If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Columbine's Photo-guides

Discussion in 'Photographic Guides' started by Columbine, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Columbine

Columbine Member

Deleted

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I notice you've said that the farmer at Pan Pudding Hill is unfriendly. Not surprised as to access that vantage point you are trespassing on his land. Not a good idea to post details of trespass shots as any chance we have of winning round farmers and other landowners isn't going to be helped by people tramping across their land without permission.

3. Columbine

Columbine Member

It was actually intended to be a joke. Nobody I know would risk climbing over a barb-wired five bar gate! But before the gate was wired it was a great shot.

Regards

4. Columbine

Columbine Member

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
  6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Another location for Bluebell "steam in the landscape" shots in the afternoon can be found here : http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=53...archp=ids.srf&dn=829&ax=536305&ay=130267&lm=0 There is a car park next to the church and the view is from the graveyard. Some cracking winter glints available in the right conditions.

7. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

It's a very good guide, but I do have a problem with it. Saying that Hi-Viz is useful when at the green lane foot crossing. Non-staff members should not be on MHR property wearing a Hi-Viz. It can and does cause many problems as loco crews and others think they are staff. The foot crossing should only be used for crossing. Any other use is against byelaws. E.g. standing on it to take photos. You can only go on or near the line with a valid MHR-PTS card.

8. Columbine

Columbine Member

I was simply thinking of the safety of the persons at the crossing. The simple truth is that there are always people at this crossing, perhaps they shouldn't be there, but neither does the MHR police it. Personally I don't use this location as it's too crowded, but others might particularly on non-gala running days.

Thanks for the post.

Regards

9. Columbine

Columbine Member

Thanks for this contribution and the other on the Bluebell. I'll add them to the guides asap

Regards

10. Spamcan81

Training moles
    My pleasure. The MHR locations are on narrow roads but it is possible to park in gateways/entrances to fields and leave the road clear.

11. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

I don't see how a Hi-Viz would provide safety? You can only be seen.

12. Spamcan81

Training moles
  13. Columbine

Columbine Member

Thanks for this one. Super picture, really nice.

Regards

14. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

15. A useful document but some of the map reading is suspect. And just a word of warning that some of the WSR locations are on private land (Marshwood Farm crossing), some of the "public" footpaths are not public at all (the last part of the suggested access to the latter location is not a public footpath; and the "bridleway" to the "factory" at Dunster is actually a private road to the sewage works), and the WSR do not, in my view, sanction access to non-public areas of the railway to non-permit holders (Washford Bank via war memorial). The WSR do not encourage trespass on neighbouring land so, if you do not have a valid WSR lineside permit, and you do not have permission from the landowner, please stick to public areas only when visiting the WSR for photography. Ta.

Steve
    (WSW)

16. Columbine

Columbine Member

Due to the constant sniping by members of NP I've decided to stop doing my photo guides. It's a shame but it's for the best. In future I'll keep the info purely for myself.

One of the experiences of my life has been the attitude of rural landowners to urban dwellers such as myself. Generally speaking they are perfectly content that people should be able to walk over their land providing that dogs are kept on a lead, that crops are not damaged, livestock are not harmed and gates are kept closed. In other words that their uninvited visitors obey the 'Country Code'. This attitude is most exemplified in tourist areas like West Somerset where landowners see that part of their responsibility to the local economy is to permit innocent access to their land. It is not the same as people in an urban environment tramping over your garden!

As far as the situation at Washford Station is concerned, the WSR does not have trespass notices at the eastern end of the platform and it is perfectly normal for enthusiasts to be on the top of the cutting without hi-viz vests. The other side of the cutting is the place where the hi-viz brigade, of which I'm a member, go.

So no more photo guides. The next one was to be of the Llangollen in time for its next big do; tough!

Regards

17. I'm sorry that you see my comments as "sniping". I merely pointed some of the incorrect information in your guide and I had hoped you would see fit to make good the errors. I'm sure you agree that accuracy is important. The guides are very useful. I hope you reconsider your decision.

Steve
    (WSW)

18. Columbine

Columbine Member

Thank you for the apology; accepted of course!

All the best

19. Columbine

Columbine Member

20. Errmm. I didn't apologise for anything other than feeling sorry that you felt my comments were "sniping". I stand by everything I said originally about trespass on railway and non-railway land, and inaccurate advice about access routes, which I sincerely hope you will put right in your Guides.

Best wishes

Steve
    (WSW)