If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Clun Castle' re-commissioning

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Shep Woolley, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    The re-commissioning event for GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 No. 7029 'Clun Castle' at Tyseley

Tyseley 7b.jpg

Castle Class 4-6-0 'Clun Castle' and 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' on the demonstration line at Tyseley during the re-commissoning event. Hall Class 4-6-0 'Rood Ashton Hall'
    getting in on the act. What a mouth watering thought seeing them together over Shap and the S+C

Tyseley 8b.jpg

Magnificent!!!

Tyseley 10b.jpg

Bob and Alistair Meanley with the rest of the lads who made this possible-well done to you all

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2017
  2. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Be still my beating heart! ❤️

3. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    Outstanding!!

4. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

God almighty, now she is a real stunner!

5. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes indeed!! But better still, how about the even-more-alluring prospect of the sight of this pairing on former GW/ BR(W) metals once again?? Notwithstanding the blight of GWML electrification works and the curse of gauging issues, there's still a lot of home-ground territory to go at. And in all truth, there hasn't been too much copper-capped action on these routes (outside the Shakespeare circuit) this year, amounting to two Marches outings and an inter-regional to Salisbury back in spring, and recently the return leg of the Shropshire Express from Chester to Tyseley. . and that's about it.

So maybe not the grandeur of the Shap/ S&C circuit. But much closer to the spiritual heart of everything and everywhere that Swindon products would ever be associated with. And I'm sure that VT know and understand this when I read the copy for the promotion of the erstwhile VT Cotswold Express "The Cotswold Express will place the correct locomotive in the correct setting; a double-chimney Castle back on home ground steaming through the picturesque Cotswold Hills..... "

Anyhow, these are marvellous, stirring images of Clun at the re-commissioning event, perhaps tinged with just a little sadness at the sight of Rood Ashton Hall in a bit-part role, confined to base and going nowhere anytime soon.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  6. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

I have noticed how little we've seen of Rood Ashton this summer (if at all?) has there been a problem?

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Gauging.