If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CME - 2019

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Linesider

Linesider Member

Thanks very much all for your positive words, glad you enjoyed it so much. Great to see the sun shining on Lizzie again, even if it was raining at the same time (a surreal experience even by Shap standards!)

Waterbuck likes this.
  2. Jontie

Jontie New Member

Retired
    What a stunning video and what an effort you put into it. I'm privileged to have shared in it. Thank you very much indeed.

Linesider likes this.
  3. Julian Jones

Julian Jones New Member

Can I add my comments in awe of the video? Forgive my curiosity but it’s so unusual I have a few questions...
    With regard to the southbound S and C section, was it all taken from the same vantage point? Where was it? I note the scenery “changes” as you move from one phase to another. Do you have a continuous version - so for example you can see the steam trail disappear into each of the tunnels and re-emerge?
    Thanks again for sharing.

Linesider likes this.
  4. Steamage

Steamage Member

Just watched this in my lunch break. Brilliant. You've raised the bar again, David. This is just the sort of thing my Steam Age pals and I try to do but we've never got close to this. All I can say is that we're full of admiration.

Linesider and Shep Woolley like this.
  5. Linesider

Linesider Member

Thanks very much Jontie, Julian and Mark - greatly appreciated and you're most welcome, nice to share these things!

No worries and yes it was all taken from the same location - up on Mallerstang Edge. I do have more footage but I couldn't see it entering Helm Tunnel, and in truth, my composition wasn't right initially for it re-emerging as I couldn't tell where the portal was until the steam re-appeared. With Birkett Tunnel, there is a tiny bit more of steam disappearing into the fell, then I set the camera to the southern portal to get it re-appearing. I did film it all the way up Mallerstang but the lack of much noise or sun meant I cut most of it after she turned the corner towards Angerholme. Think I shot around 20-25 minutes, with Smardale being the only area where she couldn't be seen for a few minutes.

6. ragl

ragl Member

Consultant Engineer
    Superb. Just. Superb........

Cheerz,

Alan

Linesider likes this.
  7. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I posted most of this last Sunday in the RTC 2020 Thread and one of the Mods quickly shunted it off to Bullhead Memories. In retrospect I probably should have posted this part here.

With not much to do and a lot of time to do it in I dug out the GPS file, picked out some relevant sectional times and calculated a couple of horsepower figures that were not included in my original report; these illustrate just what a top-notch performance it was.

The Cumbrian Mountain Express 18 May 2019 – 45690 Leander hauling 10+POB (More info)

It was an overcast day when we left Carnforth with 45690 at the head of 11 coaches with Mick Rawling driving and Chris Holmes firing. It was start as you mean to go on with a min of 30 on Yealand Bank and 34 at the summit. There followed a noisy acceleration up to 65 across Beela Viaduct and holding 50 as we roared through Oxenholme; speeds that would not disgrace a larger locomotive. We topped Grayrigg at 38. Had Leander done too much too soon? No, she was in fine fettle as she gathered pace through the Lune Gorge and we hit the foot of the Shap Trial Section (MP31½) at a shade over 70 and seven minutes and thirty-nine wonderfully noisy seconds later we passed MP37¼ at 28 and cleared the summit board at 32 (average edhp around 1275 – very good for a Jubilee).

As we entered Carlisle 45231 was waiting in High Wapping sidings ready to take a Saphos train along the Cumbrian coast. Wetherspoons were open (those were the days, can anyone still remember what a pub was and how you had to squeeze past other customers?). I had Teryaki chicken and noodles (soon to disappear from the menu and much missed by Oswald).

On the return leg Clive Gault took the shovel and Mick Rawling continued at the regulator. The excellent performance continued on the run to Appleby, the highlight for me being the sustained 60mph whilst climbing from Long Meg Viaduct up through Little Salkeld all the while accompanied by the spine-tingling Jubilee roar. Carlisle to Appleby in a creditable 41m 10s. Then for the only disappointment of the day; not much choice of ice creams and I had to settle for Thunder & Lightning. Mmm, ice cream – those were the days, and, as you ask, I am still abstaining from ice cream (West Brom Tom please don’t report me! Again!).

A little light rain had been falling, could this hinder our charge towards Ormside? No, we touched 55mph in the dip and a smidge less at MP275 which is the start of the “Blue Riband” section (MP275 to MP259¾). Jubs don’t have a reputation as the best hill climbers; big wheels and perhaps a bit “under-boilered”. However, nobody had told Mick, Clive and Leander and she just kept going and going, roaring all the way. Surely she must run out of puff at some point, but no Mick judged it perfectly and the power stayed on all the way to the summit. We passed the summit board in 24m 02s from MP275 with 33mph at the top and an average edhp of around 1150.

[As we made our way from Hellifield towards Clitheroe we passed through Chatburn and time to mention that “Whistles” came to the south side of the valley in 1961 when nearby Worsaw End Farm was the chosen location for the film Whistle Down The Wind starring Hayley Mills. On the north side of the valley there had been my sort of “Wistles” in and around Grindleton for over 600 years].

One last challenge, Whalley to Wilpshire, a climb of 291ft in 4½miles was dismissed in 8 scintillating minutes and 7 stupendous seconds as Leander roared her way up the bank; the noisiest bit was saved until last.

A memorable day out, and about as good as it gets with a Jubilee – or so we thought. . . .

RalphW, Mick45305 and pjhliners like this.
  8. 46203

46203 Well-Known Member

_DSC0511-Edit.jpg

Return leg on 18 May 2019 - Taken a while for this to wing itself here, did you submit your report by carrier pigeon by any chance?

9. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    No usual method but it was typed by an infinite number of monkeys using an infinite number of keyboards and it took them a year to get it right. Talking of pigeons the bird in your pic looks a bit on the big side.

10. 46203

46203 Well-Known Member

Breed them big up here... Telephoto lens used, bird will have been nearer the camera than the 5X.

11. Victor

Victor Part of the furniture Friend

Retired
    Yes Mr Whistle, it's been noted by a few members who, if I might say so, are not too happy with what seems to be a developing trend. First we had the excellent photographic contributions on The Jacobite thread, and now an attempt to stifle your excellent in depth reporting. Eventually members will get so brassed off they'll just stop posting.
    I don't know what goes on 'behind the scenes' on the forum but it would be interesting to know if decisions are democratic (all mods involved) or autocratic (one individual mod)

sgthompson likes this.
  12. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks Victor for your encouraging words. With nothing currently going on just as some photographers who are posting "new" pics of previous trips I have been looking back at my records and posting "new" information or analysis (with a bit of the usual nonsense thrown in). I can't answer if the decisions, on what and what is not relevant, are democratic or unilateral - because I don't know. I do agree that if this continues members will become disheartened and stop posting, especially if the reason for a particular action was not fully explained (I am not saying that this was the case with my most recent post). An un-moderated forum would be a disaster and I would not like to have to perform the role of moderator but as the mods realise with the power comes responsibility - exercising one without the other would leave the forum a much poorer place. Oswald is resilient and will continue posting.

Victor, pjhliners, 46203 and 3 others like this.