned cash. I don't think that the current funding methods are helping the project a great deal - either through raising money for the project or inspiring confidence that it can be done!

Also to add that Nicolas Owen is not a volunteer, though his assistance at media related thingys is definatly a plus!

Minky - Amusing flag waving!

3. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    [​IMG]

4. jonpbowers

jonpbowers New Member

He's not the only amusing flag waver though, eh Tom ;-)

[attachment=0:2ogaa8cd]waving.jpg[/attachment:2ogaa8cd]

5. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Another example of triumph over adversity (and we have had a few this year) although I know that there's a lot of money to raise yet. It just shows how wickedly foolish it was not to preserve these disused trackbeds. Instead we and our predecessors permitted cuttings to be filled in, bridges and viaducts to be demolished (thank God Imberhorne viaduct survived) and now its costing a fortune to put it all back! I felt quite moved when I saw the interview with Mr Holden; at 100 he is well placed to see the silliness of the dismantling of the railways and must feel vindicated to see things being put back to how they should be. I do realise that very few of our heritage lines may be able to do what the Bluebell is doing but it must give us all renewed vigour to crack on and fight our heritage corner. Well done to you all!

6. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

Glad to see that work has finally started, and it has received press coverage. Hopefully some good ideas can be found to raise the other £4.5 M to complete the work!

7. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION

I agree with you there.

CW.

8. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yep I agree, it was great to see Bernard Holden interviewed but the key sentence was made "work should start again next year depending on finance being raised". That's hard to see that happening considering the share issue hasn't raised as much as the powers that be thought it would. Don't get me wrong it will be great when E.G. is reached and if Bernard is still with us to see that happen but to say it could be completed by 2010 is just a bit doubtful, considering the Bluebell's financial situation.

9. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Maybe the press coverage will inspire people to actually donate or join in with the share issue now that they can see for themselves something actually happening. [-o<

10. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

I concur Tom. However it would also be encouraging if the starting price were lowered to something more reasonable than £250 (say £50) in order to build some real momentum off the back of this coverage.

11. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

The limit is as high as it is because of the cost of admin overtime for shareholders. Though it could maybe be reduced they have not done so.

There should be a separate funding stream in place for those that want to give £50, that then does not involve all the legal gubbins but thanks them for their support.
    It appears that they reckon that tapping up rich people is the way forward, though after the scientologists, maybe Nicholas Van Highstratun is next! :-$ :-$ :-k =; =; =;

The share issue closes on New Years Eve. Work will then continue if funds are available in spring.

12. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I think it,s Hoogstratten but we get the picture Minky.

It does show though just how out of touch with the great unwashed the board has become.

CW.

13. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

Oh yeah.... I just got in and wanted to get to sleep! Still a nastly piece of work that Uckfield resident is though!

You may is some respects be correct about the board.

However the one that you often mention who is not an elected director is the one that is delivering the project which involves so many people and it is actually being done. Whether he should be there in a non-exec role instead, I don't know.
    I was also suprised to learn that he is all for getting members access to the area and a construction of a viewing area.
    Personally, I don't think that anyone else could take it on now - Just look at what happened when the previous late Peter Thomas died. The project stalled big time.

14. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I wish the Bluebell all best in there extensions final big push towards a mainline connection.
    I have every intension of visiting your line in the new year and only wish there was some other way of me contributing to the project apart from the share issue as £250 is a bit more than i can donate.

A odd question i know but how long will it be till the road bridge is totally clear of rubbish?

15. Columbine

Columbine Member

I am also a member at the G/WR and I note in the 'Cornishman' (the G/WR members mag, the equivalent to 'Bluebell News') that G/WR members can become shareholders for as little as £5 per month.

16. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

There is no timescale really. The key factor is funding.
    The current money rasied £400k pays for 30m of rubbish to be removed. The start of which can be seen on the youtube videos and on the BBC website.
    Work will stop in December and restart in the new year after Winter (can't remember when).
    The good news is that now work has started this will hopefully inspire and great deal more people into the project, plus the contractors appointed look like a very good firm and are all behind volunteer site support, which of a weeks work saves thousands of pounds!

Hopefully in the new year some additional funding streams for lower, some might say more affordable amounts can be launched, that thank you for your support and donation. In the meantime if you know of any Russian Oligarchs that need to hide a few bob, send them to Bluebell!

The connection with National Rail as far as the viaduct will be laid in the next few months. The 4VEP will then be kept there, with an unveiling in the Spring.

A share deffered payment scheme should be launched before this issue's deadline of 31 December.
    The legal costs of the share issue were in the tens of thousands.

Also. Am I correct in thinking that this is the largest capital investment project by a heritage railway without any outside assitance from agencies or grants?

17. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Syn;

It is high time that you re-applied to be a Trustee again , you ,( and others like Neil Glaskin), are just the breath of fresh air that the the Bluebell needs right now.

You guys are honest and dedicated and always keep the membership informed, so couple that with the future Society Chairmanship of Gavin Bennett, you people would put the great back into the Bluebell railway again.

It,s time we had a campaign to get you guys elected, after all this is democracy.

Regards
    Chris Willis

18. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Peter Thomas OBE (rip) was a very hard act to follow, so the powers decided in their wisdom to put Jim Turtle in charge, after that it was downhill all the way.

Peter Thomas knew people, was a true gentleman, and I am convinced that if he were alive today the Bluebell would be up and running at East Grinstead today.

By the way what happenned to the "chocolate teapot", and Pryer?, are they still around>

Regards
    Chris

19. i_like_trains

i_like_trains New Member

£50!!!!
    That's a lot of burgers.......

20. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Not as much as you'd get for £250 though ;-)