If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Columbine's Photo-guides

Discussion in 'Photographic Guides' started by Columbine, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Columbine

Columbine Member

Errmm. I didn't apologise for anything other than feeling sorry that you felt my comments were "sniping". I stand by everything I said originally about trespass on railway and non-railway land, and inaccurate advice about access routes, which I sincerely hope you will put right in your Guides.

Best wishes

Steve
    (WSW)[/quote:3ewa0fd6]

Of the present WSR calender several of the photos are clearly taken from private land; February (Marshwood Farm), April (in between Blue Anchor and Dunster), October (?). Others have an ambiguous location.

I do, not absolutely do not agree, that any of the information I gave is wrong.

I'm sorry you have withdrawn your apology

2. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Columbine you may be unhappy with the response you have been given . Although i must agree that you are really pushing the limit by giving directions over non public areas to get photographs and videos .....I think it is better that you have deletted them , If you could do a proper Photo-guide that has Photograph locations and are also legal to acess then id prob defently look at it for referance .

But till that time . Please dont make us feel sorry for you cause were having ago at you for publishing directions on how to basicly tresspass.

3. Of the present WSR calender several of the photos are clearly taken from private land; February (Marshwood Farm), April (in between Blue Anchor and Dunster), October (?). Others have an ambiguous location.

I do, not absolutely do not agree, that any of the information I gave is wrong.

I'm sorry you have withdrawn your apology[/quote:2f9jjbjx]

Columbine, please read the previous posts carefully.

For your benefit, I repeat my first post on this subject "A useful document but some of the map reading is suspect. And just a word of warning that some of the WSR locations are on private land (Marshwood Farm crossing), some of the "public" footpaths are not public at all (the last part of the suggested access to the latter location is not a public footpath; and the "bridleway" to the "factory" at Dunster is actually a private road to the sewage works), and the WSR do not, in my view, sanction access to non-public areas of the railway to non-permit holders (Washford Bank via war memorial). The WSR do not encourage trespass on neighbouring land so, if you do not have a valid WSR lineside permit, and you do not have permission from the landowner, please stick to public areas only when visiting the WSR for photography. Ta."

You may now re-consider your latest comments about the WSR 2009 calendar, since it is quite reasonable to assume the pictures taken on neighbouring land were done so with permission from landowners. I refer you, again, to my first post. What is unacceptable is access without prior permission, which in some cases, you seem to suggest. For the record, my view on each picture in the 2009 calendar:
    Cover - from public road
    Jan - lineside permit
    Feb - photographer known to have good relations with farmer
    Mar - station platform
    Apr - from public footpath
    May - photographer known to have good relations with farmer
    June - from public road
    July - lineside permit
    Aug - from public road
    Sep - lineside permit
    Oct - from public road
    Nov - from public road
    Dec - from public footpath

You clearly refuse to accept and correct errors and I wish you would have a change of heart. If you still claim the road from Dunster West Crossing to the west is a "bridleway" then you are quite wrong as it is clearly marked as a "private road". If I am wrong, then I'd be grateful for your evidence.

And I must also repeat that I did not apologise to you for anything other than your unfair assumption that I was "sniping" at you. I merely asked you to review the advice within your WSR guide. Once again, I suggest you re-read the previous posts.

I believe my comments on your WSR guide are fair, useful and constructive, and I sincerely hope you can bring yourself to review and correct the WSR guide, which, when corrected, will provide the photography community with a very useful document, and help the WSR maintain good relations with its neighbours. I am confident a fair person could not disagree with that sentiment.

Best wishes

Steve
    (WSW)

4. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

Small Prarie, Steve, my thoughts exactly. Encouraging people to do wrong and something potentially dangerous, is stupid. Sometimes you just have to accept that.