If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Coal Tank 1054

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 05micfis, Dec 20, 2010.

1. 05micfis

05micfis Member

How is the overhaul progressing with this locomotive? A couple of months ago a new inside cylinder block was cast and was fitted in the frames. This was the last I heard about her progress. Her return to steam is predicted for Autumn 2011 which would be very good news. Also I heard that a repaint into plain BR black as 58926 is possible. How much of this is true as I would really love to see her in this guise, possibly paired with 49395 for a recreation of the SLS 'Last Train from Abergavenny to Merthyr' railtour.

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    There is a working week between Christmas and New Year.

Everything is on track as it has to be when the HLF are at the reins

3. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Thanks for the reply. She'll be a huge credit to everyone at Ingrow when outshopped, whether it be unlined BR black or LNWR lined black. Her return to traffic will be one of my most eagerly anticipated returns to steam of 2011 along with 43924.

4. Guest

Occasional
    Well done the BLS lads - she's back - Ingrow yesterday afternoon - would have posted earlier but one has to posture on Blackpool trams this week :lol:

Has anyone else photted two LNW locos in steam this week? - and when was it last done?

20111028 001 1054 Roll Out Img_1728.jpg

5. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Magic!! Hope to see her at the KWVR's feb gala, SSSIII and perhaps if she were to visit the SVR, that would suit me down to the ground!

However, I would most like to see her at the P&BR and N&LR - LNW lines both!

6. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I've been reading the book about the coal tanks and now consider myself to be a coal tank fan, it's good to see her back!

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Nene Valley also?

8. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Ah but I am a member of the other two!

9. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Superb job.............Bahamas next!

10. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Very nice, good to see it back. Always nice to see another pre-grouping loco return to traffic.

11. John Hillier

John Hillier New Member

Having the responsibility for managing the 'relaunch' of 1054 and for planning its future programme I must say I was surprised - and very disappointed - to see the picture of the loco in steam last Friday given we (BLS) wanted to keep the event very low profile with a planned major release to the Press etc shortly given the iconic status of the engine.
    The engine will feature at the KWVR's February Gala (BR 58926) then at Llangollen before going to Railfest. We plan to change it to LMS 7799 around mid-2012 and I anticipate that it will visit the SVR next September before reverting to LNWR lined livery over the 2012/13 winter.
    Several other lines/depots have asked for the engine and i am currently working out its programme for 2013 and beyond. Watch the press or our website for further details.
    My plea is for anyone reading this to support STEAM'S LAST BLAST Appeal as, having now undertaken most of the 'engineering' work on 1054 we need to turn our attention to BAHAMAS. Full details can be found on www.bahamas45596.co.uk.

12. Guest

Occasional
    John - you stood right next to me at times last Friday and if you wished to embargo the news could have mentioned it. No such request was made, so I was blissfully unaware of such a stance.

I am not one of those who send pictures to magazines, merely taking photos for my own enjoyment, so your press position is entriely clear

13. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Given the size of steam locomotives and the 'public ' nature of heritage railways I would of thought it was virtually impossible to prevent the upload of pictures onto an internet forum by enthusiasts for the purpose of other enthusiasts to enjoy?! (Aside from steaming it inside a giant tent of course!). Congratualtions to all involved for this restoration, she looks fantastic, but please don't discredit people for wanting to share this fantastic news, a forum is very different to published media and is very much an instant news medium. Indeed there are many potential supporters here who may want to support the return to steam of Bahamas and seeing a picture of 1054 may spur them on.

14. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

In all fairness you have said you are disappointed someone released a picture before you wanted too but haven't you done similar in your post by revealing it may go to the SVR in September, meaning most likely the Autumn Gala?

I have never known the SVR to officially announce a visiting loco for their Autumn Gala this early and 90% of the time the SVR forum is first to confirm anything in this nature. Have you not released this bit of info a bit early?

The locomotive does look great though.

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

You could have always imposed a photo embargo....NRM did it with Scotsman

16. John Hillier

John Hillier New Member

Frank's comments are noted; all BLS members present were aware of our photo wishes!
    Re the loco's plans the diary for 2012 is full and we have kept BLS members informed about the requests that we have had and the plans that we have made; all of course are dependant on availability and successful negotiations.
    Several other railways have also asked for it and discussions will take place in due course but the 2013 diary is probably full and I am looking now into 2014!
    The interest in the loco has grown considerably in recent weeks and no doubt will continue to do so once it is formally in traffic.

17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    All we need now is to reopen the Heads of the Valleys line and we can run the last train all over again double headed with the Super D. :)
    Seriously good news to see she's a runner once more.

18. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    You could run em down there on two low loaders. Most of it is now a road.

19. John Hillier

John Hillier New Member

It would seem that 58926/Super D would be a MAJOR attraction but i fear it will not run over the Heads of the Valley road!

20. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Pontypool & Blaenavon perhaps?