If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Conwy Valley Steam-Aug 2009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ray Mason, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Ray Mason

Ray Mason Member

RTC have the 2009/10 brochure on line

In August there are 2 steam trips advertised on Wednesdays which MAY interest forum members! Whilst part of an inclusive trip--incl the Cambrian Coast etc -- I believe an all-day programme will be announced later

Whilst I have a rough idea of the plan its "early days" yet so please be patient.

My post is simply to suggest you keep the odd Wed free in August IF .......................

Hoping to meet some forum members on a Welsh branch which I certainly need for steam!!!

2. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    Yes, plans for later in the year look exciting --once I'd worked out how to read/enlarge the brochure pages online.
    Good luck to them with the multi day tours, with the current credit crunch.

3. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

Was booked on RTC's Welsh Mountainer due to run on the 5th April 08, later redated to July 12th 08 but was cancelled again. They said that they planned to run the tour during 2009 which Ian Riley's Back Fives.
    Will certainly be on them if confirmed, as like you need that route for steam.

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Steam to Blaenau looks tasty. Not a million miles away from the Welsh Highland Railway due to open from Porthmadog all the way to Caernarfon this year. That and the Cambrian Coast steam; a week's holiday in North Wales looks on the cards!

Big question will be whether I can join this train at somewhere like Chester.

John

5. Ray Mason

Ray Mason Member

Crewe definately!! still early days but plan looks imaginative. Hope to meet up in Wales John!!

6. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    What do you mean "still early days" ???

These products are being advertised on open sale with full descriptions

Are you saying that Mr D is selling something that he has not yet contracted for?

Oh - by the way -

You are aware that due to a dispute between the FR (WHR) and the Welsh Assembly, that final opening to Portmadoc has been postponed

7. Ray Mason

Ray Mason Member

Wait + See !!  I'm off to Sri Lanka soon -- I hope to find out if the Sentinel Railcar can be steamed on the 2'6" at the depot(work trip,honestly)
    My post was a FRIENDLY tip for those of us who "need" Conwy to keep an eye out.Just to clarify -- I am friends with many tour promotors but have no commercial or financial relationship--only friendship. As a tour leader I worked "voluntarily" but have not led overseas trips for some time as  I am now a paying customer + no longer steward in the UK (they are truly heros)
    Final outcome for Conwy may be v exciting- However,its inappropiate for me to say more--I'm an enthusiast(former MCIT) who wishes ALL main line operators well+is excited at 2009 proposals. And yes--some may not come off but I especially hope Penistone/Conwy/Palatine/60163 VSOE-York happen..as well as the 3 ambitous Anglo/Sottish bashes and.........!!!!!!!MODS - Sorry its a ramble--probably the shock of buying my FIRST Club 55 ticket(a  cheapie for over 55s in FGW)--eek--next is my bus pass/sen cit r/c + SNOW.

Back to work + a couple of E mails to answer... Then maybe book the TinBath...!!!

8. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

Ray - I accept you are tipping us off - but when you go to the RTC brochure everything is set out in stark detail and Dobbin is asking the punters to tip up sums into four figures for his offerings - now.

Well I for one am not going to put up good money if what is being advertised is in the realms of dreamland unless I am damned sure that either - what is being sold exists - in the form of committed contracts - or I am merely putting down a returnable deposit for something that is in the planning stage and my money will be held in trust - as the brochure says - returnable on demand if the final offering is - as so often happens - totally different from the original offer.

There is only one way to run a business and keep your reputation and that is to deliver on your promises.

The brochure is making promises - dates - locos - itineraries.

I think it is high time that RTC clarified its business ethos. Does it have everything signed up or not befor asking us to part with our hard earned - are you listening Kings Lynn?

9. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

I think you’re missing the point. Ray is hinting that we might have other ‘day’ trips to look forward too, in addition to the ones in the brochure mentioned. Get the drift?

Thanks for the info Ray, without such post this form would be much poorer.

10. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

No 7 - look at the RTC brochures for 2009/10

There is no mistake

RTC is hard selling various itineraries including the Conwy Valley - right now - then Ray comes on and says - watch out -its early days yet!

So which is it - are these itineraries pipe dreams in the early stages of planning and therefore premature for release to the market, or are they properly planned and contracted for events for which money can validly be taken?

Some of these itineraries run into four figures a pop - would you lay out that kind of money for something that doesn't exist??

Well - would you?

11. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Perhaps for this one we wait for Ian to give us the nod that it actually going ahead, then get the booking in... :-k