If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Corwen Extension

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by SIGNALNORTH, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't expect any cash input from Lord Newborough or any of his ilk. The Duke of Westminster has been our President for many years but has not invested any money to my knowledge, despite the fact that he probably makes the value of the extension every week of the year.

Bob.

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    this cant actually fail can it?? am i reading things wrong or is it just a case of if it take to long they wont get the grant money. so they would have to raise all the money them selves?? cos that wouldnt stop it all together, just delay things while they take years to raise money..

And hereby is the tale of everyday railway preservation in the current climate. In my opinion we have been manipulated by political do-gooders. So now we have to pay consultants for this, surveys for that, We have the box ticking culture where each box costs X thousands to fill in but makes no real progress or difference to the project. It is all just a massive con to create employment to keep lawyers and hangers-on on the gravy train.

Just look in relative terms how much was spent on legal and consultants fees 20 years ago and now. Now we have bigger paperwork obstacles which require bigger grants which require more consultants which require more fund raising. Go on tell me that I am wrong and that this really is for the benefit of the heritage community. Rant from a not so old man over..

3. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Have to agree with you! Political correctness , h & s, & the culture that it spawns, -'Oh better not do that, I can't make that decision, blah, blah' is RUINING this country.!!

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Its not just voluntary activities - its every business in the country that faces these impositions by the paperwork addicted file shufflers from the Town Halls and Whitehall, and not one word adds anything to the value or professionalism of the final product - and they wonder why so much of our former economic activity is now east of Java, and why there is no employment for anyone bereft of a B whether it be A or Sc!

Its a continuing disgrace and disincentive to economic or voluntary activity which shows no sign of going away any time soon.

5. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Will the government / WAG being in "purdah" affect the timeline?

6. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
  7. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

well hopefully the previous negative news report has shaken some people up for the better.

8. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Well at least that's the tree huggers out of the way.

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Don't you believe it - they will be watching the work, ready to pounce, the first time that a spec of dust lands on a newt.

10. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I may just be excessively cynical, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the WAG have decided that they don't really want to come up with the grant funding that they had previously promised to the Corwen project and that the final extension of the deadline to August 31st, while ostensibly casting them in a good light by allowing the railway five more months to respond to the WAG's additional demands, has been finely calculated to be virtually unreachable by the railway...

11. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    The LR has now started an appeal called "Corwen - The Final Push" and all LR members have been given a leaflet detailing the project in the recent in-house mag.

12. lil Bear

Railway Technician
  13. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Who's doing this website??

14. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    An optimist !

Bob.

15. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    A guy called Keiran Morton. Don't know anything about him, just know that John Rutter mentioned the link on Facebook.

16. Martin Perry

Some good news:

17. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    As there is a week and a bit left until the end of August, is there still any chance of the WAG grant funding package or has that been lost for good?

18. Martin Perry

Sorry I don't personally know, hopefully there is.

19. Evan DMU

Evan DMU New Member

The local press are carrying stories on this today which provide more information:-

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/92386/funding-doubts-over-plans-to-extend-llangollen-railway.aspx

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...en-could-be-set-back-a-decade-55578-27122901/

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/discussi...-wreck-steam-buffs-rail-dream-55578-27122687/

Briefly - the original grant offer of £1.2m is now no longer available. A grant of £500,000 has been offered instead provided that work starts by March 31 2012 - and is matched by the Railway.
    The total project cost as quoted is £4.6m which would mean that the Railway would have to find £4.1m. A useful guide as to the practicality of raising this from within is that the Railway has sold only about 700,000 £1 shares since it became a PLC around 15 years ago.

I understand that negotiations with the Welsh Assembly (and others) over the Transport and Works Order were very difficult and prolonged and indeed there are still matters, such as a countryside management agreement, which have to be concluded before construction can commence.

Unless the WAG suddenly come up with another large grant (which given the current economic situation is unlikely), or the Railway receives massive donations or suddenly sells a lot of shares (also fairly unlikely) it seems to me as though the current Corwen scheme is massively underfinanced.

Much as though we would all like to see the extension I cannot see how it can go ahead without a substantial revision to reduce the overall cost, which is, after all, rather a lot for two miles of railway line.

Evan

20. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

So what is actually costing 4.5 million?? because most railways need 1 mil per mile? is it the construction of the station? does anyone know the break down of the cost?