If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Conwy Valley gradient profile

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jark91, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Jark91

Jark91 Member

I'm looking for the gradient profile for the Conwy Valley branch - could anybody help me out? It would be much appreciated.

2. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Hi
    Sorry bit late in seeing this, have attached a profile for Bettws-Blaenau.
    Some years ago I did see a profile in a box on the line which I can only presume was llanwrst.

Attached Files:

3. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it! Cheers very much.

4. HoPpY

HoPpY Guest

May be a bit late now, but this profile has been "interpreted/annotated". The 1 in 36 annotation is wrong. It should be 1 in 56.

Evidence:

(1) Look at the scale of the climbs on the profile.

(2) 45231 stalled on the 1 in 47 - the steepest bit!

(3) Network Rail Excel spreadsheet showing "steep" gradients has the entry as 1 in 56 from 16m 1038yds to 17 m 915 yards.

HTH

:eek:)
    HoPpY

5. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

In English, it's ConWAY not Conwy. You don't see English people demanding that Welsh spell London "London" (i.e. no Llundain), or Hereford as "Hereford" and not Henffordd, so why do the Welsh insist on changing names in English to their own spelling?

6. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    May I draw your attention to the following from wiki: Conwy (formerly known in English as Conway)

Conway was never correct in either English or Welsh but simply a form that made it look more English. What is so difficult about Conwy?

7. NBDR Lock

NBDR Lock New Member

I'd not seen this thread before, as it started before I joined, but if it's not too late for Jark91's purposes I have a copy of the attached gradient diagram, which dates from the early 1970's.

Attached Files:

8. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Which wiki? A wiki is a website editable by anyone, including Welsh nationalists.