If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cotswold Line - Advice please!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by GeoffS75, Dec 13, 2012.

1. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

Morning!

I see the Cathedrals Express hauled by Britannia is heading along the Cotswold Line from Oxford to Worcester next Wednesday (19th Dec)

Can anyone who has experience of photographing steam on this line offer advice on good locations between Moreton-in Marsh and Pershore please? If it stays cold and frosty then it should be quite a sight.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Geoff

(Apologies for the typo in the thread title. Cold fingers not working.)

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    title corrected

There is a climb up to Chipping Campden . 5944 found a great location near Broad Campden. Have a look on Flickr and find his photostream , train in landscape . from there it is downhill run to Honeybourne and there is a road overbridge near Mickleton which then parallels the line to almost Honeybourne . There is also a single track section Evesham to Norton (??)

3. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the advice (and the title correction!). The countryside is quite open around Broad Campden/Paxford so will track down 5944's photostream for some inspiration. There is a great photo of 6201 on the single track section a couple of weeks back on the Broadway Station Blog but that would be a bit further away to sneak from work :)

Geoff

4. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Try this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5944/8067802431/

Richard

5. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I only found that spot after seeing Neil's shot. It's nice and easy to find, head east on the road out of Broad Campden for about 1/4 mile or so and there's a a couple of rusty gates guarding the entrance to a field.

I did wonder if there's a shot closer to the line. In October I didn't have any time to have a proper look around, and anyway there seemed to be a lot of tall grass alongside the track. It should have died down a bit now.

Another spot I found, which wasn't great in July, was on the A436 roadbridge at the site of Adlestrop station. The timings for next week are about 45 minutes later, so the light should be a bit better, and the bare trees should look a lot better.

Adlestrop | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

Thanks for the replies, Adlestrop looks a good option and the sort of thing I had in mind. Fingers crossed for good weather.

8. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

Is anyone heading out for 34046 this Saturday? I would like to try and get a panning shot so if anyone has an inspiration it would be appreciated! Possibly heading down from Campden tunnel towards Honeybourne might work though not easy to park on that bit of road.

Cheers!